• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Potential bipolar 2 diagnosis at adhd assessment

C

chilliwilly77

inattentive ADHD assessment leads to possible bipolar diagnosis.. can you help??

It is time for me to stop reading and to start talking..

I have recently been investigating the possibility of having inattentive ADHD (ADD). I went to see a psychiatrist for an ADHD assessment and they have said I show signs of inattentive type (ADD) and **bipolar** (unspecified type but I guess type 2 seeing as I’ve never had full blown mania).

I feel that I went to the appointment slightly armed with events that I thought might be of interest.. And on reflection the episodes that I thought might be evidence of hypomania.. may just be in the realms of "normal/typical". I’ve also gone through lots of photos and memories and am struggling to find a pattern. I was hoping that some lovely people might help provide some insight into the ongoings in both my depressive episodes and potential hypomanic episodes. I'll answer any questions honestly

**Depression**

When I was 15 I remember having my first depressive episode. I cried my eyes out on my mums lap. I felt really guilty for days about silly things. I cried for nearly 48 hours. I seem to remember it sort of just went away..

Im now 33.. I’ve had various depressive episodes in my life often lasting a few months but one more recently has lasted over a year. I could still go to work, and keep to regular exercise, but had lost all enjoyment in things, and was finding it hard to move from the couch in the evenings. When starting a new job 4.5 years ago I remember my brain fog was so bad I could almost no longer understand words at times. I became anxious about talking even to my girlfriend (now wife) because I was worried I was slurring all the time.

I have more recently been cycling between feeling good a few days to then crashing back down. Especially if I see a friend (worst if more than 1 evening), then I’d spend days or weeks feeling incredibly down and depressed. Unable to get off the couch. Very tearful. Even a pretty restful time with them will cause this.

More recently my thoughts have been going so fast in my head. Really aggravated and leaves me trying to find something to occupy myself.

We moved house and it really pushed me over the edge. I had terrible regret of the purchase. Was waking up with panic attacks. I was working night and day to try and make the place our own. I lost a bit of weight suddenly. Was struggling to sleep well.. tossing and turning or only getting 5/6 hours some nights. Was intermittently taking sleeping tables to try and sleep. (Aggravated Hypomanic state..? or stress?)

I then had my stag do in July and after that I was in a terrible state of depression. I reached out to my GP who prescribed SSRIs.

**SSRIs**

In July I went on ssris. I almost immediately after 3/4 days felt better. I was feeling quite giddy and really enjoying weird stuff like being in the supermarket. My labido came back in force. I felt a little high in the sky.. but eventually levelled after 4 weeks or so. Before getting married I started to feel very low again. l really didn’t want to be rock bottom for our wedding so I asked to up my dose.

I got quite euphoric before and after the wedding in September. I wanted to have sex all the time. I put it down to not finishing at the time due to the SSRIs. One day I went skinny dipping 3 times and got a real kick out of it.. along with some other slightly more left field sexual things. I know this can be a sign of hypomania.. and wonder and a worry for bipolar + ssris.. I wonder if "neurotypicals" could also have this reaction to SSRIs?

**Hypomania?**

I’m reflecting now through all the times that I’ve been in an elevated mood.. essentially some of the best times of my life.

I’ve usually felt a sudden urge to get out of the country without my partner. One particular trip to Bali in \~2016 I remember partying all night then being up at the crack of dawn and surfing all day. I managed this for nearly 2 weeks. I had the overwhelming feeling that I did not want to go back. Was probably sleeping 3-5 hours or so a night.. Put it down to being in my mid 20s..and just burning the candle at both ends. I can’t put my finger on when I was next depressed after that.. it might have not been for a year or so..

A few Fridays ago.. I randomly had a huge surge. I felt quite euphoric. I didn’t know what to do with myself. I drank a beer to try and calm down and really felt like getting on it.. but now I live out of the city I was stuck inside… so I sat and watched tv .. then made myself go to bed… the next day I woke at rock bottom.. my mood was stuck there for 3 days. I found this very weird.. I have felt low before after a big night.. but this was a night in front of the tv and such a contrast…

Around exam times 2009, I was able to study for a ridiculous amount of time. I felt it necessary to improve my grades so I revised for 3+ weeks at around 14 hours a day. I would still get around 8 hours sleep a night..(I think) I have always had good discipline for revising though..

