• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Pregnant and struggling

C

Countrygirl95

I am 12 weeks pregnant with my first baby, I have suffered with depression for the past 2 years, me and my partner split for 9 months, got back together and I got pregnant straight away, I’ve come off my medication as I’m pregnant and the doctor advised me to, I am struggling and feeling very low, is this just pregnancy? Am I going crazy?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Welcome Countrygirl,
Can you speak to your doctor so they can check on your mental health?
That is what i would do
I have never been pregnant so i don't know how one feels but 3 months along, judging by my friends and family, they did not seem low but rather excited and well. I am sure everybody is different. They seemed to struggle most in the 8th month.

I think with depression, the usual signs like not sleeping well, appetite changes, rumination, irritability, they are problems i often have and they might signal how you are feeling.

A good thing might be to keep a mood chart for your whole pregnancy that you record each morning. Even if you note a number down between 1-5 on the calender showing how low you feel. Maybe 5 is normal and 1 is the most depressed you have ever felt.

Keep writing, there are other members who have depression and have been pregnant that i am sure will be able to help you more than i can.

S

SadBrokenChild1984

Hello, I am 5 months pregnant and I have also suffered from very bad depression during my pregnancy. I do know that my depression was there before my pregnancy and is related to my life circumstances but I do feel that the pregnancy hormones to make it worse. I have done a ton of research on the medical side of pregnancy and your hormones change so much and go up and down a lot. Mood swings and feeling 'crazy' are quite normal in pregnancy. I hope this information helps you. I hope your pregnancy is progressing well and that you and baby are healthy!