• Hi. It’s great to see you. Welcome!

    Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life. Amongst our membership there is a wealth of expertise that has been developed through having to deal with mental health issues.

    We are an actively moderated forum with a team of experienced moderators. We also have a specialist safety team that works extra hard to keep the forum safe for visitors and members.

    Register now to access many more features and forums!

Please help

S

Sandys83

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2019
Messages
7
Location
Arizona
Hello I am looking to speak to someone about audio and visual hallucinations thank you
 
NWiddi

NWiddi

Well-known member
Forum Safety Team
Joined
May 6, 2017
Messages
1,297
Location
Sheffiield
I haven't had visual hallucinations myself but have had them across the other 4 senses (audio, tactile, smell and taste), I've spoken to many people who have had visual hallucinations including my Mother and friends from social groups I go to for people who have psychosis and schizophrenia.

I'd be happy to talk to you about yours.
 
S

Sandys83

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2019
Messages
7
Location
Arizona
Thanks for your reply. My son is 20 on the 7th .. a week and a half ago he started hallucinating. He’s also hearing multiple voices . He was in psych unit for 3 days . He’s been home a week and although was prescribed 3 different medications he is still hearing and seeing things that are not there . I believe in God and I know God is with us . But I’m hoping someone can tell me some medication that may work or some coping skills . Google is just very repetitive limited information thank you
 
OCDguy

OCDguy

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 13, 2016
Messages
819
Are you getting any support and advice from his Mental Health Team. I ask as they are probably the best people to give you guidance etc :hug:
 
AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Member
Staff Member on Leave
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
11,860
Location
UK
Have you looked at the Mind website, the mental health charity? They usually have good information.

I would keep asking them how you can best support your son, and whether there is any support available for you as a carer. Has he given permission for them to talk to you about his care and treatment? I'm not sure exactly what happens these days, but I believe as your son's an adult they'd need his consent. I'm sure Mind would have information on this as well.

Best wishes, I hope you find advice and information that makes this a little less distressing for you.
 
S

Sandys83

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2019
Messages
7
Location
Arizona
Have you looked at the Mind website, the mental health charity? They usually have good information.



I would keep asking them how you can best support your son, and whether there is any support available for you as a carer. Has he given permission for them to talk to you about his care and treatment? I'm not sure exactly what happens these days, but I believe as your son's an adult they'd need his consent. I'm sure Mind would have information on this as well.

Best wishes, I hope you find advice and information that makes this a little less distressing for you.
Thank u I’ll try it now 🤗
 
NWiddi

NWiddi

Well-known member
Forum Safety Team
Joined
May 6, 2017
Messages
1,297
Location
Sheffiield
I'm sorry to say that medication of any brand or strength may not stop these hallucinations completely.

I'm on my third brand and on a rather high strength and the best they can do is reduce the volume of the voice I hear by around 95%, but I can work with the remaining 5%, it allows me to totally ignore the voice and get on with my day which I've been doing for nearly three years now.

I'm not sure how much of an effect medication has on visual hallucinations because I never experienced them myself but for your sons sake I hope they become weaker as well, some people report just seeing shadows out of the corner of their eyes rather than full blown visual hallucinations.

I can recommend a good book called 'Living with Voices - 50 stories of recovery by Prof Marius Romme and Dr Sandra Escher'.
 
OCDguy

OCDguy

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 13, 2016
Messages
819
Out of curiosity, do you know what your son is seeing/hearing :hug:
 
S

Sandys83

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2019
Messages
7
Location
Arizona
Out of curiosity, do you know what your son is seeing/hearing :hug:
Yes he’s hearing 7 voices in his head female and male and he’s seeing the girl who was possessed in the movie excorist not just 1 girl but duplicates of them many all over everywhere we go
 
S

Sandys83

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2019
Messages
7
Location
Arizona
I'm sorry to say that medication of any brand or strength may not stop these hallucinations completely.

I'm on my third brand and on a rather high strength and the best they can do is reduce the volume of the voice I hear by around 95%, but I can work with the remaining 5%, it allows me to totally ignore the voice and get on with my day which I've been doing for nearly three years now.

I'm not sure how much of an effect medication has on visual hallucinations because I never experienced them myself but for your sons sake I hope they become weaker as well, some people report just seeing shadows out of the corner of their eyes rather than full blown visual hallucinations.

I can recommend a good book called 'Living with Voices - 50 stories of recovery by Prof Marius Romme and Dr Sandra Escher'.
What medication helped u with the voices please tell me
 
NWiddi

NWiddi

Well-known member
Forum Safety Team
Joined
May 6, 2017
Messages
1,297
Location
Sheffiield
I'm on 10mg of Aripiprazole and 4mg of Risperidone.

I need two to stop my voice doing physical things to my face like making the corner of my mouth twitch and eye lids twitch, so it could have been much worse for your son, without medication my voice can cause me great pain.

What medication did they give your son?
 
vanish

vanish

Well-known member
Forum Safety Team
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
2,240
Location
The Land of Oz
Firstly I wanted to pass on birthday wishes for your son. I noticed today is his birthday.
Unfortunately medication differs from person to person, so what works for me might not for someone else. His treating physician should be consulted before changing medications too, as they will have a better idea of your son’s situation.
Have you asked your son if he consents to you advocating on his behalf? It might be a good place to start.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Psychosis Forum 9
D Psychosis Forum 10
J Psychosis Forum 7
C Psychosis Forum 1
G Psychosis Forum 2
Top