• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Pristiq

S

siliconom

Yep SSRI can be over-stimulating.

As for sleep, I been taking an anti-psychotic called Seroquel (quetiapine) for 6.5 years now. It works very well at same low dose of 50mg. I could probably get by without it but if I stopped, there is a good chance I'd spend the next two weeks awake.

A better alternative for sleep is trazadone. Some folk take mirtazapine, another family of AD. There are also anti-histamines which make you drowsy. My doc buddy rarely prescribes sleeping pills any more because so addictive. There is a drug called zopiclone which is a sleeping pill with a hypnotic effect. Again, you develop tolerance with prolonged use.

I

Inie

Yep SSRI can be over-stimulating.

As for sleep, I been taking an anti-psychotic called Seroquel (quetiapine) for 6.5 years now. It works very well at same low dose of 50mg. I could probably get by without it but if I stopped, there is a good chance I'd spend the next two weeks awake.

A better alternative for sleep is trazadone. Some folk take mirtazapine, another family of AD. There are also anti-histamines which make you drowsy. My doc buddy rarely prescribes sleeping pills any more because so addictive. There is a drug called zopiclone which is a sleeping pill with a hypnotic effect. Again, you develop tolerance with prolonged use.
I was taking an anti-psychotic Zyprexa (olanzapine) low dose 2.5 mg for 2 months. The last time I took was 3 days ago. My sleep has been disrupted without it. The reason I stopped taking because I woke up 3 days in a row with pounding heart/ lightheadedness. Now I’m afraid to take but it worked in stabilizing me. Such a tough call. You are fortunate to be able to take the quetiapine for so long. I took Mirtazapine for 2 years then tapered off since I developed a tolerance. I have an antihistamine (Atarax) on hand might take that tonight. I need to talk to my psych to give me something suitable for sleep if I don’t continue the olanzapine. Last night took a melatonin which gave me only 3 hours of sleep. Thanks for listening.

S

siliconom

No problem 😊

I see you are taking propanalol. That would be for the racing heart, the most common anxiety/panic symptom. Everyone knows how horrible that is because we assume it will be followed by a panic attack.

I managed to get rid of those symptoms with meditation. I really recommend if you can stick with it and it does take time to have an effect.

Another method which has helped many is actually intentionally giving yourself a racing heart. Do you have an exercise bike at home? That would do it. If not, then some strength yoga exercises you can find in YouTube.

By giving yourself a racing heart by natural means where it is appropriate, it takes the fear away. Again, its not a quick fix but with repeated doing it will work.

I

Inie

No problem 😊

I see you are taking propanalol. That would be for the racing heart, the most common anxiety/panic symptom. Everyone knows how horrible that is because we assume it will be followed by a panic attack.

I managed to get rid of those symptoms with meditation. I really recommend if you can stick with it and it does take time to have an effect.

Another method which has helped many is actually intentionally giving yourself a racing heart. Do you have an exercise bike at home? That would do it. If not, then some strength yoga exercises you can find in YouTube.

By giving yourself a racing heart by natural means where it is appropriate, it takes the fear away. Again, its not a quick fix but with repeated doing it will work.
I went ahead and took the Olanzapine and I’m feeling the drowsiness. I actually missed that feeling. It totally beats feeling wired with eyes like an owl. I do freak myself out with focusing with the heartbeats but rn no worries. I will take your wonderful advice. Giving yourself a racing heart... this might work. Wishing you peace of mind.

S

siliconom

I went ahead and took the Olanzapine and I’m feeling the drowsiness. I actually missed that feeling. It totally beats feeling wired with eyes like an owl. I do freak myself out with focusing with the heartbeats but rn no worries. I will take your wonderful advice. Giving yourself a racing heart... this might work. Wishing you peace of mind.
Same to you

Have you heard of Claire Weekes? A wonderful Australian doctor from the 1960s who wrote books on anxiety with a strong emphasis in agoraphobia. She has 4 wonderful free audio excerpts from her book Hope And Help For Your Nerves. Here's the link. Its very inspiring so please listen. Each talk about 20 minutes long

www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk

I

Inie

Same to you

Have you heard of Claire Weekes? A wonderful Australian doctor from the 1960s who wrote books on anxiety with a strong emphasis in agoraphobia. She has 4 wonderful free audio excerpts from her book Hope And Help For Your Nerves. Here's the link. Its very inspiring so please listen. Each talk about 20 minutes long

www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk
I will definitely check it out. Any non drug approach, I welcome. So how is your day going?

S

siliconom

Thanks but every day is the same for me. A struggle but I live in hope. Nothing to do with mental illness though

I

Inie

Thanks but every day is the same for me. A struggle but I live in hope. Nothing to do with mental illness though
My faith carries me through my daily mental struggle. Good to hear you are in a good place mentally. I hope you work out yr other issues.

S

siliconom

Thanks 🤗

The best antihistamine for sleep is hydroxyzine but for some reason not available everywhere

Please let me know how you get on with Claire Weekes audios. The agoraphobia talk is either 2 or 3 can't remember. 4 is depression.

I used to recommend a lot but gave because it was obvious most folk weren't bothering to listen.

