• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Positive story of overcoming my severe brain fog and anxiety issues

D

danielg123

Hello all,

I decided to join this forum to share my positive story of how I have recently overcome significant brain fog, which in turn brought with it severe anxiety. Hopefully this story can help at least one person who may find comfort in continuing to search for a solution to their own problems, or may even have the same symptoms and problem as myself.

Over the past 4-5 years I increasingly noticed that I would frequently feel like I was walking around in space / a parallel universe, where everyday objects almost didn't look real and I would have major difficulties retaining information, comprehending my thoughts into speech and thinking clearly. This would ebb and flow to different levels, but aside from a few random short moments I hadn't felt focused and clear of mind for many many years. I got to the stage where I wouldn't bother reading a book as i would never retain any of the information. Previously I was a relatively confident as an individual and would have no problem standing up and presenting in front of a group of people in work. However I have had a number of relatively embarrassing moments more recently where I have had severe brain fog and been tasked with a high pressure presentation situation, one of which led to me having a mild panic attack in front of my boss in work.

This would all have a knock on effect of my general mood and I was often quite short tempered with my wife, which was even more unfortunate as we had our first child 2 years ago. Often when I was having my worse episodes I would have increasingly dark thoughts, with a small number of occasions these venturing on suicidal. I continually questioned why I felt like this and would I ever feel normal again, often getting angry and depressed about my mood.

I began to question anything in my life that had changed 4-5 years ago searching for the source of the problem. Clutching at straws these ideas ranged across some ridiculous thoughts from it being something in our new house (we bought 5 years ago), drinking too much fizzy water (!), drinking too much alcohol, lack of vitamin B, me stopping playing sport and lacking the mental stimulation, general stress from work, eating too much salt etc etc. I had numerous blood tests from the doctors which didn't show anything and I began to assume that it was a mental condition and that I would have to get appropriate help on this front. Also tried a diabetes test, that came back negative.

I had however noticed that my brain fog would often flare up immediately when I had certain types of food and drink. For example sometimes within literally moments of sipping a beer a big cloud would descend over my mood and the world would seem very dark again. Again I would have similar episodes after eating breads and other heavy carbs. Naturally I took a food intolerance test, expecting and hoping (for a solution) to see that I was gluten intolerant or a celiac but these both came back as negative.

Becoming increasingly desperate I decided to go and see a food nutritionist in February, despite me being relatively dismissive of the profession if i'm honest (don't know why) and wondering what advice they could give me which would ever be of help. Within the first meeting I had with the nutritionist and after going through dozens of questions, she suggested something that I had never come across before "Candida" - which is effectively an overgrowth of certain bacteria in your gut. This can be a result of numerous different reasons but one of which is having a diet particularly high in sugar, alcohol, "bad" carbs and processed meat, which is pretty much summed up my diet over the last few years living off convenience food in my office job. Brain fog and mental confusion, all of the symptoms I had suffered, was also listed as one of the main signs of Candida.

I mentioned this Candida idea to my wife, who had fortunately recently read about it in one of the many diet books that she owns. We decided to try out this Harcombe diet, which cuts out all of the foods mentioned above. I was fully expecting that this would've just proved to be just another failed experiment of mine which wouldn't get to the root cause of the problem but within 4-5 days I was genuinely feeling like a completely different person. My energy levels had risen, my mood had improved and the brain fog was finally clearing. There were a couple of difficult moments in the early days where my symptoms would get worse (apparently this is a sign of the candida dying off), but fortunately I had read up on it and knew what to expect

Five months on after stumbling across this idea of Candida, I can honestly say my life has turned around significantly. I have more mental clarity and higher energy levels than I can ever remember, and I can say I am a good husband and father for the first time in a long time! I think Candida will be with my to some extent for life, I have the odd day off where I eat what I want and feel absolutely awful the next day. But this quickly clears up when I return to eating the right things for my body.

Good luck to everyone else searching for the answers which will help them in their journey.

All the best.

LizBo

LizBo

Hello all,

I decided to join this forum to share my positive story of how I have recently overcome significant brain fog, which in turn brought with it severe anxiety. Hopefully this story can help at least one person who may find comfort in continuing to search for a solution to their own problems, or may even have the same symptoms and problem as myself.

