• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Pregabalin as a mood stabiliser?

2Much2Feel

BPD is a common enough comorbidity with Bipolar Disorder, so it is possible that you have both. A good way to determine which you have is whether your mood shifts because of events in your life or at random. BPD mood changes are very situation dependent, bipolar mood shifts are largely random. If you have reacted poorly to antidepressants in the past, you should avoid taking them. If your psychiatrist believes that you are Bipolar and is trying to treat you with antidepressants, you should absolutely fire him. At best that is incopetance, at worst that is medical negligence. Bipolar is treated with mood stabilisers; antidepressants are absolutely contraindicated as they can trigger manic episodes and speed up the cycling of mood.
Thank you. This info is really making me think. I am going to fire him, have been thinking about it, he hasn't helped one bit and is basically just taking my money for spending 2 seconds writing a script. So frustrating. What you've stated is so interesting, and I do have moods based upon life circumstances more than just out of the blue. Definitely I can function when I feel I am connecting with others and life isn't throwing so many things at me, as this past year has been for everyone. Isolating and depressing, stressful politics going on, unrest in the country that is really depressing. The weird thing was about a month ago going into a really, really dark and scary place where all I could keep thinking is "I have to kill myself". But overall I think it is usually situation related, and my situation has been one of isolation and feeling like a failure at relationships and jobs constantly. Thank you for your input!

Wishbone

Wishbone

Just having a look at some studies. I've got some here, abstracts only, but still:

There seems to be a thinking that Rapid Cycling Bipolar is 'transitory' in the most part, which I hadn't heard before (although I did just read about a couple of people that had it continuously until some pretty hefty treatments were inside them); is more common in women; and there seems to be a link to Hypothyroidism, although other studies hint at Lithium use being linked to this and others that it's another biological marker, blah blah blah.

C

CabbageMama

My work meeting was pretty disastrous, on numerous levels, but I agreed to start a phased return on Wednesday. HLon, I think you are probably right, but I am going to try and try, if you know what I mean. Just one day next week and if I can get there and complete it, I’ll reassess. The Psych appt is Tuesday. The adrenaline of the meeting seems to have brought me out of my low, at least. 🤷🏻‍♀️

HLon99

HLon99

My work meeting was pretty disastrous, on numerous levels, but I agreed to start a phased return on Wednesday. HLon, I think you are probably right, but I am going to try and try, if you know what I mean. Just one day next week and if I can get there and complete it, I’ll reassess. The Psych appt is Tuesday. The adrenaline of the meeting seems to have brought me out of my low, at least. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I guess you can try, but there is no sense in banging your head against the wall to make something work. If you go into work next week and have a breakdown, it is not going to look good on you. Be smart about it.

2Much2Feel

Just having a look at some studies. I've got some here, abstracts only, but still:

There seems to be a thinking that Rapid Cycling Bipolar is 'transitory' in the most part, which I hadn't heard before (although I did just read about a couple of people that had it continuously until some pretty hefty treatments were inside them); is more common in women; and there seems to be a link to Hypothyroidism, although other studies hint at Lithium use being linked to this and others that it's another biological marker, blah blah blah.
Well that's something to think about. I had half my thyroid removed about 20 years ago...

C

CabbageMama

Quote of the hour and a half of meeting (My Union rep suggested a break for us to talk independently in the middle of the meeting when they blindsided us and I nearly lost my temper, so this was just to him, fortunately)
“I put on make up for this shit!” 😂

2Much2Feel

Well that's something to think about. I had half my thyroid removed about 20 years ago...
Very interesting abstract. Going to send it off to my shrink, maybe educate him a bit despite his ego thinking he has all the answers. Thank you so much.

HLon99

HLon99

Thank you. This info is really making me think. I am going to fire him, have been thinking about it, he hasn't helped one bit and is basically just taking my money for spending 2 seconds writing a script. So frustrating. What you've stated is so interesting, and I do have moods based upon life circumstances more than just out of the blue. Definitely I can function when I feel I am connecting with others and life isn't throwing so many things at me, as this past year has been for everyone. Isolating and depressing, stressful politics going on, unrest in the country that is really depressing. The weird thing was about a month ago going into a really, really dark and scary place where all I could keep thinking is "I have to kill myself". But overall I think it is usually situation related, and my situation has been one of isolation and feeling like a failure at relationships and jobs constantly. Thank you for your input!
You're very welcome. Don't waste time on pill pushers like that, find yourself a good doctor who is willing to work together with you to figure out a long term plan. The fact that you have situational mood shifts and interpersonal problems would likely indicate a more BPD-like picture, although I am no professional and couldn't tell you for sure. Let me ask you something, before the antidepressants, did you ever get sustained periods of highs (2-4 weeks+). Sustained highs (in the absence of any drugs/antidepressants) would indicate a more bipolar picture; short highs (lasting a few hours to a few days) would indicate a more BPD picture.

