Please help me

J

Jezica

I don't even know if this is the right forum
My trauma isn't as bad as other people's and I've never told anyone what happened.
Its been four years and I've not said anything.
Its eating away at me every day but i don't know who to tell i dont know how.
Will it go away?
Is telling a therapist??? (nhs adult?) confidential that's what worries me most. I dont want to get police involved it was years ago but its still affecting me. Csn i be treated without telling other people.
This is just long and ranty I'm sorry im going through a lot, we all are i know i just feel desperate

calypso

calypso

Admin
:welcome: Jezica . What is it that traumatises you? It sounds serious if you feel someone might call the police or anything. Anything said to a therapist is confidential unless it causes harm to others or yourself. But it has to be serious for them to ever break such things and they would tell you up front about confidentiality. If it was something done to you then its confidential absolutely.

Ihope you can get the help you need. Can you tell us what happened?

J

Jezica

Long story short i was raped, years ago im not in danger noone is in danger, will my therapist keep this confidential i really dont want to bring it up if it means my mum finding out.

J

Jezica

:welcome: Jezica . What is it that traumatises you? It sounds serious if you feel someone might call the police or anything. Anything said to a therapist is confidential unless it causes harm to others or yourself. But it has to be serious for them to ever break such things and they would tell you up front about confidentiality. If it was something done to you then its confidential absolutely.

Ihope you can get the help you need. Can you tell us what happened?
Long story short i was raped, years ago im not in danger noone is in danger, will my therapist keep this confidential i really dont want to bring it up if it means my mum finding out.

InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

I can only speak from personal experience, and it may differ from therapist to therapist. But I was molested years ago, when I was a child. I finally opened up to my therapist about it this year and this is what happened. She did not go to the police. She told me that I am an adult and it was my choice whether or not I wanted to pursue it legally. I told her I absolutely did not want the police involved and she said that as long as the abuse is not happening now then she would not go to the police, and she hasn't. I can't say that every therapist will be the same way, but that's just how it went down with my therapist. As long as you are safe now, then they should respect your wishes to not get the police involved.

J

Jezica

I can only speak from personal experience, and it may differ from therapist to therapist. But I was molested years ago, when I was a child. I finally opened up to my therapist about it this year and this is what happened. She did not go to the police. She told me that I am an adult and it was my choice whether or not I wanted to pursue it legally. I told her I absolutely did not want the police involved and she said that as long as the abuse is not happening now then she would not go to the police, and she hasn't. I can't say that every therapist will be the same way, but that's just how it went down with my therapist. As long as you are safe now, then they should respect your wishes to not get the police involved.
Thank you, this has made me a little more confident about telling my therapist although it might take time.
Sorry you went through that, i hope therapy is helping you.