• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Please help.. my severe anxiety is going to kill me

A

Amyelizabeth

I am a 31 year old woman, I have had SEVERE anxiety for 15 years. Started with panic attacks and it’s got to the point now that I have EXTREME health anxiety. When I say extreme I mean I have a blood pressure machine, 3 themomoters, pulse and oxygen finger reader. I literally have everything you would find in a hospital! I’m scared to take ANY medication from simple pain killers to things I need..

Which brings me to my next subject- I have a SEVERE throat infection iv had it now for 4/5 weeks, my doctor prescribed me Keflex, I automatically told myself I would have a reaction and had to wait for my mum to come over before I took the tablet as I was a shaking nervous wreck, I took it and after a few hours I had a sore tounge and stomach pain and some heart palpitations , now these are probably just standard side effects but I convinced myself it was an allergy, so I called the doctor who prescribed amoxicillin I did actually have a reaction to this it swelled my air way up and caused a severe asthma attack!

So I need to go back to the Keflex he originally prescribed because I’m quite sensitive to most medication and the Keflex did have some side effects but I’m thinking maybe these were just normal side effects ( hence why I’m so scared to take things)

Problem is I have the pack here from a few weeks ago, I won’t take it until my mum comes tomorrow as I’m too scared and I’m shaking just thinking about it. But my throat is half closed up with infection, fever up and down, chills, inflamed airway, huge swollen glands. I have left it so long untreated and it’s getting worse so clearly bacterial. So I need to bite the bullet but the anxiety is killing me, I’m already thinking I’m going to have a heart attack on it or allergy and leave my children behind. I know it sounds dramatic but I promise you over the last 6 years I have been near to death so many times that this has caused SEVERE health related anxiety 😞. Help please . If I take it I think I might die but if I don’t I probably will get a life threatening infection .

N

Nukelavee

You realize not taking the medicine could kill you, right?

A

Amyelizabeth

I know that’s why I’m so scared, I have a fear of taking medication due to side effects (that I always seem to get) and yet I know leaving a strep bacterial infection can cause sepsis/ endocarditis or worse 😬, I just don’t know how to get over the fear of taking the medication without thinking they will kill me, as soon as I take them I panic, hyperventilate and wait for side effects. I know it sounds crazy.

P

Palbau

I am a 31 year old woman, I have had SEVERE anxiety for 15 years. Started with panic attacks and it’s got to the point now that I have EXTREME health anxiety. When I say extreme I mean I have a blood pressure machine, 3 themomoters, pulse and oxygen finger reader. I literally have everything you would find in a hospital! I’m scared to take ANY medication from simple pain killers to things I need..

Which brings me to my next subject- I have a SEVERE throat infection iv had it now for 4/5 weeks, my doctor prescribed me Keflex, I automatically told myself I would have a reaction and had to wait for my mum to come over before I took the tablet as I was a shaking nervous wreck, I took it and after a few hours I had a sore tounge and stomach pain and some heart palpitations , now these are probably just standard side effects but I convinced myself it was an allergy, so I called the doctor who prescribed amoxicillin I did actually have a reaction to this it swelled my air way up and caused a severe asthma attack!

So I need to go back to the Keflex he originally prescribed because I’m quite sensitive to most medication and the Keflex did have some side effects but I’m thinking maybe these were just normal side effects ( hence why I’m so scared to take things)

Problem is I have the pack here from a few weeks ago, I won’t take it until my mum comes tomorrow as I’m too scared and I’m shaking just thinking about it. But my throat is half closed up with infection, fever up and down, chills, inflamed airway, huge swollen glands. I have left it so long untreated and it’s getting worse so clearly bacterial. So I need to bite the bullet but the anxiety is killing me, I’m already thinking I’m going to have a heart attack on it or allergy and leave my children behind. I know it sounds dramatic but I promise you over the last 6 years I have been near to death so many times that this has caused SEVERE health related anxiety 😞. Help please . If I take it I think I might die but if I don’t I probably will get a life threatening infection .

I understand you very well. You need to believe your
doctor only will help you. Can you talk to him and can he tells you that everything about the medication will be okay?