• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Post traumatic stress and guilt

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

🗣Today I was thinking about my memory. Things I’ve experienced in life. One thing that sticks out for me is that I seem to have always gotten my way through kindness and being polite. The more I think about it the more I think I should’ve battled my inner demons better because now I feel this overwhelming feeling of guilt. The one thing that shows the same feelings of guilt which has been posted here a lot lately is pleasure.

I think to categorize it into different kinds of guilt would be useless. And to categorize it into different feelings of guilt confuses me. I wish I didn’t take out such aggression on myself sometimes in times of struggle because then I wouldn’t feel so ashamed or guilty. Thanks for the read

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I don't fully understand what you have written, but you mentioned kindness and being polite and that reminded me of something i think about often - that i shouldn't have been so kind and polite in the past, i should have stuck up for myself more and been more assertive. I don't know if we are talking about the same thing though?

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I don't fully understand what you have written, but you mentioned kindness and being polite and that reminded me of something i think about often - that i shouldn't have been so kind and polite in the past, i should have stuck up for myself more and been more assertive. I don't know if we are talking about the same thing though?
Its having a feeling of guilt that comes from no where. You’ve really done nothing wrong and you feel ashamed. Causes me a mess of stress. Thanks for the reply.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I too often feel guilt but for no reason. Were you made to feel guilt as a child? I think that is where the guilt comes from for me.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I too often feel guilt but for no reason. Were you made to feel guilt as a child? I think that is where the guilt comes from for me.
Yes I was! And I did weird things that made me feel guilty about my past. Like swallowing pennies, and pissing myself on trampoline or in pool. Stupid stuff like that. I killed a frog by accident once with plastic lawn mower and didn’t hear the end of it from my subconscious. These are things I’d like to awaken in myself and overcome. Am I being to hard to understand?

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

And to go on... I’m in my apartment now after a long vacation at my old home but it’s not going well. I’m going to try to move into my parents again. I feel to sick to continue my apt living and to take care of myself both mentally and health wise. I wish I would of thought about these problems in the beginning of the year so I wouldn’t feel so jammed. Wish me luck with asking my mother about this, she’s very strict sometimes.

P

Pollypop

I hope you feel a little more settled soon.

If you want to move back home, I hope your mum agrees.

Take care.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

And on top of everything else I still have to work my program. My program details are down to phone calls and weekly meeting due to the virus, which does give me some relief but I still feel the pressures. I hope I don’t make any past mistakes or fall into old ways and traps. I feel like this leg of my journey has just begun. I feel sad. And overwhelmed. But I will try to cut down on as much as I can do I can be fitter and happier!

Jam1990

Jam1990

I also feel guilt from nowhere. It’s just how my brain works. It’s just used to feeling this way I think. I felt guilty growing up for being gay and I think it just programmed my brain to automatically feel this way. Anytime I feel any kind of happiness it’s automatically drowned out by feelings of guilt and shame. It’s awful and I don’t know how to get past it. I sometimes think of punishing myself in different ways. I’m real messed up :-(

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I also feel guilt from nowhere. It’s just how my brain works. It’s just used to feeling this way I think. I felt guilty growing up for being gay and I think it just programmed my brain to automatically feel this way. Anytime I feel any kind of happiness it’s automatically drowned out by feelings of guilt and shame. It’s awful and I don’t know how to get past it. I sometimes think of punishing myself in different ways. I’m real messed up :-(
Thanks for the share! Do you ever channel it somewhere else.. I’m sure you still have a sense of humor to fight it. I feel it from death a lot. Guilt that I wasn’t there enough for my family ( whom have passed) and peers (I don’t talk to anymore) As for being gay it’s nothing to be ashamed of, we’re all different in our own ways.

Jam1990

Jam1990

Thanks for the share! Do you ever channel it somewhere else.. I’m sure you still have a sense of humor to fight it. I feel it from death a lot. Guilt that I wasn’t there enough for my family ( whom have passed) and peers (I don’t talk to anymore) As for being gay it’s nothing to be ashamed of, we’re all different in our own ways.
I don’t know how to fight it. I try telling myself that I’m a good person but it only helps temporarily. I’m afraid that I’m doomed to feel this way forever.