• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Pre Interview Jutters How to over come them?

student12

student12

Hello all as i mentioned in a previous thread i am preparing for a jjob interview for next week. I am i have so far wrote down some mmock interviews and responses for a camp counselor position. and i even researched the mission and youth programs for the local YMCA organization that i applied for. i am even going to have my brother ask me some of the interview questions so i can practice without sounding like a babbling idiot. LOL i really want this badly that is why i am so freaking nervous. so if anyone can give me some interviewing tips that will help i appreciate it.:)

Last edited:
Faylen

Faylen

By the sounds of it - you are really passionate about getting this role and as a camp counselor that is what people want! Someone enthusiastic and willing to work hard and is excited by the opportunity.

Just be yourself and let that passion shine through and you will ace it!

Good luck hun

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
yes you sound like you are doing everything i can think of to help. good luck.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I've only ever done the job interview thing on a handful of occasions when I was about 18, so don't really have any tips.
But I just wanted to respond and wish you good luck. :)

F

Fruitloop

Its really important to keep eye contact during the interview.
Try not to fidget
Good handshake when you meet them
Its better to over talk than it is to not say anything, shows interest. Try to keep it relevant though
Always thank them for their time and the opportunity.
Wish them a nice day when the interview is finished
Remember to take your documents (id ninc etc)

All i can think of atm.
Good luck

calypso

calypso

Admin
Prepare as much as you can. Write down as many questions as you can think of which they might ask. Then you stand in front of a mirror and practise. Look at the Job Description and tease out everything in it. Try hard to think of a question to ask them - but if they ask it in the interview, say, Oh I was going to ask you that - it sounds like you have really thought things through.

As for jitters, remember, you are probably a lot better than the others. Many people go in and don't say much of use. I have interviewed a lot of people and jitters is OK. Many thought others were more qualified, but you know what? I went for personality and warmth, not necessarily paper ability.

I wish you well and hope this isn't too obvious advice.

student12

student12

^So in other words just be natural and just allow my responses to the questions to flow without sounding rehearsed? :)

student12

student12

so what do you think of this response for the tell me about yourself response for a camp counselor position.

I have always considered myself a natural born leader who is caring, patient, responsible, and creative. When i was a mentor and tutor for Project Smile i had the opportunity to plan, coordinate, and carry out college preparatory activities for my proteges. This has helped me to learn valuable skills such as communication, leadership, and teaching skills. I was successful able to come up with creative interactive projects for my mentees enjoyment such as financial aid savager hunt among other various fun but educational activities. This demonstrates my ability to lead a group of people and to think outside of the box in creating interesting activities that teaches them valuable skills.

In addition to my work experience i have also volunteered at Mill Hill Family Center where i have supervised and patiently but firmly managed the classroom conduct of preschoolers. For example when the children behavior were unruly i was able to assertively communicate to them that their conduct was unacceptable which resulted in them stopping the misbehavior. Not only have I've gained classroom experience in leading children, but i have also assisted the director in speech therapy where i was instrumental in teaching preschoolers how to communicate clearly and to speak in complete sentences.

Both my employment background and volunteer service is evidence of my strengths and skills in what is required of a camp counselor which is caring, patience, responsibility, and creativity. This is why i feel that this position is a very good fit for me and i will be really excited and honored to become a member of your team.

pepecat

pepecat

It's a great answer....... But maybe not to the 'tell me about yourself' question. If they ask why you've applied for the role, or what you can offer them, or why you think you'd be a good camp counsellor, or what experience with kids you have, then that answer would be fab, but 'tell me about yourself' (to me) seems to be more about what you're like as a person rather than what you've done. So it might be more appropraite to say that your a student (if you are) and what your studying, what any hobbies are and how you could use them in the camp, perhaps..... Stuff like have you a good sense of humour, are you patient, do you get on well with people....that kind of thing.

student12

student12

Okay the hobbies that i have they may not want in a camp counselor because my hobbies are reading and writing and cooking.

Okay how is this for a response

I am a recent college graduate with a BA in psychology. I am patient, caring, creative, outgoing, responsible, adaptable and energetic. I have the ability to understand and to adapt to difficult situations because children change their minds quickly and don't also enjoy what activities you plan for them so i believe as a camp counselor is important for me to adjust activities to fit their needs. I have the ability to calmly communicate and get along with all kinds of people which i believe is essential in relating to all kinds of children and parents and to solve problems. I am able to think outside of the box and come up with ideas for projects and interactive activities which is key to being a camp counselor. My hobbies are reading, writing, teaching, and cooking which i think are essential life skills that i can bring as a camp counselor.

Last edited:
pepecat

pepecat

Thats a cool answer! It's more 'you' if that makes sense.
Have you googled 'camp America interview questions' at all to see what other people have said? This could be useful :It

I asked my partner about the interviews as she's a lecturer and a lot of her students apply to do this work. She said that they ask really weird interview questions like 'if you were an omelette, which flavour would you be' and weird stuff like that! Maybe it's about seeing how you think on your feet or something, I don't know.

But have a bit of a squizz round the googleweb and see what comes up about interviews for camps.

(That link is really short but it is correct)

student12

student12

Okay LOL which they actually asked people if they were an omelet what favor would they be? that is really a unique and funny way to get to know a candidate.

Kerome

Kerome

Doing great so far I think. There's some good advice on this thread, a smile, firm handshake and a nod goes a long way to a good first impression.

One thing, do you think a camp counsellor would need compassion and the ability to connect? What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are in this area compared to an older candidate?

student12

student12

This is what i have come up with for the tell me about yourself question.

Well i am a college graduate from Rider University with a BA in psychology. I have recently volunteered at the Mill Hill Family center where i was able to utilize my leadership, communication, and teaching skills. I also worked as a mentor and tutor for Project Smile. The thing that i enjoyed about this position was that I've learned not only leadership and communication skills but how to plan, coordinate, and execute interactive educational activities.

My real strength is the ability to adapt and think on my feet when changes occur in the workplace. I am very flexible and tend to adjust to all kinds of challenging situations with ease and patience. I really pride myself on being creative and thinking outside of the box. Lastly i am responsible, outgoing and energetic which i have demonstrated with children and youth in the past and has made me a successful mentor and tutor in the past.

Right now am looking an opportunity that values learning, teamwork, leadership, and teaching skills. And where i can grow and flourish as a camp counselor making a difference in the lives of children. That is what excites me about this position at the YMCA.

Last edited:
student12

student12

URG i HATE THE freaking why should we hire you question. now i am so suck on it and the interview is tommorrow. I dont know how the hell to do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Funnyday Wellbeing 13
E Wellbeing 3
S Wellbeing 1
N Wellbeing 7