I

Inie

Thanks 🤗

The best antihistamine for sleep is hydroxyzine but for some reason not available everywhere

Please let me know how you get on with Claire Weekes audios. The agoraphobia talk is either 2 or 3 can't remember. 4 is depression.

I used to recommend a lot but gave because it was obvious most folk weren't bothering to listen.
Is the hydroxyzine hard for you to get even with a prescription? Do you live outside the US.? I have tried the hydroxyzine a couple of times. It does make you drowsy and the only complaint I had was a mild headache but it subsided. Do you take the antipsychotic just for sleep. I take for sleep, appetite and supposedly for agitated depression. I get scared to take because of this health anxiety with my heart. This afternoon I got breakthrough anxiety which I took a Propranolol. I feel better now but took a nap which I hope will not disrupt my sleep tonight. I will listen to the audios when I get some quiet time. Noisy here during daytime.

S

siliconom

Yep I'm Canadian but in Asia now.

I did take antipsychotic for depression at one point during a bad spell with ineffective ADs at medium dose of 300GMs. But I never realized the pills were 300mg so I was taking a massive 900mg! They worked but with the most awful side effects. That's when I started meditation.

Am now back on venlafaxine at 112.5Mg's and doing OK. Before on 225mg so I put the improvement in my mental health down to meditation mainly.

Have you ever tried yoga? Yoga of course can be a meditation, just a strenuous form of it. And boring to be honest.

I was also thinking that a good, quick way to give yourself a natural racing heart is press-ups. If you do, remember to keep your body straight. It builds arm and chest muscles too.

I have developed a mild form of agoraphobia recently. I prefer to stay in my dark hole than go out where people are. This morning was sunny so I forced myself to do a 20 minute walk.

I

Inie

Yep I'm Canadian but in Asia now.

I did take antipsychotic for depression at one point during a bad spell with ineffective ADs at medium dose of 300GMs. But I never realized the pills were 300mg so I was taking a massive 900mg! They worked but with the most awful side effects. That's when I started meditation.

Am now back on venlafaxine at 112.5Mg's and doing OK. Before on 225mg so I put the improvement in my mental health down to meditation mainly.

Have you ever tried yoga? Yoga of course can be a meditation, just a strenuous form of it. And boring to be honest.

I was also thinking that a good, quick way to give yourself a natural racing heart is press-ups. If you do, remember to keep your body straight. It builds arm and chest muscles too.

I have developed a mild form of agoraphobia recently. I prefer to stay in my dark hole than go out where people are. This morning was sunny so I forced myself to do a 20 minute walk.
I have relatives that live in Montreal. Been there a couple of times a very long time ago. I really liked it over there. I remember the nightlife is amazing with all the clubs which are now a thing of the past.

I live in California but I was born in the Philippines. Never been back there since I was 2 years old.

I have tried meditation and it does help out but you really have to clear your mind for it to be effective. Yoga I haven’t tried but I’ve heard a lot of positive things about it.

I know all about agoraphobia. I am not able to to leave outside my city. There are times when I can’t leave my house. It just varies depending on the severity of my anxiety. I don’t like being in social situations and become very uncomfortable. Glad you forced yourself ourself to get out even for a few minutes.

I take Klonopin when my anxiety turns into panic attack or when I have to be out of the house for a long time. I am running out of the Klonopin. I don’t know if I mention this but my psych won’t refill. I take sparingly and never abuse it.

S

siliconom

Funnily enough I take Klonopin too but every other day. Been doing this for over a year now and it still works! Just one 0.5mg tablet.

Thats kinda mean of your doc to stop giving you any. Its obvious you're not a benzo abuser and he should know that too.

I get mild headaches often and instead of taking a pill, massage it away. Takes less than 10 minutes. I learnt the technique off a YouTube clip. Can't remember the guy's name but he's an eccentric gay Cantonese Aussie homeopath. Most of his stuff is pretty good.

I discovered today that mirtazapine is actually not an AD despite what it says on the box. It's an antihistamine but good for anxiety and sleep.

I

Inie

Funnily enough I take Klonopin too but every other day. Been doing this for over a year now and it still works! Just one 0.5mg tablet.

Thats kinda mean of your doc to stop giving you any. Its obvious you're not a benzo abuser and he should know that too.

I get mild headaches often and instead of taking a pill, massage it away. Takes less than 10 minutes. I learnt the technique off a YouTube clip. Can't remember the guy's name but he's an eccentric gay Cantonese Aussie homeopath. Most of his stuff is pretty good.

I discovered today that mirtazapine is actually not an AD despite what it says on the box. It's an antihistamine but good for anxiety and sleep.
Klonopin works the best out of meds I’ve tried. Doctors don’t like to prescribe due to its dependency. I like to take as my last resort. I take 3/4 of .5mg pill. If I take more I’ll sleep. Hope I can find someone who can refill before I start to pull my hair out. Mirtazapine was a horrible med in the end it gave me the worst panic attacks and withdrawals. I’m glad my system is cleared from it. I’m back on the olanzapine because I value sleep. Thank for that tip for headaches. Use to get them often when my job was stressful.

S

siliconom

Can't find the Chinese guy no idea why his name may come back to me but there are other short clips