• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Please help

T

tony2010

Hi guys. I am 22 and i am just back from seeing the psychaitrist.I wrote down how i had been feeling the last 3 - 4 weeks and showed it to him. Things like racing thoughts, problems sleeping, incresed energy and so on.I asked him did he think i has Bipolar and he said it sounds like it. So is that a diagnosis then? He prescribed me with Olanzapine 15mg. My head was all over the place i forgot to ask him but what kind of drug is Olanzapine?How will it make me feel?When the shrink said it sounds like i have Bipolar is that a diagnosis?

emski

emski

Sounds pretty much like a diagnosis. Olanzapine is a kind of drug called an antipsychotic, typically used in psychoses, but it is also indicated as a mood stabiliser in bipolar disorder. Just be careful to monitor any side effects, particularly weight gain. Read the information leaflet in the box and do some google searches and read a much as you can manage about the drug, any drug for that matter. Good luck, hope it helps :flowers:

E

Elvis100

Hi there

My pyschiatrist told me I had bipolar and when the report came through to me it said that was the diagnosis. I had not the faintest idea what she was talking about, I thought I was fine tee hee hee!! It takes time to get your head around and to be honest i dont think im quite there yet. If they have said that it sounds like it then i'm sure they are right and hopefully you will get something to confirm that. I take lithium 1000mg and Seroquel 100mg ( i did start on olanzapine) but im still up and down. i know eventually it will settle down, well God, i hope it does. Its good to have supportive friends around tho they are just as important as the medication. i had a really bad day today and ended up threatening to do really stupid and dangerous things which i probably would have done had my friend not been there to pin me down (quite literally!!) and get me to see sense. Getting a diagnosis is great but its a rocky road ahead. I hope you will be ok. I find people on here are so supportive to one another :) x

mypd

mypd

I was given my diagnosis in the same tone as if he suggested the next appointment
"so, i guess I'll see you in a few weeks from now since you are bipolar and all". I would have at least liked lights and whistles. It's not everyday I am given a diagnosis. Althought, I am a bit of a collector. I have an anxiety disorder and a personality disorder as well as bipolar.

It's already been mentioned but finding the right dose is the most frusterating part but well worth it. Personally, I eat lithium, seroquel and doxepin daily with a lorazepam (as needed). I am feeling very stable on these. So, there is hope. One day, you'll balance out and not feel beaten down by your illness.