• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Poppy Shakespeare

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

Anyone out there ever read the book or seen the film adaptation?

I relate to a lot of the story and think there definitely is some kind of hierarchy of people with MH issues. Being a "BPD" guess I am some kind of pond-life, ie. what the bloody hell does Borderline mean anyway, not quite, bordering on what?!

Has anyone else felt the same?

Would like to hear your thoughts or experiences?

Keep safe
Claire

A

Apotheosis

I saw the TV adaptation - thought that it was very good. Clever way things were portrayed.

I feel the same - psychiatry is largely a made up nonsense; & it's primary function is as a social control. Those who do not conform to societal norms, or whom fall outside of the socially accepted measure of consensus pseudo sanity - are put into tight little social boxes - labelled - controlled - drugged - made easy to manage & to control. I don't see where any genuine therapeutic healing comes into it. & as a poster recently remarked - if you want to find peace of mind, happiness, contentment, fulfilment, & recovery - you ain't gonna find it with Bio-medical psychiatry, & would do well to stay as far away from it as possible. Ever heard 'Cure' being talked about in relation to Mental Health issues?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p8i0NQsb3os&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p8i0NQsb3os&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

Love your candour

Dear Apotheosis (hope I got that spelling correct),

I totally understand where you are coming from that MH professionals like to lable us and once pigeon-holed we have to wait for ages until someone sees us who might not be relevant. I promise I have been there too.

Why I mentioned Poppy Shakespeare is that I do think there is a hierarchy within patients who have MH.

I can only suppose that when that is all you have to think about and focus on, the natural competitive streak comes out and therefore the most deranged and diagnosed as dangerous become the top of the pile.

Please if there's anyone out there who can contradict, please do so!

I am now too old to keep running away from hospitals when I am made to go there. The thought of the "Poppy Shakespeare" experience, now makes me wonder whether I would prefer to go to prison.

Any thoughts would be really nice.

Claire x

A

Apotheosis

Why I mentioned Poppy Shakespeare is that I do think there is a hierarchy within patients who have MH.
People are people. I have found that there is as much bigotry, stigma, discrimination, ignorance & fear from people that have MH issues as there is in the general population; if not more so sometimes. Having said that; suffering often makes us more compassionate, & emphatic with others, & some of the kindest, most intelligent & decent people I have known have been those with a MH condition. I personally much prefer the company of those that have/have had MH conditions.

The thought of the "Poppy Shakespeare" experience, now makes me wonder whether I would prefer to go to prison.
In reality - prisons are far better than psychiatric hospitals.

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

Oh you are such Poppy Shakespeare material - bless you!

Have you always had that anger or is that part of your "condition"

A

Apotheosis

Have you always had that anger or is that part of your "condition"
The human condition?

How perceptive of you, seriously.

Anger has been a bit of an issue, it is something I have had to look at, it is not as much an issue now as it was. It has played a part in things, But I don't know how much it has been a part of the MH condition as such.

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8OipmKFDeM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8OipmKFDeM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

K

KevinfromSydney

BPD - Borderline Personality Disorder or Bi-Polar Disorder?

Could someone please clarifty the above question please? They both could use 'BPD". I don't want to confuse people when I say that I have 'BPD" - Bi-Polar Disorder when they might think that I have Borderline Personality Disorder.

A

Apotheosis

Could someone please clarifty the above question please? They both could use 'BPD". I don't want to confuse people when I say that I have 'BPD" - Bi-Polar Disorder when they might think that I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
It confuses me too. :confused:

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

Apologies to Bi-Polar Sufferers ....

Obviously it is very confusing and/or annoying to people that I have labelled myself as "Scared with BPD" - I am referring to Borderline Personality Disorder, not sure how, but maybe I should change my ID?

Gail

Gail

i have a duel dx of bp and blpd and i find that people take the bp more serouse then the blpd one