• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Prescribed Sertraline

C

charlieblack5

So I’ve just been prescribed Sertraline. I’ve never taken meds for my mental health before, been doing some reading up and it seems ok. Has anyone been on this? Any good?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I've been on 50mg for years, no complaints but I'm using it primarily for anxiety.

C

charlieblack5

That’s good to know. Mine is anxiety and depression, not sure what the dosage is. Can I ask how it helps? How it makes you feel?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Maybe a little tired after taking it but I also take Aripiprazole at the same time in the mornings so it may be that rather than the Sertraline.

Apart from that I don't think I feel anything really, I just know the physical responses I used to get from my anxiety are far less than they were before taking it.

I don't feel depressed either, I know other people who are in the same situation as me (hearing a voice in my head that isn't my own every waking moment) are depressed or worse but I'm not.

Argon

Argon

That’s good to know. Mine is anxiety and depression, not sure what the dosage is. Can I ask how it helps? How it makes you feel?
It's going to numb your privates. It's no fun at all. And I saw many people get far worase after taking an SSRI - they ened up in a psych hospital after going full psychotic or manic. SSRIs are the biggest snake oil scam in history imo. The tragic thing is that is the first thing you get when complaining about any anxiety or depression. I advise people to try everything and anything else first before resorting to one of those drugs.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
It's going to numb your privates.
I can report my privates are fine and fully functioning, now Olanzapine will destroy your libido faster than you can say... Olanzapine.

And I saw many people get far worase after taking an SSRI - they ened up in a psych hospital after going full psychotic or manic.
I've heard of this happening sometimes in people who are bipolar. I can't say I experienced it but I started Sertraline after I began taking anti-psychotics so that may have been a factor.

miss_sensitivity

miss_sensitivity

Sertraline didn't agree with me. I felt wired and hyperaware when I was taking it. I didn't last long because I didn't like it. I know quite a few people who have had positive experiences though. I suppose everyone is different. Let us know how you go :)

C

charlieblack5

Hmm. Well I hope I don’t go full bat-shit and end up in a psych ward, fingers crossed. I guess I’ll just have to see how it goes.

B

Bunny7

I take 150mg Sertraline, have done for years. It’s been the best antidepressant for me - I’ve tried lots of others in the past. I like that it doesn’t sedate me. For the first week it killed my appetite but that was the only side effect I’ve had from it and it was short-lived. Everyone is different but for me sertraline has been a positive force.

C

charlieblack5

I take 150mg Sertraline, have done for years. It’s been the best antidepressant for me - I’ve tried lots of others in the past. I like that it doesn’t sedate me. For the first week it killed my appetite but that was the only side effect I’ve had from it and it was short-lived. Everyone is different but for me sertraline has been a positive force.
Thank you, I hope it works just as well for me as it seems to for you.

M

Mrs Scamp

So I’ve just been prescribed Sertraline. I’ve never taken meds for my mental health before, been doing some reading up and it seems ok. Has anyone been on this? Any good?
I came off Sertraline yesterday after 3 weeks due to the anxiety attacks it caused 2 or 3 times a day. They were awful and lasted 2 to 3 hours each time and so upsetting for my family. I was concerned about taking it and wish I hadn’t. I’d been taking Citalopram for a couple of years but it gave me night terrors and I’d scream and shout every night and wake everyone up. GP has prescribed another med - can’t remember the name - which I start today so I’ll report back on how I get on. We were due to go n holiday to Devon yesterday but cancelled as I’ve had such bad anxiety attacks. Sertraline is good for a lot of people but not me.

K

KittyCat92

Sorry to jump in the thread!

What’s everyone’s experiences in the first week or two of starting antidepressants when you’ve not had any before?

Wishbone

Wishbone

The things to really look out for are changes in your mood and thoughts. The first few weeks can bring on suicidal thoughts, or increase them, but they should die down thereafter.
If you take them and you feel your mood going up...and up...and up! Or, up and down, up and down, mixed up and all over the place, these can be bad signs that could end up being indicators of other things. The latter things with suicidal thoughts as well is the most dangerous and you should speak to your doc straight away if that happens.
What you'd be aiming for is gently beginning to feel better again and soon feeling fine.

C

charlieblack5

I can admit to you lot; I’m shit scared truth be told. The reason I’ve taken the plunge and decided to take something was because I’ve been feeling so low. The thought of feeling lower is terrifying.

K

KittyCat92

The things to really look out for are changes in your mood and thoughts. The first few weeks can bring on suicidal thoughts, or increase them, but they should die down thereafter.
If you take them and you feel your mood going up...and up...and up! Or, up and down, up and down, mixed up and all over the place, these can be bad signs that could end up being indicators of other things. The latter things with suicidal thoughts as well is the most dangerous and you should speak to your doc straight away if that happens.
What you'd be aiming for is gently beginning to feel better again and soon feeling fine.
Would a doctor prescribe pills that may make suicidal thoughts worse to someone who was already deep down that hole?