Before lockdown I started to go to CrossFit and got really into it. went for 2 years but towards the end I was going 6 times a week which was taking it’s toll on me physically. I felt like if I stopped that I would fall into a depressive state or something else bad might happen. Sleep was starting to get poor at this time too. It sort of led to one big night out with everyone.. which completely ruined me for a while and I found it hard to see and be around those people in the gym.. If I go out in a great mood and make a solid impression on people I always get this terrible anxiety the next time I see them because I know I
won’t be able to be that person that they had such fun with.

A year back we left the city and moved to the coast in the UK. I've been throwing myself into the outdoor lifestyle.. recently though I started to really over do it. I was trying to stay busy every second of the day.. getting up early for a surf..maybe a lunchtime walk then an evening walk or surf.. and maybe midnight stroll under the stars..my partner was finding it hard to keep up with me. It was like I had constant fomo and that I needed to go and do something. I felt agitated all the time. I thought maybe I was just using it to stop thinking about the impending house purchase that I was already unsure on. This ended with a plunge back into depression after my stag party that triggered me to take the SSRIs .. I can’t even think about going out there to surf atm..

I do feel that some days even amidst a reasonably long low period.. I really feel like doing stuff and seeing people etc.. so make plans and commitments.. only to regret it when I actually have to follow through and I am in a different mood..

So much of this could be explained away with "high stress.. an impulsive nature that leads to risky choices.. being in my mid 20s and just having the energy to do these things.. oh and all the multiple depressive episodes that happen despite regular exercise, a good career and loving relationships..

Any insights to my murmurings would really be appreciated

S

SFGuy

I don't know what diagnoses apply to you, but I can tell you about my experiences with Bipolar II and ADHD, inattentive type.

The psychiatrist who first diagnosed my BP started by treating my worst bipolar symptoms (something called mixed states) using a mood stabilizer. The first one was dangerous to my kidneys, but the second one worked without bad side effects. That was miraculous.

Then, more meds for anxiety, insomnia, and depression. Many trials and fails, but the successes made the process of finding the right drugs worthwhile.

She added a diagnosis of ADHD inattentive type later. We used a first line treatment successfully (amphetamines) as well as an adjunctive second line treatment (guanfacine).

I'm on a truckload of meds, but I trust my psychiatrist because she is an expert in both bipolar and ADHD, and I like the effects of her treatment.

I hope you experience this as good news. Treatment has transformed my life for the better.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Hi chilly, welcome.
Having read through that I'd find it hard to say that I disagreed with the diagnosis (not that I'm a doctor but you know!) You got what sounds like lots of identifiable mood changes there. That's maybe one thing that I would say is key is that you can recall, see, and feel them in yourself, so you're not likely to be too far out there but clearly you've got some good hypo's going on here at least, you may even have a couple of other bigger episodes in there too.
Have you been formally diagnosed with these things then and what did they do about medication?

Also, you seem to have a problem with the way you feel, especially in terms of depression, after drinking, it might be a good idea to try and stop, have you tried before?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Oh, and how long do your episodes seem to last for and how often do they occur? Take a random year and tell me how many of these episodes you reckon you had and how long they lasted for.

C

chilliwilly77

Oh, and how long do your episodes seem to last for and how often do they occur? Take a random year and tell me how many of these episodes you reckon you had and how long they lasted for.

I feel like I’ve possibly been in a hypo manic state for the past 4/5 days and I’m starting to finally slow down and my mind isn’t racing quite as fast.. I currently feel like Im coming down.. sleep has been irritable with maybe average of 6 hours a night good sleep.

ironically I’ve been fixated on figuring out what has been going on with my mental health.. concentration and moods which led me to getting a last minute private appointment on Friday.

