• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Pregabalin

S

SFGuy

I've been on Xanax for more than 10 years, but my doc wants me to taper off. I've already cut by half, but I need something to control anxiety and internal agitation. She suggests a trial of Pregabalin, which should also help with a chronic pain condition.

Trouble is, I have taken Neurontin/gabapentin, a cousin of Lyrica, for pain. It worked at high doses, but I had to quit. The worst side effects were a reduction in intelligence and crippling memory deficits. Has anybody taken Pregabalin without these side effects? I'm open to a trial, but don't want to turn into an idiot. Can anybody compare the effects of the gabapentin and Lyrica? Has anybody found a good replacement for Xanax that isn't an antipsychotic?

Nutsy

Nutsy

Pregabs work really well for anxiety but they are habit forming and mood altering at high doses. They also massively increase the effects of opiates. They are classed as DLMs over here, that's drugs liable to misuse.

I was on them for a while along with zopiclone but I had to come off them because I was abusing them. I have long standing addiction and drug abuse issue though.

If you can stick to your prescribed dose then you shouldn't have any issues with memory or your thought processes.

J

JeanPierre

I find lyrica terrifying but absolutely neccessary atm.
The side effects suck but it depends on the relief you gain
as to whether the mind will accept it.
I totally hear your concern.

S

SFGuy

If you can stick to your prescribed dose then you shouldn't have any issues with memory or your thought processes.
Thank you. I used to drink way too much Scotch, but quit on my own about 13 years ago. I haven't encountered problems with prescribed narcotics, amphetamines, sleepers, or benzos, so I hope I wouldn't fall into dependency. Discontinuation must be hard, though. I'm encouraged to hear that you did not turn into a zombie like I did on gabapentin.

S

SFGuy

I find lyrica terrifying but absolutely neccessary atm.
The side effects suck but it depends on the relief you gain
as to whether the mind will accept it.
I totally hear your concern.
What terrifies you? I'm scared of the potential zombie phenomenon, but gabapentin also had nasty sexual side effects for me. Does Pregabalin do that?

Nutsy

Nutsy

I'm encouraged to hear that you did not turn into a zombie like I did on gabapentin.
No I didn't, but please bear in mind I have a huge tolerance for pharmaceuticals due to 30 odd years of abuse. I've also abused gabba and I was taking them like smarties.