• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Pristiq

I

Inie

Hi everyone. Hope you are all coping well. I suffer from panic disorder and agoraphobia. I was given Desvenlafaxine generic for Pristiq. Has anyone had experiences good or bad taking this med.?

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Forum Guide
Hi there, yeah I am not too bad other than my sleeping pattern is the wrong way round. I have not taken Pristiq myself. However this is a good resource if you are curious what other peoples experiences have been on the drug. Sadly I think its just random chance how well it pans out for people. I hope it can give you some relief if you are considering it.

I

Inie

Hi there, yeah I am not too bad other than my sleeping pattern is the wrong way round. I have not taken Pristiq myself. However this is a good resource if you are curious what other peoples experiences have been on the drug. Sadly I think its just random chance how well it pans out for people. I hope it can give you some relief if you are considering it.

Thanks for the tip.

C

candycane

Hi everyone. Hope you are all coping well. I suffer from panic disorder and agoraphobia. I was given Desvenlafaxine generic for Pristiq. Has anyone had experiences good or bad taking this med.?
I would be very careful taking any meds, for an extended period of time.
There are side effects to them.
I would try a mental health professional.
May try talking to one of them, instead.
That might help you more, in the long run.
I hope this helps.
I am not saying not to take your meds, but to be careful when doing so.
Also do not stop taking any meds with out first checking with your doctor.
I wish you luck.

L

lifecangetbetter

its all trial and error which ssri works best for yuou. it takes 4-6 weeks for the full effect, you may start to feel worse before you start to feel better but pdocs will usually want on one for 2 months then they can switch you out if it doesnt work

B

Brainchild

Hello Inie,I have had it for 45 years and nothing much helped.I have not heard of yours pills but 5 years ago my doctor gave me Anafranil which is an old anti depressant,I haven't had a panic attack since.If you are under a doctor you are safe,some people have to take pills for the rest of their lives,so what? if they help you operate then do it.

I would be very careful taking any meds, for an extended period of time.
There are side effects to them.
I would try a mental health professional.
May try talking to one of them, instead.
That might help you more, in the long run.
I hope this helps.
I am not saying not to take your meds, but to be careful when doing so.
Also do not stop taking any meds with out first checking with your doctor.
I wish you luck.

I

Inie

its all trial and error which ssri works best for yuou. it takes 4-6 weeks for the full effect, you may start to feel worse before you start to feel better but pdocs will usually want on one for 2 months then they can switch you out if it doesnt work
Unfortunately it does take a while to work if it even works.

S

siliconom

Pristiq is not SSRI but SNRI. Similar, but produces more noradrenaline compared to serotonin.

Desvenlafaxine is related to venlafaxine but has less side effects. As with all ADs, you need to give maximum 6 weeks.Side effects usually go away after 3 weeks or so.

I

Inie

Pristiq is not SSRI but SNRI. Similar, but produces more noradrenaline compared to serotonin.

Desvenlafaxine is related to venlafaxine but has less side effects. As with all ADs, you need to give maximum 6 weeks.Side effects usually go away after 3 weeks or so.
Thanks for the helpful info. It’s scary trying out a new med especially one that takes a while to work and if it works at all.

S

siliconom

Try not to think about it too much although we all know how difficult this is, myself included. We all make ourselves anxious worrying whether the damn stuff will work or not.

My first psychiatrist said to me "there is always a medication that will work" and he is absolutely correct. There are probably at least 30 different antidepressants used today.

If you get unlucky, you can switch to another. The good news is that when you do a switch, you will already of gained 'credits' with the one before so its not like starting from the beginning and waiting another month again.

You'lol be fine and dandy, just find ways of distracting yourself and let the time pass by itself.

I

Inie

Try not to think about it too much although we all know how difficult this is, myself included. We all make ourselves anxious worrying whether the damn stuff will work or not.

My first psychiatrist said to me "there is always a medication that will work" and he is absolutely correct. There are probably at least 30 different antidepressants used today.

If you get unlucky, you can switch to another. The good news is that when you do a switch, you will already of gained 'credits' with the one before so its not like starting from the beginning and waiting another month again.

You'lol be fine and dandy, just find ways of distracting yourself and let the time pass by itself.
It is difficult for me not to overthink if this med will work. I don’t have a good history with ADs. I’ve tried several only to be left disappointed with results. But I haven’t given up. Thanks for shredding some light.

S

siliconom

I got a bad history with ADs too.

If SSRI and SNRI don't do it, then the much older TCA will. Contrary to popular belief, the newer ADs are no better than the older ones. Just more difficult to OD on.

The oldest class from the 1950s called MAOI will almost certainly work. But no alcohol or cheese while on them.

I

Inie

I got a bad history with ADs too.

If SSRI and SNRI don't do it, then the much older TCA will. Contrary to popular belief, the newer ADs are no better than the older ones. Just more difficult to OD on.

The oldest class from the 1950s called MAOI will almost certainly work. But no alcohol or cheese while on them.
You are really knowledgeable with these meds. If you don’t mind me asking what has worked for you?

S

siliconom

You are really knowledgeable with these meds. If you don’t mind me asking what has worked for you?
Of course I don't mind 🤗

There are three SNRI. I never tried Pristiq but the other two - Cymbalta (duloxetine) and Effexor (venlafaxine) both worked very well.

My doctor friend told me that an AD that works will continue to work for at least 15 years - unless you drink a lot of alcohol or do party drugs or opiates on top of it. I was doing both but mainly alcohol.

So Effexor worked well for 7 years only then I switched to Cymbalta, again good about 7 years. Now I'm back on Effexor after trying two others which had no effect.

Hope this was helpful 😀

I

Inie

Have you had issues with sleep? That was a problem with me and SSRIs that’s why I was switched to an SNRIs. It really helps to have a doctor friend who can guide you. I’m only taking Propranolol taking at the moment. I will most likely test the waters on the Pristiq. Thank you.