• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Positive Mental Health Group

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
The Positive Mental Health Group (PMHG) is part of BSMHT and its purpose is to promote Positive Mental Health and combat stigma. I should say straight away that the question of exactly what is meant by Positive Mental Health is not quite clear :) - and as it is probably unanswerable, is best left on one side as a philosophical conundrum! More important is what the PMHG actually does. And I would say that as a source of information and link to other groups and organisations alone, it is probably the most important group in Birmingham.

At the centre of its activities are monthly open meetings, held on the last Thursday of the month, at 2.30, usually at the BVSC (Birmingham Volunteer Service Council) 138 Digbeth (this is at the town end of Digbeth on the opposite side to St Martins - the building has a glass front). A typical meeting will have reports on the various activities of the PMHG, one or two speakers on some project/initiative/development in the Mental Health world, a brainstorming session relating to future events, and a chance for general comment and reports.

Among the activities of the PMHG some of the most important are...
1.) organising participation at events and parades to promote Mental Health awareness (there will a participation at this Sunday's St Patrick's Day parade for instance).
2.) organising the World Mental Health Day event.
3.) publishing the magazine Label Free.
4.) producing and distributing the bi-monthly calendar of events.
5.) organising various social events.

Now it is vital to stress that attending the meetings does not mean that you are expected to get involved in any or all of these things :). You can just come to the meetings, or on the other hand you can not come to the meetings but get involved in some of these activities. That's a matter of personal choice.

From my own perspective, for instance, I am not really interested in social events and would find handing out leaflets at public events way too much for me. But I have got involved in the production of the latest issue of Label Free.

And getting the bi-monthly calendar of events is essential if you want to keep in touch with what is going on in Birmingham. So you should be on the mailing list.

I also find the meetings themselves useful, informative and sometimes entertaining. BUT. But I found the first couple of ones I attended intimidating. There are quite a lot of people there in one or another professional capacity and they tend to introduce themselves using jargon. It is possible to feel a little excluded at first.

So I would suggest that if anyone is thinking of going for the first time but feels that they have a confidence problem (as I had) then I would be quite happy to meet up outside BVSC at say 2.20 ; if anyone feels this would be useful let me know through this thread.

In fact the next meeting - on 27th March - will not be a typical one as it is the AGM. I have not been to one of these before but understand that balancing usual AGM type stuff (review of the year, election of Executive Committee) will be a piece of theatre which should be entertaining.

So just to try and sum up. The PMHG is probably your first port of call for getting involved in Mental Health Issues in Birmingham. Even if you do nothing else getting on the mailing list is well worth it. And the next meeting is at 2.30 on Thursday 27th March at BVSC in Digbeth. As previously suggested if you would like to attend but find the prospect daunting I would be happy to meet outside at around 2.20 if that would help.

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
PHMG website

What I forgot to add was a link to the PMHG website - so here it is :) ....

http://www.bsmht.nhs.uk/usersandcarers/pmhg/pmhg.htm

The site contains a much more comprehensive view of the work of the PMHG than I have given and, if you follow the links, you can get the dates of all the meetings, read some issues of Label Free and also get to see the Buzz Guide.

Oh yes I forgot to mention the Buzz Guide in my first post!!:redface:

The Buzz Guide is a list of contact numbers for every organisation in Birmingham which has anything to do with Mental Health and many other useful numbers as well. It has been updated recently and is an essential publication.

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
April Meeting

The April meeting of the PMHG will be tomorrow (sorry for late notice but I have had a very bad few days) Thursday 24th April 2.30 at BVSC, Digbeth.

More details of location are in the first post.

Again if anyone wants to meet up just before the meeting to have someone to go in with then just send me a private message.

Nick.