Post-grad existential anxiety/depression

E

emceeq

Hi y'all,
I've been dealing with OCD, anxiety, and dysthymia since I was about 8 years old and it comes in goes in waves. Recently I graduated college with a BA which is such an amazing accomplishment, but now I am living at home and unemployed just trying to figure out where I'm going to go next in life. This is the first time in my life that I have not been a student, and it is all super overwhelming. It has made my anxiety definitely worsen, and I have been having strange sensations and thoughts regarding our planet, space, existence, gravity, literally everything. The only way that I can really explain it is that I cannot snap out of this "hyper-aware" state where everything I do I am overly conscious of the fact that we are all floating on a planet out in space... and then I get all panicked when I think about this then become super detached to my surroundings and everything just feels alien. Looking out onto the horizon gives me panic attacks because it reminds me of the earth's curvature, even if it is barely visible by the naked eye at a ground level. It just makes me feel so off -- like the whole earth is just this big space ship that I can't escape from; almost like a claustrophobic feeling. Anyways, I know this is a common thing that people think about because in the end, everyone has existential thoughts and feelings sometimes. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice to someone like me who is just so sensitive to all of this kind of stuff, and how to snap back to reality. Thank you all :)

R

rosejmj

It seems like you have too much time to think. I know a little of what it's like to live at home without a job. It makes you see the world in a different way and you wonder what the purpose of it all is. If you can it might help to look for a job or do some volunteer work or even just pick up a new skill or something to stay busy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Anxiety Forum 1
midnightphoenix Anxiety Forum 27
S Anxiety Forum 3
midnightphoenix Anxiety Forum 3
I Anxiety Forum 2