Prioritising Mental Health Research

F

firemonkee57

children's mental health, mental and physical health, genetics, biomarkers that can identify most effective and safe medications, biological mechanisms, psychological therapies, helping mentally ill into paid work

Not what you'd approve of?

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
children's mental health, mental and physical health, genetics, biomarkers that can identify most effective and safe medications, biological mechanisms, psychological therapies, helping mentally ill into paid work

Not what you'd approve of?
Not really, i think so much of it all is a huge waste of money, time & resources, trying to perpetuate the societal/cultural myths of our Age. Same with a lot of Cancer research - a lot of it is all a load of old bollocks. The focus should be on genuine health, healing & community & how best to support individuals in that.

F

firemonkee57

What don't you like about cancer research?

shaky

shaky

One of the area they said needed research was societal changes, creating mentally healthy communities.
Now that sounds useful - the sort of thing that might help prevent mental illness as well as make life easier for those suffering from it.

F

firemonkee57

I think it depends on what societal changes will be promoted. If it's to push a 'neoliberalism is next to Godliness' agenda then I think such an approach will have a negative effect.

@

@niamh2014

this is my own opinion but the whole health system is all linked.. from mental health, cancer researches being carried out and other researches really is just promoting ''new brilliant extraordinary drugs'' or medications to help people - that's why it's called the ''medical'' field. so the mental health system carrying out researches is just promoting for drug companies and actually brainwashing people to thinking this new ''brillant drug'' will help them because it's a new scientific research - well really i think it's all a load of crap and the drug companies are very good at making people believe this crap... it's all just a big money making industry/ system - health system. thinking now sometimes i would have gone to different gp's or also called general practioners and i might have had not much wrong with me maybe a bit of a flu and i would be put on tablets/ given a prescription right away for not even the right thing and one time i had a sinusus infection and was given a sinisus tablet and the following morning was 10 times worse and just didn't take the tablet anymore and was fine again a short time after... so does that not say alot?!............

@

@niamh2014

Also how many times have new researches been carried out in the health system?! - for instance cancer research and it still hasn't improved or proved alot - so these new mental health researches are really done about in the same way.

M

mal blue moon

Hello i'm new to this forum ,i am surprised by the lack of investment into research in mental health ,true the drug company's spent big bucks ,but the drug company's like long term medication ,they say big returns for the expense of development are justified ,i recently went to the gp's and explained i had problems sleeping anxiety and stuff ,the Gp offered me a new but lousy modern sleeping meds , i stated i want the much older type ,the G p said they are addictive ,i said not if you only prescribe a one off amount 12,and as you record it, i know not to ask for a while ,the G p agreed ,G p's think all new meds are worth testing on human lab rats ,

Last edited:
Gajolene

Gajolene

Hoenstly the way the page was set up it seemed more like an election campain add than an intensive research facility, very vauge, too broadspectrum for me. I am always wary of organizations like that, there's a lot of skimming goes on, Hope it is legit, and not just some organization looking for more funding to keep their board members afloat.

F

firemonkee57

Hoenstly the way the page was set up it seemed more like an election campain add than an intensive research facility, very vauge, too broadspectrum for me. I am always wary of organizations like that, there's a lot of skimming goes on, Hope it is legit, and not just some organization looking for more funding to keep their board members afloat.
I agree fault can be found with the way the page is set up but it's a long stretch to link that with lack of legitimacy. Here is the link of the organisation behind the page. Alliance of Mental Health Research Funders - AMHRF

M

mowhead

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I would do or take anything that was safe to get rid of this awful bpd as long as it had been through its initial testing phase just remember in all this most researchers just want to cure conditions. as long as the research was near to where I lived and my medical team agreed to it and sedates if they were doing a mri scan