• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Problem of having no say in medication choice

Girlrobin

Girlrobin

Hi
I have read forum for many years but hardly posted. Now am feeling quite desperate
I have been stable for 5 years. Diagnosed with schizophrenia, bi polar and now I think schizzoaffective. I have had psychosis quite a lot of times in past and been hospitalized.
Recently have felt a worsening of mental health since late last year and tried to get extra support but been refused.
Have at beginning of this month experienced two traumatic events that have simultaneously led to my two main avenues of support being cut off.
Basically last week spoke to psychiatrist at regular appointment got a bit angry said I needed something mentioned antidepressant and she prescribed mirtazapine. I researched it and decided didn't want to take. This week felt my symptoms worsen was very afraid was becoming ill. Told student nurse didn't want mirtazapine could I go back on antipsychotic which I know makes me stable and my body knows what to expect. Was told via student nurse again no take mirtazapine that or nothing. I feel incredibly angry and feel trapped in this position. Worse any anger I Express is pathologised as unreasonable and me not taking my medication. Feel there has been no give and take whatsoever.
Also psychiatrist said via nurse she cannot prescribe antipsychotic as I am not displaying symptoms of psychosis. Is this right? Do I have no option to return to antipsychotics even though they have worked well for me most of my life?
I am on lithium now for about one year it is ok but my emotions are more variable
Thanks very much anyone who has read sorry is rather long any input would be much appreciated

C

candycane

It sounds like to might be time,for a new psychiatrist.
Maybe talk to your regular doctor,and ask them to recommend,a new one.
I hope this helps.
I wish you all the luck,in the world,in getting the right help,that you need.

Girlrobin

Girlrobin

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my outpouring and your thoughtful reply. It means a lot to me.
Yes I think you may be right, I was seriously wanting to ask for another psychiatrist as had found her a bit inflexible and dismissive before this last appointment but thought I would give seeing her one more try but looks like maybe my concerns were founded.
All the very best to you too, wishing you well

Z

Zoe1

I had to get an advocate for this reason
to ensure that I be listened to at medical reviews

Girlrobin

Girlrobin

Thanks
My friend mentioned I could get an advocate via the local psychiatric hospital for my upcoming PIP review which same psychiatrist will not support me with and I had thought of trying them about this issue.
Do you know how I could get an advocate otherwise? It is a good idea

Girlrobin

Girlrobin

I hope getting an advocate was helpful for you

Z

Zoe1

yes an advocate was very helpful for me .
I don't know what is available in your part of the world

if you do a Google search for ' mental health advocacy ' in your area
see what comes up

if you can't find anything I would contact NAMI
which is an international mental health organisation

Girlrobin

Girlrobin

Thank you very much for that information it is really helpful
All the best

Z

Zoe1

you're welcome Girlrobin let us know how it goes !

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i remember when this really bad psychiatrists secretary typed up a psychiatrists letter, she put amisulpiride as she'd never heard of sulpiride and i got handed a prescription, if i hadn't an advocate i'd have been in trouble as they wouldn't have listened to me

now advocacy in my area appears to be for inpatients only

Girlrobin

Girlrobin

I'm sorry you had that experience. And glad it turned out ok. Yes, I guess getting your voice heard is a big problem. Think if your in hospital and having a bad reaction to a drug the odds are really stacked against you to get anyone to listen. And think on the outside if you need help and ask for it repeatedly because its what you need they just sometimes end up pigeon holing you as demanding and unreasonable and the more you ask the less they take any notice which is a very demoralising experience. Especially if you are classed 'stable' and on medication.

Girlrobin

Girlrobin

Just to update how my situation turned out. Well, this particular issue anyway. I took the Mirtazapine about a week ago as didn't really feel I had any other option. Fortunately it seems to have made me feel a lot better and is helping me sleep. I also have come to the top of a list for counselling through a charity which I thought was going to take maybe a year so am really pleased about that.
I don't think the mental health services handled me wanting more discussion about my medication very well though and I was lucky I had someone to turn to for support and get support elsewhere
Thanks for the replies

Girlrobin

Girlrobin

Advocacy in my area is too only for inpatients