Over the past 4-5 years I increasingly noticed that I would frequently feel like I was walking around in space / a parallel universe, where everyday objects almost didn't look real and I would have major difficulties retaining information, comprehending my thoughts into speech and thinking clearly. This would ebb and flow to different levels, but aside from a few random short moments I hadn't felt focused and clear of mind for many many years. I got to the stage where I wouldn't bother reading a book as i would never retain any of the information. Previously I was a relatively confident as an individual and would have no problem standing up and presenting in front of a group of people in work. However I have had a number of relatively embarrassing moments more recently where I have had severe brain fog and been tasked with a high pressure presentation situation, one of which led to me having a mild panic attack in front of my boss in work.

This would all have a knock on effect of my general mood and I was often quite short tempered with my wife, which was even more unfortunate as we had our first child 2 years ago. Often when I was having my worse episodes I would have increasingly dark thoughts, with a small number of occasions these venturing on suicidal. I continually questioned why I felt like this and would I ever feel normal again, often getting angry and depressed about my mood.

I began to question anything in my life that had changed 4-5 years ago searching for the source of the problem. Clutching at straws these ideas ranged across some ridiculous thoughts from it being something in our new house (we bought 5 years ago), drinking too much fizzy water (!), drinking too much alcohol, lack of vitamin B, me stopping playing sport and lacking the mental stimulation, general stress from work, eating too much salt etc etc. I had numerous blood tests from the doctors which didn't show anything and I began to assume that it was a mental condition and that I would have to get appropriate help on this front. Also tried a diabetes test, that came back negative.

I had however noticed that my brain fog would often flare up immediately when I had certain types of food and drink. For example sometimes within literally moments of sipping a beer a big cloud would descend over my mood and the world would seem very dark again. Again I would have similar episodes after eating breads and other heavy carbs. Naturally I took a food intolerance test, expecting and hoping (for a solution) to see that I was gluten intolerant or a celiac but these both came back as negative.

Becoming increasingly desperate I decided to go and see a food nutritionist in February, despite me being relatively dismissive of the profession if i'm honest (don't know why) and wondering what advice they could give me which would ever be of help. Within the first meeting I had with the nutritionist and after going through dozens of questions, she suggested something that I had never come across before "Candida" - which is effectively an overgrowth of certain bacteria in your gut. This can be a result of numerous different reasons but one of which is having a diet particularly high in sugar, alcohol, "bad" carbs and processed meat, which is pretty much summed up my diet over the last few years living off convenience food in my office job. Brain fog and mental confusion, all of the symptoms I had suffered, was also listed as one of the main signs of Candida.

I mentioned this Candida idea to my wife, who had fortunately recently read about it in one of the many diet books that she owns. We decided to try out this Harcombe diet, which cuts out all of the foods mentioned above. I was fully expecting that this would've just proved to be just another failed experiment of mine which wouldn't get to the root cause of the problem but within 4-5 days I was genuinely feeling like a completely different person. My energy levels had risen, my mood had improved and the brain fog was finally clearing. There were a couple of difficult moments in the early days where my symptoms would get worse (apparently this is a sign of the candida dying off), but fortunately I had read up on it and knew what to expect

Five months on after stumbling across this idea of Candida, I can honestly say my life has turned around significantly. I have more mental clarity and higher energy levels than I can ever remember, and I can say I am a good husband and father for the first time in a long time! I think Candida will be with my to some extent for life, I have the odd day off where I eat what I want and feel absolutely awful the next day. But this quickly clears up when I return to eating the right things for my body.

Good luck to everyone else searching for the answers which will help them in their journey.

All the best.
Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum!

Your story is a great example of 'self-help' focus/research which unfortunately isn't a topic of conversation with psychiatrists and psychologists.

In some scientific fields the gut is now seen as a direct link to the brain and is even called the 'other' brain. Gut health is taken much more seriously that it has been, especially gut bacteria and acid/alkaline levels.

Your experience is really motivating and I'm grateful you had the idea to share it with us. Thank you very much...👍😃