HLon99

HLon99

Very interesting abstract. Going to send it off to my shrink, maybe educate him a bit despite his ego thinking he has all the answers. Thank you so much.
Don't do that. Don't ever question the medical expertise of an incopetant psychiatrist, they hate that. I also had a terrible psychiatrist once, I once put into question her treatment plan and she ended up pulling all my meds and discharging me from the clinic with a false 'emotional dysregulation' diagnosis. Eventually, I got a new one and he put me back on track, but it set my treatment back several months. Just cut ties with him and get a new one.

C

CabbageMama

I guess you can try, but there is no sense in banging your head against the wall to make something work. If you go into work next week and have a breakdown, it is not going to look good on you. Be smart about it.
I have been off since December. Even when I was struggling immensely personally, with meds and emotions, no-one at work knew there was anything wrong. I am pretty confident I can manage the work bit, it is just the impact of it on me out of work I need to be cautious of. If it doesn’t work out, I will leave, like I was going to anyway. Weirdly, while there is no guarantee of a Post for me in Outpatients, I am going to be there for my whole phased return, even though there is not a role for me to fulfil. But they will pay me my full salary to do this 6 weeks, so I am going to use it as a practice for seeing what I can manage. Feel a bit like I have lost everything at the moment anyway, so if this doesn’t work out, I will just stop and it won’t break me.

2Much2Feel

You're very welcome. Don't waste time on pill pushers like that, find yourself a good doctor who is willing to work together with you to figure out a long term plan. The fact that you have situational mood shifts and interpersonal problems would likely indicate a more BPD-like picture, although I am no professional and couldn't tell you for sure. Let me ask you something, before the antidepressants, did you ever get sustained periods of highs (2-4 weeks+). Sustained highs (in the absence of any drugs/antidepressants) would indicate a more bipolar picture; short highs (lasting a few hours to a few days) would indicate a more BPD picture.
Well, I've been on my meds since I was 18, so it's been about 35 years, can hardly remember what life was like before them. I don't think I did ever experience highs, only really dark lows. I'm somewhat hopeful about this new shrink I am trying to get an appointment with, as apparently he uses genetic testing somehow to try to narrow down what's going on, but who knows how helpful that will be. Def done with these pill pushers, and I have no idea who I am without pills at this point.

HLon99

HLon99

I have been off since December. Even when I was struggling immensely personally, with meds and emotions, no-one at work knew there was anything wrong. I am pretty confident I can manage the work bit, it is just the impact of it on me out of work I need to be cautious of. If it doesn’t work out, I will leave, like I was going to anyway. Weirdly, while there is no guarantee of a Post for me in Outpatients, I am going to be there for my whole phased return, even though there is not a role for me to fulfil. But they will pay me my full salary to do this 6 weeks, so I am going to use it as a practice for seeing what I can manage. Feel a bit like I have lost everything at the moment anyway, so if this doesn’t work out, I will just stop and it won’t break me.
Don't kid yourself, they know, they just don't say anything, at least not to your face. Had the same thing happen in uni; I thought I was fooling everyone, but when I overheard them talking behind my back once it turns out they all knew. I was only fooling myself.

2Much2Feel

Don't do that. Don't ever question the medical expertise of an incopetant psychiatrist, they hate that. I also had a terrible psychiatrist once, I once put into question her treatment plan and she ended up pulling all my meds and discharging me from the clinic with a false 'emotional dysregulation' diagnosis. Eventually, I got a new one and he put me back on track, but it set my treatment back several months. Just cut ties with him and get a new one.
I think you're right. He is a member of MENSA and therefore dismisses any suggestions from anyone "below" him. Def huge ego. Going to move on finally.

C

CabbageMama

That last sentence has been helpful to me. Apart from this hideous year, for much of which I have been medicated on the mood stabiliser, which had the wrong effect and has now been stopped, my pattern has been high, with occasional very low blips when I sometimes sought GP help, ended up on antidepressants... That is one of the reasons this year has been so difficult, I am not used to feeling so low for such an extended period. This year, I think I probably do present as borderline personality disorder/EUPD, but I believe that to be as a result of the medication.

HLon99

HLon99

Well, I've been on my meds since I was 18, so it's been about 35 years, can hardly remember what life was like before them. I don't think I did ever experience highs, only really dark lows. I'm somewhat hopeful about this new shrink I am trying to get an appointment with, as apparently he uses genetic testing somehow to try to narrow down what's going on, but who knows how helpful that will be. Def done with these pill pushers, and I have no idea who I am without pills at this point.
If you suspect you have BPD, then the only real tried and true treatment is DBT. Have you had therapy in the past and if not is this something you would consider moving forward?