• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Please tell me what the voices say to you. I am curious. Is it friendly or nasty?

GTP

GTP

Are you sure they’re part of your personality? It could be an externalization of self in an unhealthy way
It's just my guess. I do not want to color anyone's opinion in any way.
The fact is that the ego can split and function autonomously in parts. There's still a lot of debate including the post "Are the voices part of ourselves or not?". The opinions are distributed quite even between yes and no.

Kotter

Kotter

i often hear a narration as to what i'm doing.

for example... "he's making coffee." or "he's taking a walk." or "he's calling his brother."

the "volume" has gone down with time.

D

ddjaz0

Yep I’ve read that. I think conclusively the self is the person or entity that perceives the voice. Internalizing the stuff you hear can be unhealthy in my view. To not internalize or fight against is the primary goal, so it’s all good, not my responsibility, etc. try to take away ego attachment from emotional/mental states. So for instance, if I feel unwell emotionally, that isn’t good or bad , etc. I don’t have agency over my emotional reactions or mental states, therefore I do not need to control them .

D

ddjaz0

Yeah I have that on some level, the narration. I find it’s all good as long as I am not unhappy with anything I am doing or dissatisfied, etc.
was it annoying ?

P

Purpleplum

Voices are parts of your personality splitting. They are a part of your subconscious.

M

ms_lister

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I hear a range of non-ordinary audio perceptions, but mostly voices. They are from a myriad of beings, both incarnate and discarnate, and extraterrestrial, and higher dimensional. The messages depend the group or individual I hear. It also depends on where I am geographically located at times, although I have heard people from thousands of miles away. I also experience echos from things said to me, or things I have said or thought. Getting stuck in a negative group or with negative broadcaster, can really suck. But learned techniques to get out of their range and sometimes involve others in breaking those negative entities connection to me. It's best to be freinds with and social relations with people that do not pathologize the perceptions, but rather can be sympathetic, or better yet have some of the perceptions themselves. Many people are brain washed and programmed by materialism, and closed skeptics. Best not to waste to much time with them, unfortunately many of them are meat heads and will lable, gaslight, or oppress those with the perceptions.

M

ms_lister

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Voices are parts of your personality splitting. They are a part of your subconscious.
That maybe what you were told or your explation for what is going on with You. That is absolutely not what I and others I know experience.

D

ddjaz0

Yeah I agree any kind of control over thought or argument can be bad/compulsive/non meaningful. This is this, that is that, etc. or attachment, ie talking about sex or attainment or what you have is usually a nasty module. Arrogance and close mindedness, stubbornness, lying, etc. but most of these people have no opportunity to escape being like that. Only moral character, humility and non intervention (renouncing control) can get them out.
It’s a strange reality in a way. The spirituality of the non-spiritual. Very common. It is common to think that one has to actively chose a spiritual knowledge, but I believe otherwise ... to not do so is ignorance, and that is not the default. People are bought by stuff they buy into, but they need others to buy in also, that makes it false/dangerous .

M

ms_lister

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Only moral character, humility and non intervention (renouncing control) can get them out.
I absolutely disagree from experience, with no disrespect. I find an ego and sometimes wrestling control from others (incarnated or discarnate) incredibly important if one wants to maintain a physical presence in the world. I did not come here to renounce my life or my will, I came here to be in this world, otherwise, I would just stayed inbetween lives. I need to stay here and learn lessons from the middle world, that purpose of it being and my being here. No one should tell me to renounce anything or my will, as long as my intent is not to harm other beings UNLESS they are actively harming me or others. I am not a Buddhist, I don't think the the literature or religions resprent the man or the his mission, which was and is to reduce suffering. Renunciation can cause suffering and create callusness in those who practice it, which is the polar opposite of reducing suffering and compassion.

D

ddjaz0

I meant if a corrupted being wants to be relieved of his corruption/attachment he can choose to renounce control or self. The purpose is renouncing self is to attain a higher control, external to personal self. Non - intervention is a means to retain energy. Buddhism is really interesting in its views on sense-state seeking, attachment. If I need for things to go my way rather than then that can cause attachment.

M

ms_lister

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I meant if a corrupted being wants to be relieved of his corruption/attachment he can choose to renounce control or self. The purpose is renouncing self is to attain a higher control, external to personal self. Non - intervention is a means to retain energy. Buddhism is really interesting in its views on sense-state seeking, attachment. If I need for things to go my way rather than then that can cause attachment.
Okay Brave. How about spending a few evenings, feeling instead detachment. Feel what its like to be on the other side of disatacment. I can tell you, I should have clung like my life depended on it to my first deep love and girlfriend. I detached, because she wanted a house in mission viejo and honda accord and her mother said I could never give it to her. Detachment is the foundation of greed. I was greedy, she just wanted what she already had. I wanted her to love me, more than what the level of comfort her parents worked hard to give her, in effect. Detachment is not the middle way. Compassion is. Look at that word COM PASSION. That means Shared Desire. If I Had Compassion, I would Told Her, Whatever You Want or Need, I will work hard to give you. What it laid bare, was absense of love in my heart, and my desperate selfishness.

M

ms_lister

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The idea that this world is some home how less than or samsara, blocks how easy it is for us to be mindless, emotionless, and able to unattached to anything other than our desire for freedom from suffering. There is a difference between freedom and liberty. Liberty is acheived with work, freedom is legislated or given by decree, and cheaply by those who have illegitimate authority, at a great cost.

D

ddjaz0

I don’t mean detachment like a emotional asceticism . That sounds more like anhedonia. I mean like I am stuck in my ways, how I see things. Blocked by pride or belief. Care about things that are external, not like I care about my family etc. more like I define myself by something external. So for instance if I have a great job and I define myself in that way, am I more or less? But anyway these conversations can languish into a theoretical mess. But you dont have to be a Buddhist to understand what they mean. But in any case that can become perverse in a way, so people saying that money cannot buy happiness, say that sometimes out of spite, and like to believe that all rich people are miserable. I do not need success to be happy, does not means successful people aren’t happy. If you are happy with or without success, then do you still desire success? And if not, isn’t that success about unhappiness? It’s a weird concept in our society because we are hyper competetive and achievement focused, but foundationally is about non-violence. If I need my success to feel worthy, do I value people who are not successful? But yeah I am just now getting into some mental debate about this. Somebody saying I deserve to feel good about what I have, etc. in my head it’s all intellectual. So am I a human, or an engineer, etc. anyway a detachment is more like the difference between drinking and alcoholism. You appreciate things more if they do not define you

M

ms_lister

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I often hear voices that say, "I'm sorry, we are going to have to let you go." or "I have my children from another sperm donor to think about" or "I'm sorry, you are a schizophrenic and you will have to consume chemicals for the rest of your LIFE".

M

ms_lister

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The other voice I hear is, "Did you have anything to drink tonight?"