Please I ask help for a person I love that hearing voices

L

Lotuswhiteflower

Hello to all. This is my first time in this forum. I write here because I have a sister who is sick: she hears the voices but does not accept that these voices come from herself, these voices come from her to express a trauma, an uneasiness, probably. She does not work and her days are so heavy! She fights all day, every day, with her voices and has no good life! A doctor follows her by giving her medicine but she does not improve. I'm so worried! A few months ago I tried to go with her to a doctor who works with voices listening to people in a group ... but she does not want to continue and she does not want to go back there! I think she would do well because meeting other people who live what she lives and sharing her experience could help her! What do you think about it? How could I convince her to participate in self-help groups? I love her. Seeing her suffer breaks my heart and makes me feel helpless. I hope someone can give me advice or tell me about his similar experience. Thank you.

Last edited:
I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

:welcome: to the forum. I am so sorry about your sister. Maybe see if her doctor can get her on a different medication? Good luck. :hug:

L

Lotuswhiteflower

:welcome: to the forum. I am so sorry about your sister. Maybe see if her doctor can get her on a different medication? Good luck. :hug:
Thank you for response. She has modificated her medications more times..the last changement of medicines by her doctor it was made two days ago...but she's still suffering! She's screams and does not have a moment of normality. How could I convince her to attend self-help groups? She refuses all help! Thank you all. Me and my family around her are so worried and scared..

Cazcat

Cazcat

It's incredibly hard to see our loved ones go through these difficult experiences, I understand that you want to help and it must be frustrating that your sister doesn't want to attend the group sessions. Has she told you what she didn't like about the group that she attended? I wonder if the group is just not the right thing for her right now whilst things are so bad and she is so distressed. It can take a while for the Drs to find the right medication, I hope that this new medication proves more helpful for her. I would take the pressure of attending the group off at the moment and let her find her own way of coping. I think my husband would hate any kind of group therapy and there is no way he would have gone when he was acutely unwell as he didn't have insight into the fact that he was unwell. I hope things improve for your sister soon.

L

Lotuswhiteflower

I wish I knew. Just be consistent with it I guess? Even though I know you are. I am so sorry. :hug:
Thank you for your help:hug:... She's constant to take medicines ... but she would need to see people, do activities tio rebuild her life! But she doesn't really want to do this..she says she doesn't have the strength to do anything, and the consequence is that she remains firm in her psychosis ...:low:

L

Lotuswhiteflower

It's incredibly hard to see our loved ones go through these difficult experiences, I understand that you want to help and it must be frustrating that your sister doesn't want to attend the group sessions. Has she told you what she didn't like about the group that she attended? I wonder if the group is just not the right thing for her right now whilst things are so bad and she is so distressed. It can take a while for the Drs to find the right medication, I hope that this new medication proves more helpful for her. I would take the pressure of attending the group off at the moment and let her find her own way of coping. I think my husband would hate any kind of group therapy and there is no way he would have gone when he was acutely unwell as he didn't have insight into the fact that he was unwell. I hope things improve for your sister soon.
Thanks Cazcat ...:hug:
it makes me feel better to be close to people who share the same paths.
I don't know your vicissitude, but I understand that your husband has similar suffering? I'm so sorry, for him and for you ... it's really hard!
My sister has never even attended a group, she only made a cognitive meeting with the facilitator ... but she wanted to get away immediately saying that people who attend groups would not understand, because (according to her) these people have psychiatric problems while she says she captures entities or elves, and she thinks it's a radically different thing (or she opposise resistence).
I tried to explain that even talking to different people can help, but she doesn't recognize her discomfort as "psychiatric", but she feels the victim of a paranormal attack ...:sorry:

Cazcat

Cazcat

From what you say at the moment your sister doesn't realise that she is unwell. My (non professional) feeling is that whilst she is still so unwell she will struggle to engage with a group therapy (or any therapy) and would not get a huge benefit from it. With my husband it took a few months for the medications to reduce his psychosis to a point that he could start to explore the fact that his beliefs were not reality and to understand that he was unwell. We are now into his 5th year of treatment and he is developing much better insight and is able to recognise how unwell he has been at times. It has been a slow and gradual process getting to this point. It will take time for your sister to recover too. I think it normally takes my husband 2-3 years to recover from a psychotic crisis.

L

Lotuswhiteflower

Yes, you understood very well. I also hope that the therapy that my sister is following will bring its benefits. And I hope that soon she decides to try to return to normal activities ...
How did you stay next to your husband when he was sick? It must not have been easy even for you! This is how it is for me and my parents.
Where did you find the necessary help?