• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Problem with slurs?

A

alchemist223

Hello Psychology Forum

I am a new user, and I just really feel the need to discuss a phenomenon that has been recently occurring in my life. In the previous few months, every time I partake in a social interaction or communicate online/through text with other people, I have been terrified that I have used slurs throughout my conversation (talking, texts, posts, or even homework assignments), such as the n-word and others. Ordinarily I think these are horrible words that are unacceptable in any context.

Although, to my knowledge, I have never actually said any such things, this makes me feel as if I cannot comfortably carry out a conversation with anybody, or even fill out forms online and such. When I go back and look at posts and assignments I submit, I have never actually found myself saying such slurs (at least according to my parents), but keep playing out the consequences in my head (such as not getting any jobs in the future, social ostracism, and so on) and have anxiety attacks. I always end up feeling like a really horrible person in the end, such as being a racist. This occurs at least once a day, and has gotten to the point where I constantly check my internet history, text messages, and so forth.

This has intensified in recent events, such as the use of Zoom due to quarantine and protests over the murder of George Floyd. I really need help with this. I need to move forward in my life and gain confidence in myself.

Z

Zoe1

from doing a search , might be touristic ocd
that is not a diagnosis because I'm not a doctor
but Tourettes and ocd can be related sometimes
if you fear you will say unacceptable things

:welcome: to the forum ! :grouphug:🌝💜🛸🎼

D

Dispatch

Hello Psychology Forum

I am a new user, and I just really feel the need to discuss a phenomenon that has been recently occurring in my life. In the previous few months, every time I partake in a social interaction or communicate online/through text with other people, I have been terrified that I have used slurs throughout my conversation (talking, texts, posts, or even homework assignments), such as the n-word and others. Ordinarily I think these are horrible words that are unacceptable in any context.

Although, to my knowledge, I have never actually said any such things, this makes me feel as if I cannot comfortably carry out a conversation with anybody, or even fill out forms online and such. When I go back and look at posts and assignments I submit, I have never actually found myself saying such slurs (at least according to my parents), but keep playing out the consequences in my head (such as not getting any jobs in the future, social ostracism, and so on) and have anxiety attacks. I always end up feeling like a really horrible person in the end, such as being a racist. This occurs at least once a day, and has gotten to the point where I constantly check my internet history, text messages, and so forth.

This has intensified in recent events, such as the use of Zoom due to quarantine and protests over the murder of George Floyd. I really need help with this. I need to move forward in my life and gain confidence in myself.
I think your post is very important in today’s world ... IMO I believe what’s causing you all of this unnecessary stress and anxiety is the PC / cancel culture we all find ourselves in ... btw, the PC culture is specifically designed to keep people silent if they don’t happen to agree with the “mob” definition of certain subjects.
That leaves you with a decision to make ... are you going to acquiesce to the mob and perhaps find yourself judging someone else unfairly or will you know you are a good and loving person and possibly have to stand up to the mob when you know they’re wrong ... I’m afraid that’s the world we find ourselves in these days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Social Anxiety Forum 1
A Social Anxiety Forum 1
T Social Anxiety Forum 3