I’m finding it really hard to piece together a timescale for events in terms of lengths of cycles.. my hypo periods can last between a few hours and a few days typically. I had some pretty unusual behaviour for 5-6 weeks at one point.. then sloped down into a long slump of depression that lasted months (4-5?)

more recently I’ve been more agitated. Wanted to work day and night to sort the garden/ house with mind that is racing and ruminating. Is this a mixed state..? Would have the same song stuck in repeat.. feeling stressed and anxious and not sleeping well.:

C

chilliwilly77

I don't know what diagnoses apply to you, but I can tell you about my experiences with Bipolar II and ADHD, inattentive type.

The psychiatrist who first diagnosed my BP started by treating my worst bipolar symptoms (something called mixed states) using a mood stabilizer. The first one was dangerous to my kidneys, but the second one worked without bad side effects. That was miraculous.

Then, more meds for anxiety, insomnia, and depression. Many trials and fails, but the successes made the process of finding the right drugs worthwhile.

She added a diagnosis of ADHD inattentive type later. We used a first line treatment successfully (amphetamines) as well as an adjunctive second line treatment (guanfacine).

I'm on a truckload of meds, but I trust my psychiatrist because she is an expert in both bipolar and ADHD, and I like the effects of her treatment.

I hope you experience this as good news. Treatment has transformed my life for the better.

Thank you for your message. This is a really positive experience and I hope to come back and say the same in a year or so. I think I’m starting to come to terms with it being an accurate diagnosis. How did you feel when it was first mentioned by a medical professional. I’ve already blurted it out to my family.. my father (who I think also suffers) was not in the right mood to receive the news and rolled his eyes at my mum. That was a bit heartbreaking.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I’m finding it really hard to piece together a timescale for events in terms of lengths of cycles.. my hypo periods can last between a few hours and a few days typically. I had some pretty unusual behaviour for 5-6 weeks at one point.. then sloped down into a long slump of depression that lasted months (4-5?)

more recently I’ve been more agitated. Wanted to work day and night to sort the garden/ house with mind that is racing and ruminating. Is this a mixed state..? Would have the same song stuck in repeat.. feeling stressed and anxious and not sleeping well.:
What about medication, did they add anything, change anything?
It sounds like you're cycling quickly, which may turn out to be rapid cycling (more than four full episodes within one year is grounds for a diagnosis of rapid cycling Bipolar). Agitation is a common part of hypomania/mania and is something I'm really still learning about myself as I used to think it was that only certain specific episodes contained agitation/irritibaility, but it seems that many do contain it, at least in part. They used to call these mixed states when there was a very clear state in which there was a lot of agitation present but they changed the wording to 'mixed features' as - as I alluded to - episodes can have these features present within them but not be 'full' of it.
The song thing is weird, I've not found anything about this yet but I've seen it posted on here before and it's something I've experienced myself too. I have no explanation for it as yet but I assume it's part of hypomania with a racing thoughts-type connection to it. I'll look into that actually.

C

chilliwilly77

What about medication, did they add anything, change anything?
It sounds like you're cycling quickly, which may turn out to be rapid cycling (more than four full episodes within one year is grounds for a diagnosis of rapid cycling Bipolar). Agitation is a common part of hypomania/mania and is something I'm really still learning about myself as I used to think it was that only certain specific episodes contained agitation/irritibaility, but it seems that many do contain it, at least in part. They used to call these mixed states when there was a very clear state in which there was a lot of agitation present but they changed the wording to 'mixed features' as - as I alluded to - episodes can have these features present within them but not be 'full' of it.
The song thing is weird, I've not found anything about this yet but I've seen it posted on here before and it's something I've experienced myself too. I have no explanation for it as yet but I assume it's part of hypomania with a racing thoughts-type connection to it. I'll look into that actually.

No they haven’t yet made any changes. I have to take blood tests for the mood stabilisers so it might take a bit of time.
Apparently it will depend on my GP, I will chat to them tomorrow. It’s currently just a “possible” diagnosis apparently. These things seem to take a long time!

I feel I should come off the SSRIs as they appear to be exacerbating my symptoms. I will wait to chat to the GP before I do this obviously.

