Prescriptions Prepayment Certificate

P

pking1409

I have a question about the NHS Prescription Prepayment Certificate.
My mum get free prescriptions as she has under active thyroid, do I still have to pay for this now i'm diagnosed with Bipolar type 2? I had a look around on Google and couldn't find an answer.

Funnyday

Funnyday

If you are not entitled to an exemption certificate. If on a low-income you can pay I think its £100 for an annual certificate. Its called the Low Income Scheme. NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS)

N

natalie

I would have a word with your own chemist pharamcist, or assistants, and take things from there.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Bipolar doesn’t get you free prescriptions. I was working while diagnosed and used To buy an annual one for about £104 but you can also buy buy quarterly . It depends on how many prescriptions you ge per month. If your getting two or more per month there worth while getting. Your pharmacist will be able to tell you if you are exempt

P

pking1409

I am paying the monthly £11 for my prescription certificate as I’m now on 3 different meds a month. Better than paying for 3 prescriptions I guess.

Funnyday

Funnyday

You can also get free prescriptions if you have type 2 Diabetes.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I got T2 diabetes from taking quetiapine. Even though give now stopped it I’m still diabetic

N

natalie

Hi again,

Just occurred to me, that, I have mental health issues of szchiophrenia mild forms of, and I am on certainly at least 1 all in one combined med for tha t, and I have also another med for something different, and med for my anxiety, now it's just occurred to me, that, I am on HC2 non payment certficiate, so that as you are diagnosed with Bipolar 2 I think it was, you certainly, and to save you paying an arm and leg each time for your prescrptions, you would benefit from applying for a HC1 form which then transfers if you are deemed to be successful for a HC2 certificate. A lot of suitable places which you probably know will have HC1, form and there is absolutely no harm and if you take other medications as well for anything else different I realised that meds are costly now, for you to apply.

So the answer to this question, is yes, you can apply for a HC2 non payment medical certificate,.

I wish you well, and I do hope if you decide to apply, that it turns out well, do keep us updated!

P

pking1409

I got T2 diabetes from taking quetiapine. Even though give now stopped it I’m still diabetic
I'm taking quetiapine, hopefully I don't become diabetic. (it runs in my family to)

P

pking1409

Thanks for all the responses, I will defiantly look into the HC1 as my current attendance issues at work are cause financial strain.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I was on 650mg for several years but did not have glucose checks done until it was too late. I think now they know it can cause it they are more careful. But insist on 6 monthly glucose checks so you can reduce the dose or change meds

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
there is an nhs list of conditions that qualify you for free prescriptions, you can find it on the internet though it's hard it's a peculiar list then theres low income grounds the means test been on non contributory benefits i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jules5

Prescriptions in the USA can be greatly reduced with a simple rx card no matter what your income level. I have had to use this in the past and saved me a lot of money. Now I am on Medicaid and everything is no cost. This will likely end soon. Then I will go back to the rx cards for discounts.

J

Jules5

I have four prescriptions a month which our costly. I have had to switch medications in the past to be able to aford them.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i mentioned saying when i phone up these people i have schitzoprenia and was told it makes no difference to these clarks answering the phone

in sept i'll be contacting british gas about the warm home discount, they usually ask my disability, i think it'll go through easier if i say schitzoprenia, if i say nerves i'm likely to be one of those required to send in documentary evidence which at the moment i may not have to that quality

fazza

fazza

i mentioned saying when i phone up these people i have schitzoprenia and was told it makes no difference to these clarks answering the phone

in sept i'll be contacting british gas about the warm home discount, they usually ask my disability, i think it'll go through easier if i say schitzoprenia, if i say nerves i'm likely to be one of those required to send in documentary evidence which at the moment i may not have to that quality
Rambo.
British gas nor any other company will ask about your disability. They are not allowed too. All they do is take your national insurance number. This is then processed and they are informed if you are in receipt of benefits. There are many qualifying benefits for a warm home discount and they are all checked by a national insurance number.
You never have a reason to specify your disability to any company. If they ask they can be in big trouble.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
well they did ask about my disability and i felt safer saying schitzoprenia than nerves as nerves might result in checks of my entitlement

T

Turnitoffandonagain

The rules about this are are really strange and confusing. Seems as if it all depends on whether a disorder/disease or medication was known about back when the free prescription rules were first introduced. Anything that's been discovered since doesn't get covered. And, apparently, if you have _one_ condition that is covered, then all your prescriptions for other conditions become free as well. Seems a stupid system to me.

fazza

fazza

Sorry I just noticed my post had a huge typo.
It should have read. British gas will Not ask about your disability.
They may ask which benifit you are entitled too but they will not ask about a specific illness when applying for the warm home discount. It simply is not in their interest to enquire about a specific illness.