• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Positive Affirmations

valleygirl

valleygirl

My therapist wants me to come up with about 20 positive affirmations, but I'm finding it really hard. I've been looking on the Internet for ideas but they are extremely stupid, and if I told myself the ones I saw on the Internet I'd be lying to myself and feel like a fraud.

So far what I've come up with are:

1) I am a lover of beauty
2) I care deeply about children
3) I care about how children's experiences shape their lives

I can't say that I love my body, because I hate how fat I am. I can't say that I love myself, because that just feels way too weird.

Does anyone else have any ideas, anything positive you tell yourself that doesn't sound too cheesy?

valleygirl

valleygirl

Trying to list positive things about myself is really hard, because I hate myself. I mean duh. Who loves themselves but then self harms for the emotional release and because they think they deserve to be hurt? When you've spent months, years, even, thinking about wanting to be dead and all the different ways you could accomplish that, it's really hard to think of things about yourself hat are positive. Doing this is bringing me really close to tears.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
How about 'I can express my thoughts well in writing' (I think you have a very clear writing style that's easy to read). Or 'I am brave enough to be honest about how I feel, and to look at myself honestly'. For me, those two things come across from what you've just written. I'm sorry it's so hard and upsetting :hug: Twenty's a lot to do in one go, could you do five a day or something to make it easier?

valleygirl

valleygirl

Thank you, AliceinWonderland!:hug: I hadn't thought of those. My therapist said we could work on it together, but I wanted to get started on my own so it wouldn't take up so much of our session because there are so many other things I wanted to talk about with her too.

chazxxx

chazxxx

Yeah definately you explain yourself well. Very eloquent. Inteligent. And im also reminded of what i said to you before, going back to college and taking on the extra stresses that entails, i think shows your strength, determination and your ambition to succeed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Depression Forum 4