• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

pressured speech in Borderline- anyone else experience this?

S

strawberrygurl803

i have been told that my speech becomes faster and faster and "pressured" when i am upset, panicky or angry. i am not sure why it happens- anyone else have this?

D

Devon

i have been told that my speech becomes faster and faster and "pressured" when i am upset, panicky or angry. i am not sure why it happens- anyone else have this?
Oh yes, I know where you are coming from.

I tend to make my verbal points forcefully because I feel people are not listening to what I have to say.

Every one has a right to say what they feel and to be listened to.

I don't have have a problem with people who listen but choose to disagree, thats fine but I do get angry when people just ignore my comments without even considering what I am saying.

S

*Sapphire*

I think you may be experiencing a reaction to some form of stress. It is well known that peoples pitch, tone and speed of talking can change when suffering with anxiety, anger and stress.

I think some of this comes from the adrenaline burst that often accompanies it. Adrenaline gears you up for a perceived emergency and hence can make you think faster, move faster and react faster. So speeded up speech might be happening because you are geared up for what your body perceives as an emergency of some kind, so your thinking will speed up and perhaps your speech too and the need to get your message across as a result.

However you can overcome this. Perhaps by reducing anxiety by learning some relaxation. Learning mindfulness. And practicing some skills in controlling your speech, by taking regular breaths, taking a pause between sentences, and trying to maintain a calm manner.

F

funkymunky79

I totally agree too!

I get the same and also I jumble my words and slurr my speech.

I find this so frustrating and I get angry with people who ignore me to and I get angry with myself.

I do sometimes take a deep breath and excuse myself from a conversation if this starts to happen, as I will just end up in a jibbering wreck if I don't.

:unsure: