• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

PLEASE HELP :(

R

Riri1369

Hey, I have been really struggling with my mental health for a while now and it feels like no one will take me seriously because I’m only 18. I have struggled with self harm for years now but in the past few months it’s got more severe and usually ends up needing hospital treatment. I try not to but the changes in my mood are getting harder to deal with. I’m constantly worried I’ll get upset angry or even “too happy”. Sometimes I can be elated and extremely happy and energetic but I can also be wreckless and impulsive when I feel like this. When I’m upset or anxious I sometimes dissociate and don’t feel real I just feel light and distant and sounds are muffled. When I’m angry I can become extremely reckless and self destructive which has led me into getting in trouble with the police. I get suicidal thoughts every so often. All my thoughts just race around sometimes and I can’t concentrate. I’m so scared people are going to leave me to fend for myself and this scares me so much. Sometimes I just shut myself away to avoid getting hurt. I’m so paranoid at times about what others think of me and that people think I’m faking my struggles and they get annoyed I just want stability. I’m so sick of the doctors and people telling me it’s just behavioural you could stop if you tried it’s your choice to behave like this. I know I’m part to blame but I really am trying it makes me scared to open up now because I know they won’t take my issues seriously :(. I have asked for a full mental health assessment and the doctor in the police station who thought I had personality disorder traits after police found me in the middle of the road has asked for one but the request was denied by GP and mental health team

I have used alcohol to cope in the past and have a family history of substance abuse anxiety depression and bipolar

Don’t know if I posted in the right forum but any help on some of these issues would be helpful, thanks

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey, I have been really struggling with my mental health for a while now and it feels like no one will take me seriously because I’m only 18. I have struggled with self harm for years now but in the past few months it’s got more severe and usually ends up needing hospital treatment. I try not to but the changes in my mood are getting harder to deal with. I’m constantly worried I’ll get upset angry or even “too happy”. Sometimes I can be elated and extremely happy and energetic but I can also be wreckless and impulsive when I feel like this. When I’m upset or anxious I sometimes dissociate and don’t feel real I just feel light and distant and sounds are muffled. When I’m angry I can become extremely reckless and self destructive which has led me into getting in trouble with the police. I get suicidal thoughts every so often. All my thoughts just race around sometimes and I can’t concentrate. I’m so scared people are going to leave me to fend for myself and this scares me so much. Sometimes I just shut myself away to avoid getting hurt. I’m so paranoid at times about what others think of me and that people think I’m faking my struggles and they get annoyed I just want stability. I’m so sick of the doctors and people telling me it’s just behavioural you could stop if you tried it’s your choice to behave like this. I know I’m part to blame but I really am trying it makes me scared to open up now because I know they won’t take my issues seriously :(. I have asked for a full mental health assessment and the doctor in the police station who thought I had personality disorder traits after police found me in the middle of the road has asked for one but the request was denied by GP and mental health team

I have used alcohol to cope in the past and have a family history of substance abuse anxiety depression and bipolar

Don’t know if I posted in the right forum but any help on some of these issues would be helpful, thanks
you need something that will keep you at home. you should be staying home and watching movies or playing video games or learning computers. stay home and stay out of trouble. watch youtube vidoes and learn more things. dont go out running around in the world getting into trouble

M

manster

I relate to this a lot. I was always afraid of getting help because of how others would view me. I definitely sought relief in alcohol, it was always nice that if I acted "out of sorts" I could blame it on being drunk.

I dealt with a lot of similar issues as you, starting from when I was around 13 or 14. I am now 26 and I went to my first therapy appointment in November 2020. I regret not doing it sooner, I feel like I would be in a much better place than I am now.

To be honest, a regular doctor was never much help to me as they always said I was "stressed". I ended up googling outreaches near me and that is where I am currently going for my therapy sessions and medications. Maybe you can try that?