pretending to be deaf

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

maybe not pretending but using sign language in shops i go into shops i started doing sign language so they would not make small talk now i am torn whether i should do this or not thoughts please ?

pepecat

pepecat

Yeah, porbably not wise.... Do you know sign language properly - fluently, I mean? If not, you could get caught out if you meet someone who is deaf or knows sign language properly and starts talking to you using it.

I hate small talk in shops as well, but just put up with it with 'No, fine thanks' or brief answers.

Or you could wear earphones and listen to music so that people won't speak to you.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Yeah, porbably not wise.... Do you know sign language properly - fluently, I mean? If not, you could get caught out if you meet someone who is deaf or knows sign language properly and starts talking to you using it.

I hate small talk in shops as well, but just put up with it with 'No, fine thanks' or brief answers.

Or you could wear earphones and listen to music so that people won't speak to you.
i am learning i am not doing just because i feel like it i really some times cant talk to people

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I think the best thing to do is just speak when spoken to and the more you do it the easier it will become.The more you avoid it the harder it will be to overcome.I know this from experience.

I personally think using sign language is wrong if you dont have hearing problems or are not deaf.I had to teach one of my kids sign language as a young boy due to hearing loss and I can't imagine someone doing that because of social anxiety.Seeking professional help or taking medication is better than faking a disability