Pressure from my parents to get married

Y

Yes

I am 33. Never had a partner my whole life and my parents are desperately trying to convince on how to know someone and create a family. They are like there is no life without creating your own family. They just made my depression worse. I feel like I am mentally retarded when people talk to me that way while I am struggling to finish my college. I hate to be seen as someone who needs advice on life at this age

ThinkInYellow

ThinkInYellow

Parents always think they know what’s best for you. I think it’s probably the side effect of spending years needing to make those decisions for someone else. But only you know what makes you happy. Other people can think a lot of things.
Someone once told me “you don’t have to be happy to know what doesn’t make you happy” and it really changed my perspective. Even if we think something will make us happy one day doesn’t mean we should do it now. I had my career planned at sixteen, but wanting those things one day didn’t make me ready for them at sixteen. If you don’t want to get married, or even date, that’s not anyone else’s place to put themselves.
You are here. You are breathing. You are working towards your future. Sometimes it is enough to let that be enough.

Ps. Everyone always thinks that everyone needs life advice. Some of the most successful people I know suffer the most of it.

Y

Yes

Parents always think they know what’s best for you. I think it’s probably the side effect of spending years needing to make those decisions for someone else. But only you know what makes you happy. Other people can think a lot of things.
Someone once told me “you don’t have to be happy to know what doesn’t make you happy” and it really changed my perspective. Even if we think something will make us happy one day doesn’t mean we should do it now. I had my career planned at sixteen, but wanting those things one day didn’t make me ready for them at sixteen. If you don’t want to get married, or even date, that’s not anyone else’s place to put themselves.
You are here. You are breathing. You are working towards your future. Sometimes it is enough to let that be enough.

Ps. Everyone always thinks that everyone needs life advice. Some of the most successful people I know suffer the most of it.
I agree with you on everything u said!

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

People will say whatever they want - don't take it to heart. They're expressing their views and emotions, but you can do what you like. If you want to marry someone tomorrow, go for it (figuratively!). If you don't want to marry someone for now, then don't feel forced to! Forcing a relationship won't end well :)