• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Pregabalin as a mood stabiliser?

C

CabbageMama

My Psychiatrist assures me he has Patients that have responded well to it, in conjunction with Vortioxetine, which is a newer antidepressant. I am really strange with medications. Was on Lamotrigine for 9 months which made me super depressed, no high spots. In the past I had been mostly high, just maybe 4 or 5 significant and crashing lows a year, only lasting days sometimes, at most a couple of weeks. No middle ground to speak of.

As I was so depressed (because of the Lamotrigine) and anxious (because I wasn’t getting better) he added Pregabalin and the antidepressant, Vortioxetine. 3 months later, after looking properly at my history and listening to what I had been saying, the Lamotrigine was tapered and stopped over two weeks, the other two meds doubled. I have been so desperate that I have just done what I am told. I had a horrible manic high for nearly a week after the Lamotrigine stopped. Since then, have been super changeable. Have had a lot of good bits, which have been the best ever at the time. Reconnected with old friends, tasted amazing flavours, the sun has felt the most perfect on my skin, everything’s amazing. Until I crash, really really hard, with no warning or trigger. Then all the good stuff feels like it wasn’t real.

I have spoken to the MH team today. Have felt very much like I just cannot cope. I want my old oblivious life back. Last week, getting back to work on a phased return seemed awesome, why wait. Although last week I was also convinced I was going to write a blog, which let to a bestseller on how to thrive with bipolar, which would lead to my entire life changing, so have possibly not been entirely rational. I haven’t showered since Saturday, when I had to. I have had a horrible migraine. How the hell I thought I was ready to go back to work, I don’t know. I have the Teams video call with my Manager, Union rep and HR tomorrow, to finalise details. How am I meant to make a decision about going back or being able to manage working in general, when one minute I am totally up, the other totally down?

2Much2Feel

Is prefabalin (spelling won't let me spell it) the same as gabapentin? I know gabapentin helps me a lot with depression, although it can cause headaches and I think it triggers my migraines when I take an extra. But it's been wonderful overall and I've been on it for 10 years now. At first gained a ton of weight when I'm normally thin, all in the stomach, lowered dose and spread it out a bit more and it all came off. Just a warning if you face the same. I really hope it helps you.

As far as work, I am the last person to answer that. I haven't worked for a few years now b/c of the very same thing, constant mood swings and depression. I hope others can offer better advice on that, and I really, really wish you luck.🙏

F

fragrant_violet

Pregabalin is a kinda painkiller. Also used for anxiety. Gabapentin was what went before it come out. It is not a mood stabilizer as such. Main problem is that it poops out till you get to maximum 600 mg after which it becomes dangerous

C

celticlass

Pregabalin is a kinda painkiller. Also used for anxiety. Gabapentin was what went before it come out. It is not a mood stabilizer as such. Main problem is that it poops out till you get to maximum 600 mg after which it becomes dangerous
Yes it is but it is also used for anxiety. I have to wait to see if a diagnosis of Primary Progressive MS will be confirmed. I experienced quite a bit of leg pain and it helps with that too. It was prescribed for anxiety though. It is not a mood stabiliser.

N

natalie

I'll agree to that also, Pregabalin, certainly isn't a mood stabliser.

O

On Fire

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Are you sure you don't have Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder rather than bipolar disorder? @CabbageMama

C

CabbageMama

Are you sure you don't have Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder rather than bipolar disorder? @CabbageMama
I have absolutely no idea. The Psychiatrist gave me the bipolar 2 diagnosis about 3 weeks ago. It was Cyclothymia before that. The mood stabiliser (Lamotrigine) made me really depressed, but did at least keep things stable. So 9 months of that, then off it and I am all over the place. Apparently the Pregabalin is meant to act as a stabiliser, he has used it this way with other Patients. But I am on the highest dose of the antidepressant which seems ridiculous when I am not generally depressed. I was just trying to try to understand things better, so that I don’t just roll over and do whatever he tells me with the meds at my appt next week. I feel like I just need to come off them all tbh. I was doing ok before all this shitty mental health intervention began a year ago.

Wishbone

Wishbone

You're supposed to have 'inbetweens' with Bipolar where you are not in episode and you're just normal. The exception is the ultra-rapid cycling varieties, but if you had this you'd know it and it'd be constant. So if it's continuous without reprieve then there could be something else going on either instead of, or in combination with, Bipolar.
The way you react or don't react to meds can be clues about this (which is at least half the reason why I think they chuck them at us, to get answers!)
Then there's how you are and how you effect others because you can't turn a manic or depressive episode on or off because you want to, so that's another clue.

