prescribed wrong meds

M

michelle64

hi i suffer from post trumatic stress disorder depression and anxiety i have been on numerous drugs for about 5 years.one of the drugs i take is quitiepine 300mg and i get on really well with this UNTIL 2 WEEKS AGO! i went to get a repeat prescription and carried on taking as normal but found i was struggling with everyday life and started to self harm and have suicidal thoughts etc.my husband checked my meds and found that i had been prescribed quinnine for malayria obviorsly i felt quite ill my husband got in contact with the doctor who admitted it was her fault and said the doctors was having a meeting so nothing like this would happen again i was just wondering if it would be worth seeking legal action as im still feeling low and am now being looked after by he crisis team till im feeling better any feed back would be great [this was wrote by my loverly daughter on my behalf]

P

Petalsoup

wow what a massive cock up they have really let you down. Mistakes must happen I guess but this seems a bit of a major one. I think it should depend entirely on how you feel.
Do you want compensation? To compensate is to make up for something, would an amount of money help you feel better? I don't think there is a right or wrong answer btw it just depends how you feel.
Do you want an apology? It sounds like they are quite rightly taking this very seriously, and making sure it doesnt happen again. You could try asking for a report of what they decide went wrong and how they are going to safeguard against future mistakes, and an apology.
As for actual prosecution... I am just a failed law student but I know this is a very complicated area indeed. Even if you did succeed in bringing a case, frankly you would probably find it very hard to win. And if you did win, compensation probably wouldnt be that much. IMO its worth weighing that up against the stress and time which would be involved in finding out if you would be entitled to legal aid for such a claim, finding a solicitor or agency willing to take the case on (as I doubt a no win no fee would, worth asking but you might be better off looking at local law clinics and advocacy services etc), going through the faff of waiting for court dates and loads of paperwork and wondering whats going on and potentially having to discuss your problems in a court room. Not fun at all.

I think you have been treated very unfairly. The above is not meant as advice, just my thoughts. I really hope you feel better soon and that this never happens again.

Girl Interrupted

Girl Interrupted

What a huge mistake, but in all fairness the Dr's have admitted that to you, and have taken steps to ensure it doesn't happen again. They are after all only human, albeit this could have been much much more serious.

Try contacting ICAS http://www.seap.org.uk/icas/ They are great at supporting people with complaints against the NHS. I have used their services myself, either that or you could contact your local MIND to enquire if they have advocacy services to help you with a complaint.

In terms of writing a complaint what you need to decide what you wish to gain from the process, but be realistic about what outcome you would like. Simply being angry (with or without justification) and seeking a clinicians dismissal and monetary compensation are highly unlikely, and more to the point usually out of context. Thinking about mediation with the individual and their organisation so you can air how you feel about the incident, ask for an apology, ascertain extacly what they have learned from the incident and what steps they have taken to ensure there is minimal chance it could be repeated in the future etc.

Look at ICAS and read their information about making complaints, the procedures etc it may give you more of an idea about how you would like to proceed with your particular circumstances.

M

michelle64

they where in the same size white box as my other meds didnt even notice any difference

P

Petalsoup

lol I can well imagine taking drugs without looking at the box properly, esp if I'd had a similar box before and it was a prescription drug, you just assume its ok, especially when you might not be in a great place in your head! Not suggesting that OP is not in a good place in her head btw, but its an easy mistake to make IMO and especially where patients are more likely to be vulnerable, pharmacists/gp's should be much more careful.