• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Prescriptions and ethics?

Onlymebud

Onlymebud

Hello.
Its occurred to me that the doc has quite willingly handed over a pretty large amount of drugs to someone who has admittedly got suicidal tendencies.
Its not a good time in my life at all and as i'm sure some of you know these thoughts get in the head all too easily.

I know that i need the drugs but he never asked anything about someone looking after them for me or nothing like that.

Does anyone else think its a bit of a double edged sword to be handing over enough antidepressants and temazepam to kill you to someone in my position?
I'm ok i think, its not a cry for help just yet but do you see my point?
I'm in the house on my own until next saturday too and i not feeling strong at all.

Shouldn't the docs think about this sort of thing when they dishing out boxes of the crap?
Do you see my point?

Sorry if this is wrong part to post in or anything.

T

TabbyToes

Do you see my point?
Yep.
Shouldn't the docs think about this sort of thing when they dishing out boxes of the crap?
I think many of them do.

I've asked the doctor to reduce the size of my prescription at times.

I've often wondered about whether I'd take enough pills to kill myself but I generally am too scared that I won't take enough (and will so end up very ill with organ damage) or that there's something in them that will make me sick or that, because it's not an instant death, I'll change my mind.

I also have a really good relationship with my doctor and I'd hate for her to have to deal with the consequences of my actions. She doesn't deserve that.

Onlymebud

Onlymebud

Yeah thats what i was thinking too, if just say i did and survived the consequences would be awfull.

The idea of a smaller prescription could be a good idea for me thanx.

Just thought i'd ask cos it seems mental to me.

Thanx for the reply.

A

Apotheosis

I get a months supply of what I am on. I have asked if I can get longer prescriptions; a few months worth at a time, they won't give it to me, due to a past suicide attempt. They have also informed me that the months supply taken at once would be fatal. It's silly; it would not either be hard to save up 2 or 3 months worth. If someone is intent on OD; then there is little really to stop them.

invise

invise

My last prescription was for 120 capsules!! It has definatly occurred to me that its probably enough if I wanted to give it a go. As TabbyToes said tho, I too am scared it wouldnt work, and Id just end up hooked up to a million things in hospital.

S

*Sapphire*

If someone is intent on OD; then there is little really to stop them.
That is completely true, there are many ways people can attempt suicide, if someone is intent on it then they will find a way. There is little doctors can do in that situation.

Having said that there are certain pills doctors will never put me back on as i od'd and ended up having a cardiac arrest. They even once put me on pills they said I could not od on. But I found other ways. Obviously not successfully though. Thank goodness.

However I was once told that you can keep them at an understanding local chemist if you are feeling a bit wobbly and are not feeling safe. I have never tried this though. But I have given them to my crisis team or my therapist and picked up a days supply when things were tough. Just for a short while until the urges passed.

Last edited:
M

Marchhare

Founding Member
referred to crisis team and sent a script signed by psychiatrist for new meds all in one week!!
m