• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

please help

aimeeg77

aimeeg77

hi does anyone know of how to shut the voices up, ive really tried everything and ive never had this much trouble before. I don't know what to do

E

Eigau

Hello aimee, sorry that you're going through this time. It's important to know that many of us go round in circles with the voices due to avoiding what the voices are confronting us with. So the in my opinion I believe it is best not to avoid or disregard the voices. I don't mean to carry out every instruction they give though.

I personally have found peace with the voices through effective dialogue. They have not gone away but now I have an effective support team of voices that present various options and scenarios for me to think about. It is an ongoing relationship and a continual balancing act, but I believe it is definitely worth striving for.

This is the only way I have found that gets a result that can have it's benefits. It takes time and training. But the first thing you need to know is that the onset of voices is often the most difficult phase.

I would like to encourage you to increase your awareness of the voices and that can be a good starting point, by asking yourself the questions found in this thread.

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread91572.html

Building awareness of the voices, in my opinion, is the first step to achieving the peace I mentioned. Take care, Te.

aimeeg77

aimeeg77

thankyou for the reply Te.
ill try whatever I can to stop myself doing what they want but doesn't seem to be working at present but ill try anything. I just don't know cause if i don't disregard and ignore them it wont be a good outcome and i just feel completely lost.
am so happy to hear you've found peace with voices and I really hope that's how it stays and sounds to me with your mind set that it will be the case, good on you for having the strength, admire that! and thankyou for your ideas too Aimeex

E

Eigau

I hear what you are saying aimee. It can be a terrifying time. There are many of us who are supportive here and you may find their advice helpful also. We are here to help you through this period. Do you have much support where you are?

aimeeg77

aimeeg77

yea I get that, im finding it helpful already so don't doubt ill find it supportive here, I have my phyciatrist but hes hardly ever available and my mental health workers on holiday for 6 weeks apart from them teres no one else just me and my son, unfortently the phyciatrist and MH worker are never available and all they do is write another prescription and send me away.

E

Eigau

Ok aimee. So it seems support is limited. Do you write down what the voices say?

aimeeg77

aimeeg77

very much so unfortenetly yes I have written down what they say in the past but its always the same things saying to harm myself , that I shouldn't be here and everyone else wants me dead, they just repeat the same kind of things

E

Eigau

Ok. With the negative statements it's important to get into the habit of interpreting these statements usefully. One way is to write the opposite of the statement perhaps in a different colour. From what I've read, for every negative voice there is a positive one. They just may need cultivating.

aimeeg77

aimeeg77

ok thankyou te.reo.orooro :)
x

E

Eigau

Hi aimee, just want you to know that I'm having internet connection difficulties. I want you to know, that this is the hardest part (of voice hearing). If I do pop off it will be the internet connection problem I'm having, but I won't be far. I will just need to restart the modem and then I'll come back. Hang in there aimee.

Last edited:
aimeeg77

aimeeg77

ok that's fine I understand but thanks for saying though te x

aimeeg77

aimeeg77

yes pyscosis, borderline P.D and server depressive disorder

E

Eigau

How long have you had these diagnoses for aimee? Are they recent or long term?

aimeeg77

aimeeg77

I got them in 2008 but I had before I asked for help