• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Probably not the correct place to put this!

L

lbate0

Hi all,

Im new to this site. My names Laura and im 24. Im currently visiting a NHS Primary Care Nurse and have been for about 4 sessions now. During these sessions Ive been given work sheets to fill in etc. Although the nurse is really nice I dont feel its doing anything to help me mentally. When I tell her things she just says "Thats definitely something we can look into" But we never end up doing it!

Shes told me I have intrusive thoughts and has given me leaflets about depression, anxiety and sleeping disorders.One of my biggest worries is how I feel in certain situations. Ill give you an example. I was in my local supermarket the other day when I saw a little boy of about age 9 walked around with 2 sandwhiches in his hand. He was looking up and down each aisle obviously looking for his mum/dad. Automatically this bummed me out- it made me feel real sad. I think it was because the boy looked sad and he was looking for his mum or dad. Then while I was walking round I became increasingly sadder about the boy. I started to think that his mum wouldnt let him get the sandwhiches and that he wasnt looked after properly. I saw him around the freezer section and he was on his own. I was nearly crying by this point and couldnt concentrate until Id seen his parents and knew that he was ok.

Things like this always happens and its usually to do with children. I saw a boy onto of a motorway bridge doing the sign for lorries to toot their horn and this again made me very upset. A video on Youve been framed of a boy with a pair os scissors caught in his hair also upset me. He looked so upset at having them in his hair, but laughed in the end. I had to repeatedly watch the video.

I think ive woffled on enough. I think everything else Im seeing my nurse for doesnt upset me quite as much as this. Ive told my nurse but she seems to focus on my anger and anxiety more. Ive been searching and searching on the internet for something but cannot find anything. I relate a lot to Holden Claufield from Catcher in the Rye, but I believe he suffers from Post traumatic stress disorder and I dont believe I have that. I looked up Peter Pan Syndrome but I dont think its that either.

Has anyone heard of this before or know what it could possibly be/relate to? Id just like to know im not alone in this!

Thanks alot!:redface:

Pixie37

Pixie37

:welcome: to the forum. Unfortunately we can't diagnose on here but it sounds like your nurse is trying to get a picture of what you are going through. And that she is trying to give you the basic information just now to help with anxiety, depression and sleep. You do sound anxious and it may be coming out in the way you are worrying about children. If you have any questions just pm me or another forum buddy ok.

Pixie :)

TiredTina

TiredTina

Admin
:welcome: to the forum Laura, have you spoken to the nurse about the fact that you dont feel like the sessions are helping. You are obviously a very sensitive person and thats why you get so upset when you see something that worries you. Im sure that you are definitely not alone in this and there will be members on here that will be able to discuss this with you and offer you some support. Thats what we are here for, to offer support and to ask for support when we need it. It is a friendly forum and i hope that you find that you are able to talk further about your problems. Take care. Tina x

L

lbate0

Thanks guys. I havent spoken to her about the sessions, I feel a bit rude. Ill see how it goes, do you know if these sessions have a certain time scale?

Yeah she did mention that I was very sensitive but Im hoping there is some sort of help available as I want to be a teacher and I cant do that if Im going to be crying everytime I see a child!

Pixie37

Pixie37

Four sessions isn't that long. But try and tell her if you feel it's not helping. I've been seeing my nurse for about a year now. Do you see a psyciatrist as well?

piglet

piglet

Hiya hun and welcome to the forum :)

I agree with what has been said, most nurses like to get a good picture of what is going on and work on one thing at a time. Pretty much every time I have been in therapy I have giving them a massive list of all the stuff I struggle with and they have had to say to me lets take it one step at a time. I assume that is what the nurse is doing with you :)

Take care

L

lbate0

No, I just see this one nurse. She has me filling in work sheets and what not. She doesnt seem to remember alot of the things I say. I do feel as though im wasting her time.

piglet

piglet

Are they the sheets that ask you how your mood has been in the last week/2 weeks? If so I have filled in so many of them now I loose count. I was told they are so the nurse can see hoe your mood changes over a period of time.

If you really think the sessions aren't working for you you should tell the nurse, she might be able to alter the treatment plan or refer you to someone else.

Pixie37

Pixie37

yes the worksheets are to help the nurse and yourself to see what you need help with etc. They really help. You're not wasting her time at all she is there to help you.

pentagram

pentagram

I filled in a mood sheet for each of my 20 sessions over a 7 month period. I can't remember how I filled them in but at the end of the therapy my T gave me a graph with the weekly results filled in and it did show me that my thoughts were changing overthat period.

She also used them as Pixie says to see what is the most important things I needed help with.

L

lbate0

I'll deffo carry on filling in the sheets. Will the sessions carry on until the nurse thinks that im "cured" or is there a specific timescale?

Pixie37

Pixie37

I'm really glad to here you are going to stick with this. The work i'm doing with my nurse doesn't have a timescale just when we reach the end of the specific work we need to do. But i'd ask your nurse how long she will be working with you for :)

L

lbate0

Yeah I will do. It was only last week I told her about the getting upset around children bit. She seemed to skip passed it but Ive put a few thats happened this week on my sheets so Ill see what she says about that. I think thats the thing that bothers me the most.

Im working on anger issues as well, but the children thing worries me and it worries me even more that I cant find anything else about it on the internet!