• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Problems with noise(s)

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
This may sound strange or not (I've never met anyone with this problem), but I have a problem with noises.
So many times every day, I need to literally dig my fingernails out of the ceiling because of my reaction to noise.
I know why I am this way, but knowing that doesn't make it stop. It's an adrenaline reaction based on repeatedly being attacked as a child, among other things.
It doesn't even have to be a loud noise, just a sudden one. It's exausting me. I get bad headaches.
I've had people laugh at me for it, saying I shouldn't over-react like that...it was just a noise. I politely smile and tell them I'm sorry and they're right. AAARGH!
Does anyone else ever have to deal with this kind of problem??

R

riverofdragons

Yes i have, though it only happens when im feeling exhausted and delicate. It does last for a few hours at a time, but usually going to sleep seems to reset me. Its probably not the same thing, but i do have some idea of how disturbing and upsetting it can be..especially other peoples reaction to it.

S

Sammisal

On occasions I get this too. Generally when I'm feeling particularly low. I'm quite lucky in that it's never happened when I'm with unsympathetic people (sometimes in public, but on the times I get the loud noise thing there's a lot more going wrong with my head, so that is, I imagine, the least anyone around me is thinking of). Saying that, I do find it quite distressing, to say the least!

F

faeriedreams

noises

Noises have been bothering me lately too. It can be just as little as a finger tap, but it is very distracting and I would love to break that person's fingers. Try having teenagers, that bicker all the time. It is so hard to explain to them that noise bothers me. I get a million questions as to why it bothers me. Any suggestions on how to deal with that?

keepsafe

keepsafe

Yes the slightest noise that I am not expecting and I am up on the ceiling or feel like my heart is about to explode. Its not very pleasant at all - I had to stop driving for a while because road surface noise was giving me panic attacks.

Scared of my own shadow

F

Fruit Loop

I thought it was just me going mad. I am so glad that I am not alone.

It can be someone who speaks to me, asking a question, the toaster popping up or a simple everyday noise and I jump. I find it so exhausting. I cannot watch much tv because I spend so much time jumping/flinching. I avoid simple things because of this over reaction.

With repetitive noises they drive me to distraction and I get so wound up. Things like the washing machine cycle, kids bouncing a ball makes me want to explode.

With the lack of sleep, the jumping/flinching, exhaustion, frustration, anger it gets me down and makes my struggle coping even harder than it is already when suffering from depression. Any advice welcome.

Fruit Loop

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Reasonable adjustments for disability IMHO should include housing you somewhere quiet, i hate noise, i meditate and am always looking for somewhere quiet, werever i go i'm invading someones teritory and get snarled at when i'm trying to relax, sometimes i find a quiet seat in a shopping centre, close my eyes and they use the mosquito on me

I think if they can spend all that money making places wheel chair accessible they could tackle the mentally ill needing quiet, after all mental ilness is more common than wheelchairs, i know in reality there isn't the public sympathy

Q

quality factor

Hi, I have been through phases of being bothered by noise, whether it be excessively loud or just quiet.
My horrible neighbours used to drag their kitchen chairs repeatedly over a stone floor to annoy me at all hours of the day or night. Now I absolutely cannot stand that noise, usually in coffee places when folks get their chairs out or put them back. I instinctively go in to a panic attack and put my hands over my ears. I am getting upset even thinking about it whilst I write.
Also just before I left teaching I became extremely sensitive to the noise that 30 x6 year olds made in the classroom...boy it was hell.:mad:

Last edited:
D

Dollit

I always am extra sensitive to noise under stress or when I am ill. It's one of those universal things it seems.

What is worse is that my sense of smell heightens (which my consultant assures me is neurotic and more often seen in women) and I can often track someone with BO through the supermarket.

Q

quality factor

I always am extra sensitive to noise under stress or when I am ill. It's one of those universal things it seems.

What is worse is that my sense of smell heightens (which my consultant assures me is neurotic and more often seen in women) and I can often track someone with BO through the supermarket.
Dollit..you need to be careful you're not arrested for stalking!!!!!:LOL:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
At the moment i've got an alky in the flat opposite and theres always rows breaking out, then theres an indian upstairs and i think theres truth in the old pakistani neighbour jokes, he's got 4 or 5 people staying with him in a bedsit and the noise goes on day and night, i'd like to sit in the garden and meditate but one neighbour has moved a massive dog into the garden and it's convinced thats it's teritory.

I can't complain about all the neighbours, i'm hoping when we're taken over by the sally army that some of the workers will see doing right as they're religious duty instead of the present lot who just want a quiet life and push things under the carpet

I do think in view of my disability it would be a reasonable adjustment to give me peace and quiet

G

Growsthings

I feel quite physically sick with sudden loud noise, my neighbour has a dog that controls her by barking at her, she then tries to shout over the dog "be quiet", "be quiet", which is just as bad :(

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Just to say i've got used to the massive dog, we're now friends

Had an argument with my sister she reckons it's ok to talk in the quiet zone on the train whilst i can't relax if people are talking, i'm going on the intercity tommorrow

One of my thought is rules are open to interpretation, my sister been successful can bend the rules and no one will say anything, if i as much as bend a rule they'll come down on me like a tonne of bricks

Not looking forwars to the train journey, also the connections, i've booked a first class ticket a month in advance, i can only catch 1 train, call it paranoia but they always ask to see my ticket when i go into the first class lounge they don't ask the businessmen

L

Luís

Believe me, you're not the only one. I started to get sensible to noises recently and I'm really getting tired of it. It's like the noise repeats in my mind over and over again. Is this some kind or disease or something? Can someone help me?