• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Possession

Turtle1980

Turtle1980

So I once went into a fortune teller place to look around the lady went to shake my hand and withdrew quickly never saying why then the voices started, I'm very worried about it. Could this be real

Turtle1980

Turtle1980

I had a few Etcs but I totally went shopping in this lady's store and she wouldn't shake my less than ten seconds and rushed me out now that voices started I was recalling that moment

Turtle1980

Turtle1980

I'm new to hearing voices. I haven't convinced myself it's a chemical imbalance. For the first few months I thought someone implanted something in me or something. The voices are demon like though and scary

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Can I ask how old you were when the voices started and how old you are now?

I was just days away from turning 36 when I heard my voice for the first time, I'm about 3 months short of 42. So nearly 6 years.

In the early days before meds I'm sure my voice had control of me like I was possessed, it's shaped my beliefs about what voices really are, that and many other experiences.

People who get diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder usually have their voices or alters take control of them for periods at a time, sometimes we're awake and aware we're out of control and sometimes we blackout and find we've done things, one extreme was someone saying they couldn't remember the better part of a decade and found they'd posted all sorts on Facebook about holidays and events they've supposedly been to.

Turtle1980

Turtle1980

I'm 40 now. I just rely heavily on faith all my life and from a Bible stand point they cast out demons. How did this happen to me all of a sudden, voices wanting to kill me thinking I'm being followed ugh. I'm sorry

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I never found any answers in spirituality but another member pointed out a book to me that has my favourite hearing voices theory.

The author claims we all have another consciousness that shares our body with us, he writes about a small group of neurologists back in the 1960's who came to the conclusion that our mind resides within the left 'dominant' hemisphere of the brain and this other consciousness resides in the right hemisphere.

My own experiences tell me the same thing, my voice is with me every waking moment, it seems to see, hear, smell, taste and feel what I do, I believe it can even manipulate my senses to create hallucinations, it even knows my dreams and has in the past demonstrated an ability to influence them too.

I believe it took control of my body by taking advantage of some of my neurotransmitters (Dopamine and Serotonin) being higher than normal which allowed its electrical signals to travel along my/our central nervous system stronger and faster than my own signals.

Even on medications that lower my neurotransmitter levels it can still wiggle my finger tips and make other small muscles twitch.

If any of this is remotely true that would mean it's not an illness but the natural way of life for all humans, around 10% of all people have had some kind of voice hearing experience maybe even more who never come forward and speak about it.

I think because of the way we get badly treated the other 90% are happy to hide in the background of our minds and just give us impulses and ideas that we think are entirely our own.

These days you're likely to be medicated for hearing voices, it helps reduce the volume of my voice and relieved the stress it was causing me but my voice doesn't stop complaining about it so I guess it must be a pretty bad experience for them, at worst you'll get locked up on a ward like I did, thankfully I was let out after just 9 days but still it wasn't the greatest experience, historically our kind were killed for hearing voices (see Socrates and Joan of Arc), we got accused of witchcraft and being in league with the Devil or called heretics and so forth.

Turtle1980

Turtle1980

Yes I was in a psych ward twice within 6 months. I was also having visual hallucinations of red dots on me and following me at night like I was a target. I'm on invega it seems to help, I'm totally in fear of silence and relapse

Turtle1980

Turtle1980

I think the word I'm looking to say is more cursed not possession

John Lamb

John Lamb

So I once went into a fortune teller place to look around the lady went to shake my hand and withdrew quickly never saying why then the voices started, I'm very worried about it. Could this be real
Was she a tarot card or glass ball user.

John Lamb

John Lamb

I personally wouldn’t go near a fortune teller, won’t even read horoscopes as benign as they appear on the surface.

Turtle1980

Turtle1980

I thought it was a hippie store didn't intentionally go to her lol. A few months later I started having hallucinations maybe she sensed it lol. Trying to make light of the odd coincidence