• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Please Help

H

Hotpink711

My father suffers from Bipolar Disorder I w/ mania and some features of Schizophrenia. He endured and very traumatic childhood, a year before I was born he almost lost his mother and father in a collision. He almost ended his own life and since then has suffered the downward effects of this mental illness since his very first breakdown. there were times when dad would find the right medicines and would be okay for a while but 5 years ago right before him and my mother divorced he stopped taking his psychotic meds and we have not been able to get him straight since then. Our entire family is suffering I am only 23 dad is 51 he is currently in a home, I do not wish him to be there but we have children in the family and fear for their safety ultimately I want dad to be able to eventually come home and live a normal life.. am I dreaming and wishing upon a star that just is not there? can dad overcome and beat these demons or will my father continue to spiral downhill. My family and I feel like the doctors have just sent him from one to another like they have no compassion for dad or their patients I mean cmon they put him in a home after only 1 week of treatment in a mental facility. What can I do where do I turn please someone help me.

katya

katya

My father suffers from Bipolar Disorder I w/ mania and some features of Schizophrenia. He endured and very traumatic childhood, a year before I was born he almost lost his mother and father in a collision. He almost ended his own life and since then has suffered the downward effects of this mental illness since his very first breakdown. there were times when dad would find the right medicines and would be okay for a while but 5 years ago right before him and my mother divorced he stopped taking his psychotic meds and we have not been able to get him straight since then. Our entire family is suffering I am only 23 dad is 51 he is currently in a home, I do not wish him to be there but we have children in the family and fear for their safety ultimately I want dad to be able to eventually come home and live a normal life.. am I dreaming and wishing upon a star that just is not there? can dad overcome and beat these demons or will my father continue to spiral downhill. My family and I feel like the doctors have just sent him from one to another like they have no compassion for dad or their patients I mean cmon they put him in a home after only 1 week of treatment in a mental facility. What can I do where do I turn please someone help me.
Hello and :welcome:

I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this right now. It sounds as though you need answers from the home; I would suggest going in there and finding out as much as you can about your father's treatment.

Also, I think you need to get in touch with some outside agencies for support. What country do you live in? That will determine what agencies' support will be available to you.

Wish you the very best; hope you can find the answers you need soon.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Hotpink

Sorry you are going through this.

Is your Dad still off drugs? Can you go and be with him when he sees the,psychiatrist and be involved in his care? Sometimes (from my experience) when you are mentally ill, doctors seem to pay more serious attention if you have someone with you. On your own it can seem they are just box ticking, you are just another mental patient.

Is it possible for him to try the drugs that helped him before? There are also some kinds of therapy that have been shown to help people with bipolar and / or psychotic illness. Do you know what is available in the home?

People have managed to recover after long times in hospitals. It is possible he will be able to come home again, but you will probably need to press them to work towards that outcome. It does seem a very short time to be in hospital before being sent to a home. Had he been hospitalised frequently before that?

Please post again and ask anything you like. I hope you find the forum useful.

Best wishes, Sarah