• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Please help me :/

M

Mont02

Hey all, I've just registered on the forum because I'd like to get your advice.

I'm struggling with anxiety my whole life. When I was young (middle school) kids from my class were often laughting at me because my father was alcoholic. We were very poor family. I have very low self-esteem since my childhood, I'm very sensitive to criticism and negative opinions. But my main problem is that sometimes when I see a group of people who are laughing I have thoughts that they may laught at me. I don't believe it 100% but these thoughts are destroying me. When I see a group of people who are talking with each other and laught I know that they are not laughting at me, but when I notice they are looking at me and laught, I'm wondering if they are not laughting at me. Some people on other forum told me that these symptoms may be delusionals and beginning of schizophrenia. I'm very scared.. I'm also feeling uncomfortable in public situations like eating in restaurant. I don't want to have schizophrenia... :( I don't have any other symptoms just this one and of course not always.

Empish

Empish

Hi Mont02, these could just be symptoms of social anxiety which usually has an element of paranoia with it. I would not worry too much about it being schizophrenia at this point, but if it would reassure you to know maybe go and see a doctor.
Also, there are people who are nasty, rude and laugh at others. When this happens try not to take it too personally, they probably do the same to others aswell. They are not worth worrying about.

S

SFGuy

Mont02, this sounds awfully painful. I have a similar reaction to groups, but usually I just feel excluded even though I'm perfectly welcome. I am not even a little schizophrenic, though. I am treated for anxiety, bipolar disorder, and ADHD, but people develop social anxiety for many different reasons. Anxiety distorts perceptions, but those distortions don't necessarily mean you are schizophrenic or psychotic. Many medications exist that might help you feel better. If you have access to a good psychiatrist, he or she can help you figure out what kind of anxiety you have and what meds might help. After years of treatment, social anxiety remains a problem for me. My psychiatrist hasn't found the perfect pill, but I'm better off than I was when I started treatment. Wishing you all the best.

Empish

Empish

What have you tried to help your anxiety?

Karmaman

Karmaman

@Mont02 I have social anxiety and sometimes it can manifest itself like you say, especially when I'm hypervigilant. I know it's ridiculous but it happens. I'm sure many people can relate with your experiences.

S

Sugaree

Welcome! I know that depression makes me feel invisible as if no one cares to see me. You may want to see a dr. and eventually get a diagnosis. There’s help if you need it, with meds and a good counselor.:welcome:

M

Mont02

I am very grateful for your answers, thank you so much! I didn't sleep last night because I read that could be symptoms of schizofrenia and my anxiety increased to very high level that I couldn't fell asleep. I've started meditation recently and listening to nature music before sleep to calm down.

Karmaman

Karmaman

@Mont02 I'd definitely keep practicing meditation and do whatever ease your mind. There are some good guided meditations on youtube.

Empish

Empish

If you haven't already you should quit caffeine which makes anxiety worse. It is in...
Coffee, tea (there is also a little in the decaf options), chocolate, energy drinks and some medications like cold and hay fever meds.
It's great that you have started practicing meditation. Yoga is also very good if you are able.

jajingna

jajingna

Hi Mont. It sounds very unlikely you are schizophrenic just because you sometimes think people might be laughing at you. This sort of thinking happens with social anxiety sometimes. You worry about what others think about you, and are scared they might be thinking disapproving and critical things.

I have this too. I know it's because I'm not really confident with people, and feel unsure of myself. Even when there is no reason to think this way, our fears can make us have these thoughts. If you can find a way to calm down your anxiety maybe the thoughts will calm down too. If you can be calmer you can probably feel safer.

I know how illogical the thoughts are, and have had them myself for many years. It can feel like being a bit paranoid sometimes, like there is some danger there with other people around. We really just need to feel more safe and secure and comfortable to be ourselves, but I don't really know how. It's not an easy thing to live with.

Empish

Empish

If you haven't already you should quit caffeine which makes anxiety worse. It is in...
Coffee, tea (there is also a little in the decaf options), chocolate, energy drinks and some medications like cold and hay fever meds.
It's great that you have started practicing meditation. Yoga is also very good if you are able.
I forgot to say coke/cola and some other soft drinks.

M

Mont02

Hi Mont. It sounds very unlikely you are schizophrenic just because you sometimes think people might be laughing at you. This sort of thinking happens with social anxiety sometimes. You worry about what others think about you, and are scared they might be thinking disapproving and critical things.

I have this too. I know it's because I'm not really confident with people, and feel unsure of myself. Even when there is no reason to think this way, our fears can make us have these thoughts. If you can find a way to calm down your anxiety maybe the thoughts will calm down too. If you can be calmer you can probably feel safer.

I know how illogical the thoughts are, and have had them myself for many years. It can feel like being a bit paranoid sometimes, like there is some danger there with other people around. We really just need to feel more safe and secure and comfortable to be ourselves, but I don't really know how. It's not an easy thing to live with.
Thank you so much! It really calmed me. I know that not everyone is laughing at me. It must be a specific situation. For example, if I ride a bike or walk and I see a group of people and they are talking and joking with each other I don't have those thoughts. But if I see two girls that are walking in front of me, and I don't see they are talking with each other but just looking at me and laughting I almost always have thoughts "they maybe laught at me" and my anxiety is increasing, or when I pass them and they laugh behind my back I get thoughts "maybe they laugh at me" as I mentioned it must be a specific situation. On the other hand if I pass them and I hear laugh behind my back BUT I knew they were talking about something because I saw it when they were in front of me, I know they are not laughting at me.

I forgot to say coke/cola and some other soft drinks.
I often drink cola and eat a lot of sugar. Should I stop eating sweets ?

Empish

Empish

Thank you so much! It really calmed me. I know that not everyone is laughing at me. It must be a specific situation. For example, if I ride a bike or walk and I see a group of people and they are talking and joking with each other I don't have those thoughts. But if I see two girls that are walking in front of me, and I don't see they are talking with each other but just looking at me and laughting I almost always have thoughts "they maybe laught at me" and my anxiety is increasing, or when I pass them and they laugh behind my back I get thoughts "maybe they laugh at me" as I mentioned it must be a specific situation. On the other hand if I pass them and I hear laugh behind my back BUT I knew they were talking about something because I saw it when they were in front of me, I know they are not laughting at me.

I often drink cola and eat a lot of sugar. Should I stop eating sweets ?
Sugar does not contain caffeine but cutting down on it would probably be a good idea.
Eating a healthy diet is important for mental as well as physical health.
Taking a GOOD QUALITY multivitamin high in B vitamins or a B complex vitamin would definately help as B vitamins are good for the nervous system.