• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Problems with speech/reading/listening to speech.

M

mbarley48

Bear with me on this...

On Monday (3 days ago at the time of writing this), I had a migraine, which is a usual thing for me. I've been getting them for years. A common symptom for me DURING the migraine (through the stages of visual aura and pain) is impaired ability to read, talk or understand speech. Not so much that it's impossible for me to talk or type, for example, but it becomes more difficult. However, I did experience a strange symptom before the migraine that I'd never had before, which was sort of tunnel vision (I think), and my hands felt very weird and almost misshapen, but I've read that these are normal symptoms.

But, why am I posting this on a mental health forum, you might ask? Well...

Yesterday and today, when I read words and sentences, they sometimes seem to get jumbled up. For example, earlier, I read the sentence "I suspect a lot of us" as "a lot of us suspect us", but I instantly realised that I'd read it wrong, so I re-read it more clearly. Also, I kept reading the word "favour" as "flavour" in my head, then correcting myself, and I even got pretty frustrated when I read it wrong for the fourth time in a row.

I think I'm over-thinking it too now, because I keep analysing every word or sentence I hear or read, and I play sentences over in my head after I've said them as if I'm double-checking what I've said like one would do when typing. It's frustrating, because I pay more attention to the words that people are saying rather than the meaning behind their entire speech, and I often find myself thinking "is that word I just said the correct word to use there?" or sometimes, someone will say a word and it sounds new to me, but I know it isn't because I still made sense of what the person said.

It's very confusing for me and it's making me feel quite nervous, anxious and down. Any thoughts on what might be going on inside my noggin? Is it related to migraines or is it something more serious?

SarahD

SarahD

Hi mbarley

Welcome to the forum.

I get migraine with aura and have a blind spot during the worst part of the aura. And I know someone with migraine who used to get paralysed when it happened. So I know there can be a lot of strange effects. I also have times when I read things wrong, not sure they are related. However you are going to have to ask your GP about this, to find out the answer. Other forum members may be able to advise but we can't diagnose.

Hope you enjoy the forum

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B string of potential issues causing speech problems. Quite lost in terms of what i should do. Mental Health Experiences 4
flowergirl problems with speech Mental Health Experiences 3
J Problems with Anti-depressant Pills (SSRI) Mental Health Experiences 3
S Mental problems hindering me at every level Mental Health Experiences 9
jajingna Why do people deny mental health problems? Mental Health Experiences 15
J Need some help... problems at home Mental Health Experiences 4
B help with problems ? ♡ Mental Health Experiences 4
P I don't know where to post this. Dealing with multiple problems at the same time. Mental Health Experiences 2
M Family problems - split with mum causing deep anxiety Mental Health Experiences 2
V Parent problems Mental Health Experiences 3
S What it's like when everyone in the house has mental problems Mental Health Experiences 4
T Are sleep problems related to mental problems Mental Health Experiences 2
T I feel depressed. My mental problems are stopping me from living Mental Health Experiences 1
J Telepathy problems Mental Health Experiences 21
jajingna Do most people have mental health problems? Mental Health Experiences 13
H dont tell my friends about my problems Mental Health Experiences 4
jajingna The invisibility of our problems Mental Health Experiences 2
T I feel like shit even though i don't have real problems Mental Health Experiences 22
Mr Oreo Bunny Are mental health problems related to other things?? Mental Health Experiences 2
Mr Oreo Bunny Everyone else has such real problems Mental Health Experiences 5
D More family problems... Mental Health Experiences 1
A Problems with my mindset Mental Health Experiences 5
W Why do people get mental health problems Mental Health Experiences 20
silentEden 19 years old and memory problems Mental Health Experiences 6
O Struggling to cope with mental health problems Mental Health Experiences 4
J I feel like my problems are being minimized by my doctors... Mental Health Experiences 4
Iuris Problems with adulting Mental Health Experiences 2
D Family Problems - Not sure where to post. Mental Health Experiences 4
D Libido problems in men Mental Health Experiences 2
D Mental Problems, Men 25 years old. Mental Health Experiences 4
D Traumatised by my own mental health problems or just social anxiety. Am I t Mental Health Experiences 4
S Interacting with family members who dislike people with mental health problems Mental Health Experiences 23
H Abuse anxiolitics, severe cognitive problems Mental Health Experiences 1
B How do you even date with Mental Health problems? Mental Health Experiences 11
I Are my problems serious enough to take care of them? Mental Health Experiences 3
Solitude1 Thinking Problems Mental Health Experiences 5
R My mental problems please advise me? Mental Health Experiences 8
M Heartbreak problems Mental Health Experiences 5
N Life problems Mental Health Experiences 4
M More problems Mental Health Experiences 3
B Too many problems and no one to tell them about.. Mental Health Experiences 7
F Problems with abusive girlfriend Mental Health Experiences 14
G Neighbour with anger problems - need advice Mental Health Experiences 3
M Advice needed Neighbour problems ,highlighted usefull advice incuded in this post Mental Health Experiences 2
S Family problems (trigger warning) Mental Health Experiences 12
Solitude1 Depression/Anxiety, Ridiculous Problems... Mental Health Experiences 3
G Financial problems by proxy Mental Health Experiences 7
C Severe anxiety, depression + severe memory problems Mental Health Experiences 1
N Being in Care as a child and suffering problems later in life? Mental Health Experiences 3
B I don't know what to do anymore. Feeling lonely and guy problems Mental Health Experiences 4