HLon99

HLon99

Yeah, as I said before, Pregablin isn't a mood stabiliser and antidepressants are extremely dangerous for bipolar. Your shrink is a quack. Fire him.

P.S. I don't think you're ready for work just yet. One thing at a time, get your meds sorted out, then you can make a decision about your future.

HLon99

HLon99

You're supposed to have 'inbetweens' with Bipolar where you are not in episode and you're just normal. The exception is the ultra-rapid cycling varieties, but if you had this you'd know it and it'd be constant. So if it's continuous without reprieve then there could be something else going on either instead of, or in combination with, Bipolar.
The way you react or don't react to meds can be clues about this (which is at least half the reason why I think they chuck them at us, to get answers!)
Then there's how you are and how you effect others because you can't turn a manic or depressive episode on or off because you want to, so that's another clue.
Its very common for bipolar people on anti-depressants to experience ultra-rapid cycling. I was misdiagnosed with depression and this happened to me. This is likely what is happening to CabbageMama

2Much2Feel

Its very common for bipolar people on anti-depressants to experience ultra-rapid cycling. I was misdiagnosed with depression and this happened to me. This is likely what is happening to CabbageMama
Interesting....

2Much2Feel

Why, is this something that you are experiencing?
Yeah. I was initially diagnosed with major depression when I was young, before borderline came out I believe and before bipolar II was created, was put on SSRIs (prozac had just come out as the ultimate "saviour", every doctor and a prozac pen, clock, etc...) and I self harmed nonstop on it. Had no idea they could do that, have never had a good response to any of them. I believe they made me worse. It wasn't until years later that they put the black box on it warning of such things. Your post made me wonder once again if I am bipolar, rapid cycling, and if the treatment I'm on is making it worse or not. Just afraid to try another pill, to switch yet again, go through withdrawal again, etc. So now I'm determined to be borderline, I fit all the criteria, yet my new shrink keeps telling me I'm bipolar II and tries to get me on all these new fancy expensive antidepressants. I know I rapid cycle, ask me 5 minutes later how I'm feeling and it can be completely different, just wonder if I'm bipolar II or borderline or both if they overlap. But what you said resonated, as I wonder if I should dump this new shrink and move on to my 27th....

Wishbone

Wishbone

Yeah, I mentioned the meds thing and it happened to me too (although I still don't quite know what I'd call it other than a mess.) But the point I was trying to make was that the diagnosis, which she questioned, wasn't likely to be ongoing ultrarapid cycling because it would have been obvious way before now and there are things against that like 9 months of no highs. But once certain meds are introduced? Yeah, sure, it's possible, but only the docs will know I guess because you don't even know yourself when you're in the middle of that cyclone, do you.

@SeattleBP1 If you've self-harmed on antidepressants before and your docs want to try getting you onto them again you need to let them know about this history so they think again.

HLon99

HLon99

Yeah. I was initially diagnosed with major depression when I was young, before borderline came out I believe and before bipolar II was created, was put on SSRIs (prozac had just come out as the ultimate "saviour", every doctor and a prozac pen, clock, etc...) and I self harmed nonstop on it. Had no idea they could do that, have never had a good response to any of them. I believe they made me worse. It wasn't until years later that they put the black box on it warning of such things. Your post made me wonder once again if I am bipolar, rapid cycling, and if the treatment I'm on is making it worse or not. Just afraid to try another pill, to switch yet again, go through withdrawal again, etc. So now I'm determined to be borderline, I fit all the criteria, yet my new shrink keeps telling me I'm bipolar II and tries to get me on all these new fancy expensive antidepressants. I know I rapid cycle, ask me 5 minutes later how I'm feeling and it can be completely different, just wonder if I'm bipolar II or borderline or both if they overlap. But what you said resonated, as I wonder if I should dump this new shrink and move on to my 27th....
BPD is a common enough comorbidity with Bipolar Disorder, so it is possible that you have both. A good way to determine which you have is whether your mood shifts because of events in your life or at random. BPD mood changes are very situation dependent, bipolar mood shifts are largely random. If you have reacted poorly to antidepressants in the past, you should avoid taking them. If your psychiatrist believes that you are Bipolar and is trying to treat you with antidepressants, you should absolutely fire him. At best that is incopetance, at worst that is medical negligence. Bipolar is treated with mood stabilisers; antidepressants are absolutely contraindicated as they can trigger manic episodes and speed up the cycling of mood.