• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

poor mental health service!

S

SisterInNeed

Hi
Im new to this forum and just needed to talk!
I dont really no what else to do to be honest. Ill start from the beginning!

Ok my bro was diagnosed with schizophrenia 7 yrs ago. He was in hospital for 6 months and was put on meds. He came home and found he could not live with us so asked to get a flat(was with us for 4 yrs). He got his flat 3 yrs ago and started to save money, got a gf and was getting so well again!

He was then told that his team were dicharging him as he was doing so well. He then split from gf and stopped taking meds (tablet form). They didnt rush him in and he was in a right state! violent etc! They put him on injection which has completely sent him over the edge! He doesnt wash, clean his flat, talks in a filthy manner etc. Hes so depressed and hes now been like this for 2 yrs!

The team who he is with now 'assertive outreach' are crap! They just come out to inject him and thats it! we are fighting to get meds changed and my poor brother doesnt no what to do!
I have just found out today that he has smashed up his TV and large mirror. we have to act like nothing is wrong. He laughs cuz of the voices in his head but says they arnt there! (THEY ARE!!)

I have just come from my mums house and my brother went upstairs, i heard him making himself sick (which hes done the past 2 yrs)

I cant take it anymore.....the mental health team are failing us and we dont no who to tell anymore!!!!

if anyone nos what to do PLEASE help me! help my brother,
all we want is for him to get better......will it ever happen???

thanks xxx

PS about 8months ago he also went round to his old school mates house. slit his tyres and put brick through window! he had to pay for damages! i had to have him arrested as he was carrying a knife around .... danger to self and others???? STILL didnt go to hospital!!!!!!

Z

zamanmsnuk

Founding Member
hi
try your local mental health hospital and contact the pals department.they help people with quiries like yours and put you in the right direction

Z

zena

oh thats a very hard one, assertive outreach i was under for a long time and i was in the Lambeth area of London, my experience and it may be just my experience was that unless you were screaming and shouting you didnt really get the help and could be put on the backburner whilst still under their watchfull eye, re seeing a doc every month sometimes home visits CPN etc.
The thing is, i know you love your brother, but his care under them remains private, unless you can persuade him for you to be involved ie his permission and even then im not sure. Your brothers medical care by law they are not allowed to share with you, any more than your gp would disclose anything to anyone family or not who wished to know even if for your best interests .
Could you not , i know you love him and are very worried, go with him to the next appointment, and also consider getting your brother an advocate. if i had more knowledge im sure i could help more. all the best X:)

S

SisterInNeed

hes now turned to threatening my nana and grandad. he told my mum he will smash her face and break her nose!
we have now had to get our MP involved because he STILL isnt a treat to others! my grandad has cnacer and my brother told him he can go die!!!!! what the f***

im hoping it gets sorted! the assertive outreach no all of this and my brothers behavior!

GRRRRR

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
hes now turned to threatening my nana and grandad. he told my mum he will smash her face and break her nose!
we have now had to get our MP involved because he STILL isnt a treat to others! my grandad has cnacer and my brother told him he can go die!!!!! what the f***

im hoping it gets sorted! the assertive outreach no all of this and my brothers behavior!

GRRRRR
that was probably becuase you got him arrested.

S

SisterInNeed

if i didnt get him arrested he could of hurt someone. i didnt want my brother going around with the knife! i didnt think he would of done what he did anyway! i did the right thing and wouldnt of changed it!!!!!!!!!! the point is he is ill and isnt getting the right care......he has been relapsing for 2 years!!!

im not getting anywhere on here....you dont seem to understand???

not coming on here again...dont get the support here either!
thanks

A

Apotheosis

if i didnt get him arrested he could of hurt someone. i didnt want my brother going around with the knife! i didnt think he would of done what he did anyway! i did the right thing and wouldnt of changed it!!!!!!!!!! the point is he is ill and isnt getting the right care......he has been relapsing for 2 years!!!

im not getting anywhere on here....you dont seem to understand???

not coming on here again...dont get the support here either!
thanks
There are people who understand. I have experienced things from your Brothers side. I have been arrested numerous times, & sectioned a few times in the past too. It is very hard from the point of view of carer as well as sufferer. I try to understand things from their perspective too. The truth is that it is hard all round. The fact remains - that overall, in this country; if your are unfortunate to suffer with mental illness - then the likelihood is; that you will not get the support you need, or the best therapeutic help. Much of the burden does fall on family.

R

runnabean

angry at lack of help

hi i'm a newbie on here was wondering if anyone has any advice, been with my partner for 5 years am madly in love she's the sweetest kindest most beautiful person ive ever met.
she's been suffering in silence for many years and has only last year been diagnosed with bipolar disorder which as im sure you'll understand is not the easiest thing in the world to live with (its tough for me but a living hell for her).
fortunately she's not been hospitalised yet though it has been talked about, my problem is the local mental health people are hanging her out to dry and its so frustrating you see she happens to work in the local psych ward as a nurse (she's currently on long term sick) and doesnt want to be treated in the same place she works.
the next town is only 20 minutes away but their crisis team have said that they wont take her as a patient because its too far so if she does have a major episode she'll have to be treated by her own colleagues with patients she's supposed to treat which she feels will create a personal conflict that makes her job impossible and she happens to love her job.
its tearing her up inside and its killing me to see her in so much pain im so frustrated and dont know how to help her i feel like i could scream.

A

Apotheosis

Hi Runnabean,

That does sound unusual. It happens that nurses, & doctors can get sick themselves, & I always thought that it was policy that they be treated outside of the area in which they work. A nurse at the hospital I stayed in became ill, & she went to a hospital in a totally different area. I am not sure who you would speak to, to get a more balanced view & to get something done.

Maybe speak with citizens advice?

R

runnabean

hi apotheosis
thanks for the reply i'll check out the citizens advice and let you know what they say, but just knowing someone out there listens and cares is a help so thank you again.
p.s my partner loves cats and she'd love your enchanted wood.

Z

zamanmsnuk

Founding Member
hi
why dont you try rethink or mind. They might be able to advise you
good luck
mohammed

R

runnabean

just to say thanks for listening and let you know theres been some good news my partner spoke to her manager last week and got a bit upset about the whole situation so her manager said she'd make some more enquiries and she discovered that my partners care co-ordinator hadn't even mentioned to the next towns mental health unit that she was a staff member which is why they'd refused to take her, her manager has read the riot act about this and what do you know the transfer is happening over next couple of weeks its just a matter of sorting out the administration.
it feels like a weight has been lifted off our shoulders and my partner is feeling a lot more positive about the future but i still feel angry that her care co-ordinator missed off such a vital piece of info its caused no end of unnecessary pain and heartache for my partner but at least we can look forward now
thanks again for listening and i'll keep you posted
:woohoo: