• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Pregabalin as a mood stabiliser?

2Much2Feel

If you suspect you have BPD, then the only real tried and true treatment is DBT. Have you had therapy in the past and if not is this something you would consider moving forward?
Yes! DBT rocks. I was in it for about 3 years, group and individual. Unfortunately, as with so many other things, it was super expensive. I just started again last week since I was falling apart and I know it helped a lot with issues like self harm. Marsha Linehan (who started it, which you prob know) lives here in Seattle, and she is amazing. I am working with one of her "disciples" now that she trained. Have a lot of faith in him, he's amazing. They are great b/c they know how to deal with intense emotions. I use a lot of the techniques I learned every day, but def need to get into more intense therapy again, which is what I'm doing. Going to wipe out my savings, but I felt like it was either that or I was going to off myself, so opted for that. :)

2Much2Feel

If you suspect you have BPD, then the only real tried and true treatment is DBT. Have you had therapy in the past and if not is this something you would consider moving forward?
That last sentence has been helpful to me. Apart from this hideous year, for much of which I have been medicated on the mood stabiliser, which had the wrong effect and has now been stopped, my pattern has been high, with occasional very low blips when I sometimes sought GP help, ended up on antidepressants... That is one of the reasons this year has been so difficult, I am not used to feeling so low for such an extended period. This year, I think I probably do present as borderline personality disorder/EUPD, but I believe that to be as a result of the medication.
I totally relate to what you just said. On the same page...

HLon99

HLon99

Yes! DBT rocks. I was in it for about 3 years, group and individual. Unfortunately, as with so many other things, it was super expensive. I just started again last week since I was falling apart and I know it helped a lot with issues like self harm. Marsha Linehan (who started it, which you prob know) lives here in Seattle, and she is amazing. I am working with one of her "disciples" now that she trained. Have a lot of faith in him, he's amazing. They are great b/c they know how to deal with intense emotions. I use a lot of the techniques I learned every day, but def need to get into more intense therapy again, which is what I'm doing. Going to wipe out my savings, but I felt like it was either that or I was going to off myself, so opted for that. :)
Good for you, I think its the right way forward. Medications such as mood stablisers can help with mood swings in BPD, but nothing compares to therapy for the core psychological symptoms. Its not like bipolar which can be fixed with a pill, it needs it own taylor made complex approach.

2Much2Feel

Good for you, I think its the right way forward. Medications such as mood stablisers can help with mood swings in BPD, but nothing compares to therapy for the core psychological symptoms. Its not like bipolar which can be fixed with a pill, it needs it own taylor made complex approach.
Exactly. So depressing to finally face that I have BPD, went into denial about it for a couple of years. The outlook is always so bleak, I wanted to believe I was bipolar...

HLon99

HLon99

Exactly. So depressing to finally face that I have BPD, went into denial about it for a couple of years. The outlook is always so bleak, I wanted to believe I was bipolar...
Hey , grass is always greener on the other side. Bipolar comes with its own sets of challenges, believe me. Untreated, it can lead to disaster and even when treated, there is a 40-70% relapse rate in the first 3 years. With BPD, people do get better over time and can live very normal and productive lives.