Please help, very worried!

B

Brad156

Ok, so for the last 6 months I have felt “off”. I get these random waves of awful feelings, just like a big wave of fear, anxiety, and hopelessness all combined into one for absolutely no reason. It feels like I’m trapped and there is nowhere to run and then maybe after 10-15 minutes it usually works itself away, sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn’t. I wouldn’t really call it a panic attack because my heart rate doesn’t really increase and I don’t start hyperventilating or anything like that I just feel awful, at its worst all I want to do is lay down and cry because of how shitty it makes me feel, it’s like it wipes out all the feel good chemicals in my brain. No trigger, no identifiable cause. I have a great life, good job, loving family, and no history or family history of mental health issues. I’m in college and I drink pretty heavily, 3-4 nights out at the bar boozing pretty hard, I can say that while I’ve been drunk I don’t get this feeling. I’ll get it when I’m buzzed, but when im actually drunk I can say I don’t think I’ve ever gotten this feeling. It seems to me like it’s some sort of chemical imbalance or issue as emotionally I’m fine and I don’t see myself as a crazy anxious guy to the point where I worry myself into a panic. But this is really starting to freak me out because it’s been around for a while and it’s hard to deal with and seems to be getting more frequent. For the past 5 days I’ve been totally sober to see if maybe alcohol is the issue here but I don’t think alcohol would cause something like this. My career path is heavily dependent on me being mentally stable so if I go to a doctor about anxiety/mental health that is likely a HUGE obstacle in my career if not a career ender. So does anybody have any advice? Doctors I can see off the record? Online support? Anything that could be causing this? Vitamins/supplements that are safe to try? It’s seriously starting to freak me out and I’m starting to lose hope that it’s never gonna get better. Plz help!

ReverieAnxiety

ReverieAnxiety

Hi Brad!

First off, I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling. Your symptoms of hopelessness does sound like depression and from what I know, depression doesn't discriminate; it doesn't matter who you are, how wealthy you are, or how well you're life is going.

I'm so sad that you think you're career will end because of mental illness. This is why I want to help end the stigmas associated with mental illness. All illnesses are the same...they hurt us. All illnesses deserves to be treated. Mental illness is a littler harder to comprehend for others because it's not something physical that we can see. And when people do see it, they see it as a character flaw. It is really hard to separate a mental illness from our personality, because the illness affects our personality!

I do hope you don't feel discouraged to seek help and a professional diagnosis, because it does get worst overtime. The sooner you treat it, the sooner you can work towards living a healthier life. And, you can be still be successful with any illness. It is not a death sentence. More like a different way to live.

PS. I was cooking and almost burnt my pan responding to you because I forgot lol. Also, caffeine exacerbates anxiety.

B

Brad156

Hi Brad!

First off, I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling. Your symptoms of hopelessness does sound like depression and from what I know, depression doesn't discriminate; it doesn't matter who you are, how wealthy you are, or how well you're life is going.

I'm so sad that you think you're career will end because of mental illness. This is why I want to help end the stigmas associated with mental illness. All illnesses are the same...they hurt us. All illnesses deserves to be treated. Mental illness is a littler harder to comprehend for others because it's not something physical that we can see. And when people do see it, they see it as a character flaw. It is really hard to separate a mental illness from our personality, because the illness affects our personality!

I do hope you don't feel discouraged to seek help and a professional diagnosis, because it does get worst overtime. The sooner you treat it, the sooner you can work towards living a healthier life. And, you can be still be successful with any illness. It is not a death sentence. More like a different way to live.

PS. I was cooking and almost burnt my pan responding to you because I forgot lol. Also, caffeine exacerbates anxiety.
Thanks for the reply. It’s just weird because these feelings come in waves and have absolutely no triggers

Parayana

Parayana

@Brad156, I was very depressed for a while yesterday, luckily for me a combination of medication and meditation lifted my mood, it had no trigger, I had no reason to be depressed, I was in a good place and my mood just suddenly dropped, sometimes it doesn't need a trigger.

B

Brad156

@Brad156, I was very depressed for a while yesterday, luckily for me a combination of medication and meditation lifted my mood, it had no trigger, I had no reason to be depressed, I was in a good place and my mood just suddenly dropped, sometimes it doesn't need a trigger.
I don’t think I even feel depressed, it seems more along the lines of an anxiety attack, aren’t there differences between emotional anxiety and mental anxiety?

Parayana

Parayana

I'm afraid I have no answer to that.

ReverieAnxiety

ReverieAnxiety

Hi brad,

I have generalized anxiety disorder, so all anxiety is the same to me. Everything makes me anxious and they're all emotionally charged. I never thought there is a mental and emotional anxiety...can you explain more?

G

goodgollymiss

Does st John's wort help with depression

G

goodgollymiss

You may have ptsd. Maybe you could buy yourself a cognitive behaviour therapy workbook or secretly go to counseling

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi @Brad156

I am very sorry you’re not feeling well.
You do know that drinking is bad for your mental health and could very well be the cause of why you’re getting this anxious feeling. Yes, you don’t feel anxious when you’re drunk but it’s the aftermath.

Try to stop drinking and stay away from caffeine as much as possible.

Are you getting enough sunlight? Get vitamin D, Omega 3(Fish oil), and B complex vitamin supplements. Try to get magnesium supplements as well but take it with very heavy meals as it causes diarrhea with light meals and don’t take it with meals containing calcium.

