• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Positive Spin on MH?

M

MissRule

A friend of mine wrote the following in response to an email about the discovery that another friend of mine had recently been ill. Let me know if it finds any resonance with anyone.

Remember that experience of mental illness or knowledge about someone with it does not have to be "dire" or a "nasty shock". It is more prejudice or discrimination per se that can make the experience of mental illness negative. Anyone can find themselves broken by adversity in life. In many ways my own experience of mental illness has been liberating. It has deepened me and made me a more compassionate and aware person. I thank God too for my "altered states" because they have been a gateway to my spiritual and creative development. And I have got to meet the most interesting and courageous people.

P

Prasada

London, south Wales, Bristol, Oxford, East Anglia
A friend of mine wrote the following in response to an email about the discovery that another friend of mine had recently been ill. Let me know if it finds any resonance with anyone.

Remember that experience of mental illness or knowledge about someone with it does not have to be "dire" or a "nasty shock". It is more prejudice or discrimination per se that can make the experience of mental illness negative. Anyone can find themselves broken by adversity in life. In many ways my own experience of mental illness has been liberating. It has deepened me and made me a more compassionate and aware person. I thank God too for my "altered states" because they have been a gateway to my spiritual and creative development. And I have got to meet the most interesting and courageous people.
Interesting, although most people might think that the price of the enlightenment was a bit high.

A

Apotheosis

Largely I would agree - even in the most devastating forms of mental illness. But few see these things in such terms - & at the end of the day it's perspectives. There are many different angles to perceive these things.