I did have some fairly unusual thoughts a few days ago which have subsided now. We went to a friends dad’s funeral and I started to feel that her partner might have offed him for the inheritance.
All this is based on real thoughts I’ve have had in the past like “our friend and their family are well off” and “our friend’s partner comes off as a bit of a goldigger”. However short lived it was.. the intensity to which I felt this connection was quite extreme

Wishbone

Wishbone

You didn't mention mood stabilisers. Lithium is it? How long have you been on them? Just ask if the diagnosis is confirmed or not, they'll tell you. SSRIs are not my favourite thing in the world to say the least! But yes, speak to your GP before anything else.
Regarding the thoughts it's a grey area for sure. I've had something similar before where I was convinced of something that was based on truth and true events but my own interpretation of it made things fuzzy as to what was a legitimate assumption or opinion and what was a delusion. I don't know where the line is drawn there, I guess it has to be a professionals opinion to determine if it has a sound enough foundation of fact to it or has gone too far. Either way, delusions happen, they don't signal the end of the world if they do but obviously sometimes, just like mood itself, it can get a bit too far out there and things need reining in. These are all things you should be open about discussing with the docs as it will help them know your own case better and in turn help you get the right treatment, so don't ever keep such things from them.

S

SFGuy

I have to take blood tests for the mood stabilisers so it might take a bit of time.

Apparently it will depend on my GP, I will chat to them tomorrow. It’s currently just a “possible” diagnosis apparently. These things seem to take a long time!

I feel I should come off the SSRIs as they appear to be exacerbating my symptoms. I will wait to chat to the GP before I do this obviously.
Yes. Mood stabilizers can take a while to kick in. When I started my successful one (Depakote ER), I could feel it in 3 days and it was working well at 30 days. If you are on Lithium, it might take a little longer.

Your chat with the GP is crucial. SSRIs are famous for making bipolar worse unless they’re used cautiously and you’re taking bipolar meds along with them, as Wishbone said.

Diagnosis is hard on you and hard for the docs. I wasn’t sure I had BP until I felt the mood stabilizer kick in. If Bipolar is what Depakote treats, then I have bipolar. That’s a backwards way to get a diagnosis, but it worked for me.

F

Frankum35

inattentive ADHD assessment leads to possible bipolar diagnosis.. can you help??

It is time for me to stop reading and to start talking..

I have recently been investigating the possibility of having inattentive ADHD (ADD). I went to see a psychiatrist for an ADHD assessment and they have said I show signs of inattentive type (ADD) and **bipolar** (unspecified type but I guess type 2 seeing as I’ve never had full blown mania).

I feel that I went to the appointment slightly armed with events that I thought might be of interest.. And on reflection the episodes that I thought might be evidence of hypomania.. may just be in the realms of "normal/typical". I’ve also gone through lots of photos and memories and am struggling to find a pattern. I was hoping that some lovely people might help provide some insight into the ongoings in both my depressive episodes and potential hypomanic episodes. I'll answer any questions honestly

**Depression**

When I was 15 I remember having my first depressive episode. I cried my eyes out on my mums lap. I felt really guilty for days about silly things. I cried for nearly 48 hours. I seem to remember it sort of just went away..

Im now 33.. I’ve had various depressive episodes in my life often lasting a few months but one more recently has lasted over a year. I could still go to work, and keep to regular exercise, but had lost all enjoyment in things, and was finding it hard to move from the couch in the evenings. When starting a new job 4.5 years ago I remember my brain fog was so bad I could almost no longer understand words at times. I became anxious about talking even to my girlfriend (now wife) because I was worried I was slurring all the time.

I have more recently been cycling between feeling good a few days to then crashing back down. Especially if I see a friend (worst if more than 1 evening), then I’d spend days or weeks feeling incredibly down and depressed. Unable to get off the couch. Very tearful. Even a pretty restful time with them will cause this.

More recently my thoughts have been going so fast in my head. Really aggravated and leaves me trying to find something to occupy myself.

We moved house and it really pushed me over the edge. I had terrible regret of the purchase. Was waking up with panic attacks. I was working night and day to try and make the place our own. I lost a bit of weight suddenly. Was struggling to sleep well.. tossing and turning or only getting 5/6 hours some nights. Was intermittently taking sleeping tables to try and sleep. (Aggravated Hypomanic state..? or stress?)

