• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Postpsychotic depression

D

Derail

Hey you all,

I am struggling a lot nowadays. After my psychotic episode (it lasted about 8 months) ended one and a half months ago, I have been tumbling into depression. I am feeling very lonely and questioning my life and life in general. I see no future for myself. I also get these states of deepest sadness and despair, where I have to cry uncontrollably. These last for hours every day. All of it is really hard to stand and I feel like I am not even able to exist and can’t go on like this any longer. It feels way worse as compared to being psychotic, since I now lost all my drive and hope.
I am told it’s postpsychotic depression and would get better, but I’m having a hard time believing this. I have been put on escitaloprame today, but I don’t think I can wait until it starts working, if it even does.

Did anyone experience something similar and how long did it take for you to get better?
Did antidepressive medication help you?
I think I could use a heads up.

Thank you

veela

veela

Hello Derail.
Stay strong. I know it is tough but never give up.
The best advice i can think of is, never stop taking your meds. And if you feel like they are not working or you are experiencing side effects immediately contact your psychiatrist. You have to find out which meds will work best for you.
You have a lot behind you, after such a long psychotic episode your body and mind needs a deep rest. It is like you have ran a marathon in your mind. You should consult a professional to talk about everything and so on.
I am no big speaker (especially not in english) but if you want to exchange experiences you can write me if you want to. For your information, i have paranoid schizophrenia and i am struggling with it since 5 years.
Best wishes
veela

D

Derail

Hi veela,
Thanks a lot for your nice words and tips.
It is always helpful to hear, that it was a tough thing to go through and that it needs time to heal.

I have a therapist I see once a week, but it is not enough support. I even considered hospital again, but I want to prevent that.

I would like to chat, thanks!

Cheers

veela

veela

If you want to prevent another in-patient stay try to focus.
Focus on what you love/like to do.
I like visiting my brother because he gives me energy to move forward, or telephone calls with my mother, also an energy source of mine, listening to music for hours, go play basketball or being on this forum since a few days is also very helpful i think. Before Corona i visited a self help group, which also was very helpful. You will find tons of support there.
If nothing helps, try to talk to your therapist about it, he will def have solutions for you.

F

futurista

Hi Derail!

In short:
1. It can last quite long. Including MILDER symptoms, one or two years.
2. Yes, a proper antidepressant should help.

More comments:
After my first psychotic episode I also did not believe that it will get better, although everyone was telling me that. I know it is easy to say, but... you have to be patient. I first went on without any antidepressant, then the doctor tried the first medication, which did not help, then the second one, and the third one, until there was a match between me and the antidepressant. It took time, and it was terrible. So this took a few months, but after a year or two from that moment I managed to get back to some activities and actually enjoy them.
The point when the correct antidepressant started working was a turning point from the state that I could not accept and could live with to the state which was acceptable.

Are you German?

I know it is difficult...
It would be nice to hear from you.

W

WDR98

About ten years ago after my first psychotic episode I was diagnosed with psychotic depression and took mirtazapine. During the last decade I've meet some amazing people, learnt loads and had a great time. Now my diagnoses is chronic schizophrenia which I accept. Mental health problems are hard to diagnose. My life is good; I live in my own home, drive a car and have been discharged from mental health services. Life can get better. Try to avoid drugs and alcohol ( although I didn't ) and work with mental health services until you no longer need them. There's nothing wrong with crying its okay not to be okay.

K

karl7

Hey you all,

I am struggling a lot nowadays. After my psychotic episode (it lasted about 8 months) ended one and a half months ago, I have been tumbling into depression. I am feeling very lonely and questioning my life and life in general. I see no future for myself. I also get these states of deepest sadness and despair, where I have to cry uncontrollably. These last for hours every day. All of it is really hard to stand and I feel like I am not even able to exist and can’t go on like this any longer. It feels way worse as compared to being psychotic, since I now lost all my drive and hope.
I am told it’s postpsychotic depression and would get better, but I’m having a hard time believing this. I have been put on escitaloprame today, but I don’t think I can wait until it starts working, if it even does.

Did anyone experience something similar and how long did it take for you to get better?
Did antidepressive medication help you?
I think I could use a heads up.

Thank you
i know from experience how tough depression can be, but you got to remember that this phase will pass, you will get over it and you will be much the stronger for it. Relax and take it as easy as you can.