Problems with Social Phobia

T

TH1

Hello All,
I was diagnosed with Social Phobia, Anxious Personality Disorder and OCD in November 2011. I've suffered with mental illness since I was 14 years old and I'm 50 years old now. For the last 10 years I've plodded along like other people but since I gave up driving and having a car my Social Phobia has taken over my life, I thought that buying a off road mountain bike as well as a bike for the road it would help my mental and physical health.

I'm so fearful of going out, I keep saying to my Wife that I'll go out tomorrow then its the day after and the day after that. I hate my Life and what I've become, no one understands what its like, that is apart from you.

I use to be a volunteer driver for many years off and on but it wasn't until I gave up the car that I realised that the driving was masking my Social Phobia, now I can't go out and my life is the pits. How do you all cope with this illness. Do any of you go mountain bike riding or normal bike riding and how do you cope with it, when I drove the car as a volunteer driver I think that I used a personna so people never seen the real me if that makes sense.

Boy I do miss driving a bit as I felt safe it the car but that ship has sailed now and I've got the bikes which any normal person would love but I'm not normal by any means. Sorry for the long page but I just wanted to see if anyone felt the same as me. Thanks for listening.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi there and welcome.
SP is an awful thing and one that is not talked about in the press much. But I find it completely debilitating. If you say to someone your scared of the supermarket they are puzzled as to why . But until they’ve actually frozen or burst into tears when outside they will never understand.
You don’t say if your on any medication for this and I do think they can help. I do have other medical issues as well as the anxiety, but I take duloxitine and mirtazipine and propanalol but also as needed lorazepam. And they do help
Although retired I do voluntary work cos if I didn’t I wouldn’t leave the house. I still find it hard to go out to my job and really have to force myself but do enjoy it when I get there.
With SP/SA you do have to push yourself otherwise you will become housebound.

T

TH1

Hey daffy,
Yeh I'm on Amitriptyline 200mg a night that my Consultant Psychiatrist said I should stop on as they help with my eating and sleeping, if I can control these two things then I can function. My new Doctors are useless so I try to help myself. I also have type two diabetes which is also controlled with Diet, Medication and exercise. I know that I have to push myself and I think that I've done very well to do that, I've had a business in the past as well as running my own Charity.

Its hard now as I'm that bit older and that's not an excuse, I just want to hear from other people and see how they cope with Social Phobia from day to day. When trying to tell people what SP is like I say this, think of something that you love doing then one day you get hypnotised and after that no mater how much you want to do what you love you can't... Thats what it's like to me.