• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Problems at Work

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
Hello, just wondering if anyone can help as I'm not entirely sure that I was treated right. I hope this actually makes sense.

Basically, my employer came to see me and told me my work wasn't up to scratch, I was quite shocked as I've been doing this for years! I asked him to show me examples and he struggled to find any, the one he found was something that seemed like it had simply come up when I'd had a day off and he'd done my work. Obviously, as a school cleaner, some days the classrooms are worse than others, and I'm pretty sure he just came in to cover for me when they'd had wet plays so the floors were worse etc (if you can imagines hundreds of primary school children running mud through a school!). They've also been having work done on the school recently, so obviously there is more dust around...he even said they are generating more dust himself. Therefore, when he came in to cover, it WAS going to look like it hadn't been done as recently as it had. I tried to plead my case, but he didn't want to know.

However, I'm still on trial...he can 'let me go' anytime for another week. I am POSITIVE my work is up to scratch, he even said he had had no complaints about my work (although he thinks it is 'filthy' it isn't anything of the sort). It was the most random, out of the blue conversation I have ever had. I felt like he was just fishing for problems, like he wants me to go before the end of next week. I was having the worse day ever, and just broke down, and he took that to mean that I wasn't able to do the job. He just kept finding any excuse that would mean I would have to leave.

I have since told him I want to get my work 'up to scratch' asap and if he can come in and show me anything that needs attention would he please do so as I don't want to dissappoint him again. (I reallllllly can't afford to lose this job) I feel like I'm admitting defeat when I know I'm in the right, but I just don't know how to deal with someone who seems hell bent on dismissing me during my trial. The only thing is, normally, I would have dealt with this SO much better, I would have been able to stand up for myself, but because I was so down and stressed, I just couldn't.

Any advice?

Q

quigon

Hi Clucky. What I would suggest you do is ask for a meeting with your manager. Apologise to him for breaking down the way you did (I know you shouldn't have to but it wouldn't hurt) and then ask him what he thinks you are doing wrong and can he help you improve. This way you are putting all the onus on him. You are showing willing to try and improve. You can't do more than that. If he is out to get rid of you the chances are there won't be much you can do anyway. Asking for his help will go some way to you doing as much as you can. After all, apart from your job, what have you got to lose?

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
This is exactly what my friends told me to do. It's just very difficult when if he decides to get rid of me, then I can't pay next month's rent. Obviously, there aren't many jobs going atm. I have now spoken to him and said everything I needed to. Hopefully, this will help put me in a positive light.

Q

quigon

Like I said, if he is intent on getting rid of you there may not be anything you can do t stop him. It would be good to prepare for a worse case scenario and enquire about rent support and so on. Go to your local employment exchange and have a chat there. You never know, you might even find a better job.

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
I am a student, so I would have to go to the university, see if I could get anything sorted. I do have all my loans and stuff, but I come from a family which is not very well off at all, so where many students get support from their family, I actually can't get anything. I can get more student support if I have to, but I'd rather not have the debt. But at the end of the day, I just want a bed and food!

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

When is your trial period up Clucky?

You do have rights however you have a lot more rights once trial period is completed.

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
According to him, it finishes next Thursday. Which is 5 weeks to the day I started. However, I'm pretty sure I was told originally it was a week (I did think it was a bit short, but who was I to complain). Then yesterday, he was saying it was 4 weeks, we've had a half term, so I think he's taking that out of the equation as I obviously didn't work that week.

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

According to him, it finishes next Thursday. Which is 5 weeks to the day I started. However, I'm pretty sure I was told originally it was a week (I did think it was a bit short, but who was I to complain). Then yesterday, he was saying it was 4 weeks, we've had a half term, so I think he's taking that out of the equation as I obviously didn't work that week.
As someone has already pointed out what does it say in your contract? (contracts can be verbal as well as written). Usually trial periods are roughly 3 months depending on the type of job of course.

D

dreambuggieII

god - i'm sorry to hear this.

sounds very suspicious?

Out of the blue?

If you want your job, i get the feeling you need to fight.

how do you feel about going to court?

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
I only have a verbal contract, I haven't signed anything. He hasn't given me any actual terms, when I asked about how the sick pay works (as in my last job I was relief staff, so I wasn't paid for holidays/sick) he didn't know. I just feel like I'm being fobbed off. I think I do need to 'fight' but then again I don't need the stress right now, as I'm having a really bad time both psycologically and with family stuff.

Q

quigon

Who actually is your employer as the more I hear from you the more I am thinking that he sounds more of a cowboy operator every minute?

D

dreambuggieII

Clucky:

You have two options

You either fight and get stressed
Or you walk away with no job - but still keep your CV history clear with view to gain employment later on. Employers frown upon "upstarts" in reality.

Weigh up whether you can survive without money the ESA can sort out money reasonably quickly over the phone. All you need is a sick note - given by your GP.

Here is the ESA number. 0800 055 66 88.

You apply over the phone and bullshit illhealth. Which is the truth.

Here is the website
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/employment-and-support/.

If you need a hand.
I can try and lend an ear and offer advice. I used to work for Mind. I am a mental too!.

First please call me for a brief chat. **** *** ****. (Number suppressed in line with forum rules)

Last edited by a moderator:
DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Dreambuggie I dont think its a good idea to post your home phone number on a public forum as unfortunatley you never know who may be reading this. Why not pm clucky instead?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hillman hunter Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 26