• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Please help - What Now ?

M

mumto6

I have always been self employed - Partner stayed home and looked after the children - we have 5.There has been a huge dilema over the last 2 years in regards to working - some times I would work 16 hours a day 7 days a week other times I could not even get out of bed. Thankfully I now know its ben down to cyclothymia , so at least I know I am not completely crazy !

The shrink suggested I take at least until my 6th baby is born in May to not work at all. I did what I thought was right and stopped my Working Tax Credit - ok well now what - other than my child benefit we are not going to get any money ???

As for my partner going out to work its not visable - I am terrified he will be made to go out to work and I am going to be left here at home on my own - I do not feel safe to be left alone with the children - not because I would hurt them but more so my head is that confused doing the simple tasks is impossible - leaving cooker on - checking everything I do 4-5 times etc etc
3 of my children are at school but I have an 18 month old daughter and a 8 month old son I am also 5 months pregnant - please help I have no idea about benefits.:confused:

iffybob

iffybob

Start

Ok this is just a start .....

Go to your local 'job center', talk to the receptionist, explain your situation and that you have no income, ask for the forms to claim benifits ( yes you do need to ), fill them out as soon as possible, ask if you can have help filling them out there and then, but the sooner the better.......

... sorry I dont know how it works if you have children, maybe some one you know whe has also to claim can help you, also ask about things like councel tax, you need to claim the things you can, of you rent your home, you can also claim for that, if you have a morgage it is differnt but I think there is some help, just write a list down and go through it, it wont be a huge amount but its better that you claim all you can, after all you paid you taxes when you worked..!

M

mumto6

Can they make my partner have to look for and get a job , how do I explain to them that I need him at home to keep an eye on me , they will think I am insane , I find it really hard to talk about my problems , such great friends have never returned to see me since I was open with them , I am scared of the reaction and strange looks.

iffybob

iffybob

I dont know

I honestly dont know, is the answer, you may have to get a sick note from your GP though, I know there is a carers allowence, but I dont know the rules.

I found this link about the money side .... you will haev to examin it for your circumstances, the rule is, if you think you may qualify apply for it, if you dont qualify they will turn you down. so you have nothing to lose by applying

http://direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/index.htm

T

TOONAFISH

hi, if you have some one who looks after you full time (your husband) then they get paid carers allowance and cant be made to look for work as they are actually working. you should get incapacity benefit too. my dad looks after my mum and gets carers allowance. i get incapacity benefit at the moment. you need to get a medical done. x

A

Ainsworth

dont you need to be claiming DLA for the carers allowance? :confused:

M

mumto6

Thank you for all of your help.
I find it hard to remember my own name at the moment let alone fight with benefits people.
I have never had to claim anything before as have always been in work , so its all very new to me.
A friend told me ESA - but I read upon that and it said you have to keep sending in sick notes and attend work related interviews , that alone scares me into feeling sick , the thought of having to go and be interviewed by some stranger.

My pscy person who diagnosed me said he was going to report back to my GP that I needed supervision from my partner , that I was at risk to myself and others if I were to be left alone.

I have an appointmnet again on Monday with The Crisis Team as my condition seems to be getting worse ( I am not medicated as I am pregnant) so maybe something I could ask them if I can remember. I also have another appointments with a pre-natal pscyh at the end of the month.
I have seen that many different people I would not know who is the best to ask. As I only seem to see them once then they pass me onto someone else!

iffybob

iffybob

All

Ask them all, even if you have asked one .....

Definatly tell the crisis team that you need help filling in the forms for the beinfits and write down what to put down, if it helps have the forms ready to fill in for when they get there, they may not fill in the entire form, but they may fill in the right things to say in some sections.......

........ good luck, and just remember , you payed your taxes, so you are entitled to claim ....

. take care ..... boB.......:)

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Your crisis team should help you. Please look after yourself most, of the paper work could be done by your partner and take the pressure off yourself.
TAke care
KP:hug:

M

mumto6

Just a quick update in the hope it might help others with the same question -
I phoned up the Employment & Support Allowance this morning and have a new claim - it was all done via the phone and the answers were more yes or no I did not have to go into any details.
They will process the claim send it tome by letter - I then have to send a medical note to them and thats it - sounds simple - lets wait and see how long it takes.
I have also had a look at the DLA Claim after the crisis team said apply and well its proving quite fun !

iffybob

iffybob

Hi

Filling in the DLA forms is not as black and white, make sure you get help to do it.......

....... good luck with the rest..... (y)

A

Ainsworth

im an expert at DLA forms and even better at fighting the appeals :cool:

L

Lady Summer Isles

Iffybob is right. Get some help filling in the dla form. Our local cmht has an advocacy worker who did mine for me. I don't think i could have managed it on my own. I have been on incapacity benefit for some time but only claimed dla a couple of years ago and it has made a big difference to my finances. Def worth trying - good luck
Tannith

keepsafe

keepsafe

UnRx - will come to you if mine gets knocked back - just applied - well someone from c.m.h.t filled in the form for me.

A

Ainsworth

KS, i will help if you need it, ive been filling them in for 10 years and they have to be so detailed, it can be quite depressing to fill one in as you have to list the worse case.

if they turn you down KS, you appeal it and keep appealing, its worth sticking with the fight and winning, as then you get the award for 3 years.

i hope everyone remembered to photo copy the forms, it makes it easier next time you need to re-apply. (as a record for you to add to or change) :)