Postman shouted at me and made threats

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

So this morning I heard a loud thumb at the door I thought it was the police or somebody trying to break in at first so I got scared and then I saw something being forced through the letterbox so I opened the door and it was the postman and he shouted at me and said:

"Why didn't you open the door" in an angry voice.

I said to the postman there is no need to shout and his response to that was:

"Next time I will not give you your mail"

And then he walked off.

He is my regular postman and I've got several parcels that I'm waiting for and I'm now worried I'm not going to get them and also he might not deliver important letters like bank statements and other letters.

What should I do? :panic:

Now I'm worried I could lose money on the things I bought on ebay as he can easily scan them off as being received.

My Bank statements and other letters with confidential information could be at risk of being taken by fraudsters if they were to be dumped. He did say he wasn't going to deliver my mail?

This is not fair he does not understand the importance and the issues this could cause. I can understand if his job is stressful but I'm not there to be shouted at and if he don't like his job then he should get another one.

Last edited:
H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
He was probably having a bad day, not that that is an excuse to be mean to you.

As he is your regular postman, you know who he is and can complain if your parcels and letters stop turning up. I don't think they will though. He will lose his job if he starts doing that.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
I think that I would complain anyway about what he has said. That's not on. Helena is right legally he has to deliver (or attempt to) your post. If you have tracking of your items from eBay you can keep an eye on their progress too.

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

I think that I would complain anyway about what he has said. That's not on. Helena is right legally he has to deliver (or attempt to) your post. If you have tracking of your items from eBay you can keep an eye on their progress too.
I was going to hold off to see if I get my parcels but its probably best I make the complaint and report the incident right away on Monday morning, with the date and time of the incident.

Luckily I have a witness who also heard what he said as well.

In regards to the tracking numbers they are next to useless if he scans the items off as delivered unless they are sent on special delivery in which they'd require a signature.

Last edited:
Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi TD,
Sorry this happened to you, nobody has the right to shout at you.
I'd complain, hope you get your parcels and letters okay.
Take care

N

natalie

Hi TD,

Sorry that this has h appened.

I would also, and if as you suggest you have got a witness who heard exactly, what went on and shouldn't have happened, make a complaint, either to a ombudsman or at the Royal mail directly, and take each step slowly as you go along. And I also think, he probably was having a turn of a bad day.

Sometimes, though, and we know ourselves, they'll knock or ring the doorbell, mother can't walk quick, dad could be elsewhere, and I am mostly upstairs, also, and they don't give a chance, for the door to be answered.

This isn't uncommon, regarding doors not being answered quick enough, it seems, this was highly unusual, for the remarks though and threats, definitely complain.

Kind Regards.

Drooo

Drooo

It's tricky because although he should have remained professional and shouldn't have shouted at you, it could have just been down to a bad incident or a bad day, or something going on in his private life that is causing him serious problems at the moment; e.g: his mother may have recently died or something for all we know. That would almost make me cautious about potentially inflicting more trouble on the man.

I don't know if this is something you would consider doing but I'd be tempted to speak with him briefly about the incident the next time you see him. Explain that you didn't appreciate him raising his voice at you and maybe even ask him if there was a reason for it. That way you'd get to see for sure if it was just a bad day/personal problems or if he's just a dickhead. If it's the latter then you can obviously feel a bit better about reporting his actions, if it's the former then you could maybe exercise some empathy, forgive and forget.

I don't think you need to worry about deliveries, your goods should be fine.

N

natalie

I just had a thought TD, you know that you can track your parcels, on Royal Mail, via their website, on line.

Just a tip.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
from speaking to them it's a hard job and lot of pressure rounds are getting longer, i wouldn't complain unless the incident causes something, throwing fuel on the fire

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

It's tricky because although he should have remained professional and shouldn't have shouted at you, it could have just been down to a bad incident or a bad day, or something going on in his private life that is causing him serious problems at the moment; e.g: his mother may have recently died or something for all we know. That would almost make me cautious about potentially inflicting more trouble on the man.

I don't know if this is something you would consider doing but I'd be tempted to speak with him briefly about the incident the next time you see him. Explain that you didn't appreciate him raising his voice at you and maybe even ask him if there was a reason for it. That way you'd get to see for sure if it was just a bad day/personal problems or if he's just a dickhead. If it's the latter then you can obviously feel a bit better about reporting his actions, if it's the former then you could maybe exercise some empathy, forgive and forget.

I don't think you need to worry about deliveries, your goods should be fine.
I did think about that but I can't take the risk of losing parcels and mail. He dosen't appear to be professional although he has been working in the area for some years now and he does have an attitude problem I've heard him shout at other people in the past. He seems to be friendly with some people but not with others.

His not somebody I feel I can talk to as I've tried before when he was posting letters to me addressed to somebody else from 3 streets away and I tried speaking to him then but its either that he had trouble understanding me or he generally did not want to listen.