I then had my stag do in July and after that I was in a terrible state of depression. I reached out to my GP who prescribed SSRIs.

**SSRIs**

In July I went on ssris. I almost immediately after 3/4 days felt better. I was feeling quite giddy and really enjoying weird stuff like being in the supermarket. My labido came back in force. I felt a little high in the sky.. but eventually levelled after 4 weeks or so. Before getting married I started to feel very low again. l really didn’t want to be rock bottom for our wedding so I asked to up my dose.

I got quite euphoric before and after the wedding in September. I wanted to have sex all the time. I put it down to not finishing at the time due to the SSRIs. One day I went skinny dipping 3 times and got a real kick out of it.. along with some other slightly more left field sexual things. I know this can be a sign of hypomania.. and wonder and a worry for bipolar + ssris.. I wonder if "neurotypicals" could also have this reaction to SSRIs?

**Hypomania?**

I’m reflecting now through all the times that I’ve been in an elevated mood.. essentially some of the best times of my life.

I’ve usually felt a sudden urge to get out of the country without my partner. One particular trip to Bali in \~2016 I remember partying all night then being up at the crack of dawn and surfing all day. I managed this for nearly 2 weeks. I had the overwhelming feeling that I did not want to go back. Was probably sleeping 3-5 hours or so a night.. Put it down to being in my mid 20s..and just burning the candle at both ends. I can’t put my finger on when I was next depressed after that.. it might have not been for a year or so..

A few Fridays ago.. I randomly had a huge surge. I felt quite euphoric. I didn’t know what to do with myself. I drank a beer to try and calm down and really felt like getting on it.. but now I live out of the city I was stuck inside… so I sat and watched tv .. then made myself go to bed… the next day I woke at rock bottom.. my mood was stuck there for 3 days. I found this very weird.. I have felt low before after a big night.. but this was a night in front of the tv and such a contrast…

Around exam times 2009, I was able to study for a ridiculous amount of time. I felt it necessary to improve my grades so I revised for 3+ weeks at around 14 hours a day. I would still get around 8 hours sleep a night..(I think) I have always had good discipline for revising though..

Before lockdown I started to go to CrossFit and got really into it. went for 2 years but towards the end I was going 6 times a week which was taking it’s toll on me physically. I felt like if I stopped that I would fall into a depressive state or something else bad might happen. Sleep was starting to get poor at this time too. It sort of led to one big night out with everyone.. which completely ruined me for a while and I found it hard to see and be around those people in the gym.. If I go out in a great mood and make a solid impression on people I always get this terrible anxiety the next time I see them because I know I
won’t be able to be that person that they had such fun with.

A year back we left the city and moved to the coast in the UK. I've been throwing myself into the outdoor lifestyle.. recently though I started to really over do it. I was trying to stay busy every second of the day.. getting up early for a surf..maybe a lunchtime walk then an evening walk or surf.. and maybe midnight stroll under the stars..my partner was finding it hard to keep up with me. It was like I had constant fomo and that I needed to go and do something. I felt agitated all the time. I thought maybe I was just using it to stop thinking about the impending house purchase that I was already unsure on. This ended with a plunge back into depression after my stag party that triggered me to take the SSRIs .. I can’t even think about going out there to surf atm..

I do feel that some days even amidst a reasonably long low period.. I really feel like doing stuff and seeing people etc.. so make plans and commitments.. only to regret it when I actually have to follow through and I am in a different mood..

So much of this could be explained away with "high stress.. an impulsive nature that leads to risky choices.. being in my mid 20s and just having the energy to do these things.. oh and all the multiple depressive episodes that happen despite regular exercise, a good career and loving relationships..

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get your diagnosis soon. Be patient, it may take some time.

S

SFGuy

How did you feel when it was first mentioned by a medical professional. I’ve already blurted it out to my family.. my father (who I think also suffers) was not in the right mood to receive the news and rolled his eyes at my mum. That was a bit heartbreaking.
I'm sorry to hear about the heartbreaking reaction from your father. It can take those close to you quite a while to accept your diagnoses, and sometimes they just won't get it.