You can also try GABA and L-theanine supplements or 5 htp. If you take the GABA and L-theanine then don’t take the 5 htp. Try each one for a week and see what helps the most but please don’t take any of these if you’re on any antidepressants or any medication for mental health.

And don’t forget to get enough sleep. It’s very important for your mental health.

Google can be your best friend 🙂.

I hope you feel better soon.

C

Confusedandanxious

Hey if you feel there are no reasons behind why you have been feeling this way, then perhaps getting some blood tests to check your thyroid levels etc. Would be helpful. It could be something like that that is bringing it on.

B

Brad156

Hi brad,

I have generalized anxiety disorder, so all anxiety is the same to me. Everything makes me anxious and they're all emotionally charged. I never thought there is a mental and emotional anxiety...can you explain more?
Yes so I read about it online, emotional anxiety is something triggered by emotional situations or thoughts, like work stress, being scared of something physical, etc. Mental anxiety is brought on for no reason and is thought to be caused by some kind of chemical issue in the brain.

B

Brad156

Hi @Brad156

I am very sorry you’re not feeling well.
You do know that drinking is bad for your mental health and could very well be the cause of why you’re getting this anxious feeling. Yes, you don’t feel anxious when you’re drunk but it’s the aftermath.

Try to stop drinking and stay away from caffeine as much as possible.

Are you getting enough sunlight? Get vitamin D, Omega 3(Fish oil), and B complex vitamin supplements. Try to get magnesium supplements as well but take it with very heavy meals as it causes diarrhea with light meals and don’t take it with meals containing calcium.

You can also try GABA and L-theanine supplements or 5 htp. If you take the GABA and L-theanine then don’t take the 5 htp. Try each one for a week and see what helps the most but please don’t take any of these if you’re on any antidepressants or any medication for mental health.

And don’t forget to get enough sleep. It’s very important for your mental health.

Google can be your best friend 🙂.

I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you for the response! I will start looking into these things! I have tried Vitamin D supplements as my levels were low and I got them back to the normal range and that didn't have any change it seemed like. I suppose I can now start trying a Omega 3 and B complex vitamin. Any recommendations?

Justafriend95

Justafriend95

I have the same thing. I love my family, have a great loving husband, a house, a garden and I do graphic design something I always loved to do.

Still I'm depresed, lonely and not in a good place. No trigger, no nothing. It's something inside.

Your not alone

B

Brad156

I just get these feelings that I'm trapped and have no where to go. I am afraid that I am going to end up like Avicii.

Justafriend95

Justafriend95

I wish I could help but I feel the same for the last few days. I want to help but I don't think I can.. and I'm sorry for that..

I hope you feel better soon 🙄

ReverieAnxiety

ReverieAnxiety

Hi brad,

I think going to the doctor would be a good idea. Maybe something else is going on with you that you are unaware of.

J

John Banks

Ok, so for the last 6 months I have felt “off”. I get these random waves of awful feelings, just like a big wave of fear, anxiety, and hopelessness all combined into one for absolutely no reason. It feels like I’m trapped and there is nowhere to run and then maybe after 10-15 minutes it usually works itself away, sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn’t. I wouldn’t really call it a panic attack because my heart rate doesn’t really increase and I don’t start hyperventilating or anything like that I just feel awful, at its worst all I want to do is lay down and cry because of how shitty it makes me feel, it’s like it wipes out all the feel good chemicals in my brain. No trigger, no identifiable cause. I have a great life, good job, loving family, and no history or family history of mental health issues. I’m in college and I drink pretty heavily, 3-4 nights out at the bar boozing pretty hard, I can say that while I’ve been drunk I don’t get this feeling. I’ll get it when I’m buzzed, but when im actually drunk I can say I don’t think I’ve ever gotten this feeling. It seems to me like it’s some sort of chemical imbalance or issue as emotionally I’m fine and I don’t see myself as a crazy anxious guy to the point where I worry myself into a panic. But this is really starting to freak me out because it’s been around for a while and it’s hard to deal with and seems to be getting more frequent. For the past 5 days I’ve been totally sober to see if maybe alcohol is the issue here but I don’t think alcohol would cause something like this. My career path is heavily dependent on me being mentally stable so if I go to a doctor about anxiety/mental health that is likely a HUGE obstacle in my career if not a career ender. So does anybody have any advice? Doctors I can see off the record? Online support? Anything that could be causing this? Vitamins/supplements that are safe to try? It’s seriously starting to freak me out and I’m starting to lose hope that it’s never gonna get better. Plz help!
I going to read a few excerpts on "Automatic Thoughts" from my cognitive behavioral therapy book "Thoughts and feelings 3rd edition":

"You are constantly describing the world to yourself, giving each event or experience some label. You automatically make interpretations of everything you see, hear, touch and feel. You judge events as good or bad, pleasurable or painful, safe or dangerous. This process colors all of your experiences, labeling them with private meaning..."

"...An automatic thought needn't be expressed in words at all. It can be a brief visual image, an imagined sound or smell, or an physical sensation..."

"...Sometimes he automatic thought is a brief reconstruction of some event in the past. A depressed woman kept seeing the stairway in Macy's where her husband had first annouced his plan to leave her. The image of the stairway was enough to unleash all the feelings associated with the loss."

"Occasionally an automatic thought can take the form of inuitive knowledge, without words, images, or sense impression. For example, a chef who was plagued with self-doubt 'just knew' that it was useless to try to get promoted to head chef."

I'm not sure if negative automatic thoughts are your problems, but it's something you can look into if your stumped.