Process of overcoming my addiction

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Well, for the gazillionth time I am trying to overcome this addiction I have.
Monday was the first day of not acting on it and today is the 7th day.

In the past the longest I have gone is 8 months? but that was a one off but I want this to be a permanent and lifelong change.

calypso

calypso

Admin
What is the addiction you are overcoming? Best of luck and remember our imagination is stronger than our will power so "see" yourself free rather than just trying to "Will" it gone.

F

Fancyharm

Well done for getting so far, you have done well.

I don't even know you and I feel proud of you. And by coming on here you are helping others to see how well you have done and forum members can give you support.

Please tell us more about your addiction and your process.

I hope to see you back on here soon.

Well done xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I would be embarrassed and ashamed to say what the addiction is but what I can say is that it's not alcohol or drugs.

I think within the next few days I will get strong feelings /thoughts to act on the addiction but I will get through that.

F

Fancyharm

If you would rather keep it to yourself, that is perfectly fine with me.

But remember that you are amongst friends on here and if you do feel able to talk about your addiction then there may just be someone here that can offer you some support. If not, speak to your doctor and ask for help that way, but you deserve and should be able to access help whatever the addiction is.

Try and make a plan for when the strong feelings come over you. Write things down on paper that have helped you in the past. Does something like severe boredom make you want to return to the addiction perhaps? Does a behaviour loop occur and the addiction forms part of the loop? Perhaps write the loop down on paper in a circular pattern with arrows and make a plan of how you could stop the cycle of the loop.

I write things down in a notebook and I can just pick the book up at anytime and read my notes. It is too easy to forget things that have helped us to get over previous episodes.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Thank you. Well when the feelings and thoughts become strong i'll post back on here and try to describe it.

F

Fancyharm

That's a good plan. Try to describe the feelings and thoughts as best as you can at the time. The forum members will help you and I will too.

You are doing really well. That 8 month record can be smashed, I'm sure of it. But for now take it one day at a time, and see it as having a plan for each time it strikes, not necessarily needing a miracle cure for a whole huge future ahead.

Looking forward to helping you. XxxxxxX

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hey folks, well now i've got the feelings mostly and thoughts of giving in.
It's stronger now.
As for how this feels, well there's like a feeling on my head but more to the front of it, around the forehead. But also there was a feeling at the top of my head but not right at the top but halfway.
Maybe like a inflammed feeling?

If I get through today then it will be 12 days.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Well I gave in again. I will start again.

Bernardos

Bernardos

I know how you feel for sure cause i struggle with this as well with several addictions.
What seems to work for me is to not count the days for how long i have not relapsed.
If i constantly keep my mind on it i eventually failmy progress if that's make a bit sense
Sometimes it takes a couple of relapsed before you can finally quit your addiction.
Just keep hanging in there,don't give up and don't feel guilty that you relapse,you're doing the best you can.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Getting Your Life Back! 4