When my psychiatrist suggested bipolar, I was relieved. I had my first major depression at 8, but was not diagnosed with bipolar for more than 45 years. Throughout my adulthood, psychiatrists said I had depression & anxiety, which was true enough, but not far enough. They put me on antidepressants, which probably made things a little worse, and Xanax, which made my symptoms easier to tolerate.

But the symptoms got worse and more obvious as I got older, though not obvious to me. Once I got on Depakote, the stabilizer that works for me, I was sold on the BP II diagnosis.

When my current doc later diagnosed me with ADHD, I was surprised because I've never been hyperactive. Then she explained inattentive type. That's me! ADHD meds have helped, but not as much as the BP and anxiety meds.

The BP diagnosis has also helped me understand my history and why an 8 year old boy would feel like killing himself. That seemed less weird once I realized it happened because my brain wiring is a little off.

2Much2Feel

I'm sorry to hear about the heartbreaking reaction from your father. It can take those close to you quite a while to accept your diagnoses, and sometimes they just won't get it.

When my psychiatrist suggested bipolar, I was relieved. I had my first major depression at 8, but was not diagnosed with bipolar for more than 45 years. Throughout my adulthood, psychiatrists said I had depression & anxiety, which was true enough, but not far enough. They put me on antidepressants, which probably made things a little worse, and Xanax, which made my symptoms easier to tolerate.

But the symptoms got worse and more obvious as I got older, though not obvious to me. Once I got on Depakote, the stabilizer that works for me, I was sold on the BP II diagnosis.

When my current doc later diagnosed me with ADHD, I was surprised because I've never been hyperactive. Then she explained inattentive type. That's me! ADHD meds have helped, but not as much as the BP and anxiety meds.

The BP diagnosis has also helped me understand my history and why an 8 year old boy would feel like killing himself. That seemed less weird once I realized it happened because my brain wiring is a little off.
you've been super helpful, just so you know. going to talk to my shrink about depakote, maybe give it a go. think he may be correct that I have bp2. have been working with BPD, depression and anxiety diagnoses for decades. thank you. xx

C

chilliwilly77

I’m so glad that I’ve come to this forum to post. It has made me feel very positive knowing that there are such a supportive bunch of people out there who can better understand what I’m going through. Thank you so much.

I’ve always been very open talking about sexuality, emotion, meaning of life etc so I hope I will be able to wear down my family.

I’ve realised now that I am definitely currently manic. I’ve slept about 5 hours on average a night for nearly a week. I believe I am past the peek of it. I think I’ve had a manic phase in the past that has lasted months and months. as a result though I’m feeling very positive about the diagnosis. I also feel like I’m able to access memories of “the good times” so much easier. In the car the other day listening to some tunes and I felt like I was 17 again. It’s like a portal has opened up to the me that I have been longing for for quite some time. I recognise that this is all symptoms of the mania but it’s a relief in a way that I’m not doomed into a state of depression for the rest of my days.

I also feel like I’m an echo chamber for anxiety right now. If my partner starts to present as anxious at the moment, I instantly get very anxious and agitated too. This has happened before. I can’t empathise with her sadness really. It must be awful to be around me when I’m like this and you just need someone to listen to you and talk to.

Is the definition of manic over hypomanic simply the duration?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Can you tell me more about the ADHD side of things as I've been wondering if this could actually ring true for me too. I've spoken many times on here about being unable to concentrate and that persists even when not in an episode of any kind. I was also a bit hyper as a kid and would wander around the class a lot in many of my lessons but nothing was mentioned about this kind of thing when I was a kid, or anything else for that matter, other than a mention in my report on occasion of me being capable "if in the mood". :rolleyes:

Is the definition of manic over hypomanic simply the duration?

No, mania is more severe, usually lasts a lot longer and includes a lot more reckless or challenging behaviour, irritability or euphoria, and can include delusions or hallucinations. Mania can mess your life up in a big way, like making you lose jobs or at least need to take time off, potentially need to go to hospital etc. Hypomania is the level below mania and tends to be shorter-lived, less severe and usually more enjoyable, although you can be irritable with it too. For example, I tend to have good hypomania episodes but bad mania ones.