• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Please help me understand

Mom_To_Two_Too

Mom_To_Two_Too

What the hell is wrong with me? I'm 50 years old, overweight by about 25lbs, not in the best shape, and all I do is think about food:

Should I eat? Do I need to eat? I don't need to eat. I need to lose weight. I need to get in shape. I can go without eating. I can eat less sugar. I can eat less carbs. I can eat healthier. I can not eat until __o'clock. I can stop eating at __o'clock. I can only have protein shakes...and so on, and so on. Continuously.

Mixed with:

I'm huge. I'm flabby. My butt cheeks are about to touch the backs of my knees. I'm wide. I'm unhealthy looking. I'm way too big. I'm ugly. I'm
gross.

But then:

Oooh, I will eat everything in sight, better if it's high in carbs, high sugar, and I will do it in secret most the time because it feels good to watch Netflix and eat in me bed. But now I feel sick, and ashamed, and pissed at myself.

And then I start over. Every frikking day.

I have battled with bulimia on and off since I was a teen. I have ruined my stomach and have gastritis and heartburn so bad it has sent me to the ER. I don't do massive binges, never have. I just end up beating myself up for not resisting.

Why am I doing this STILL? After all these years? I know food makes me feel safe butI also know it makes me miserable, so please help me make sense of this.

Maitri

Maitri

Asking "why" and trying to understand ourselves is often pointless. We all have our instincts, problems or whatever. So its not so much making sense of it, more to see it, what it is doing to you, and wanting to change.

Are there any support groups in your area, others who have shared the same challenges?

The biggest changes can begin with the very smallest steps. Try to take a few small steps in cutting down, take pride in it, feel better in yourself. Take it from there.

As I always say, easy for me to say. But you do need a bit of will-power. Believe in yourself. All things are possible.

All the best

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I don't know much about this, but you seem to have 3 specific things that might be making this issue extra difficult...

1. Lots of self-expectations. Lots of "I should", "I must" and "I need to" statements. Those kinds of thoughts put negative pressure on you.

2. Some self-hatred, at least in terms of body criticism. This can reinforce the pressure of the above "must" type thought patterns. "My butt is so big, I'm so gross. I must lose weight."

3. Then to release all that pressure and stress, you end up indulging in junk food because when your mind lives in an "eating jail" 90% of the time, that other 10% of the time it just wants to escape.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Can anyone please help me? Eating Disorders Forum 6
K Please help me Eating Disorders Forum 1
G please I need help Eating Disorders Forum 24
F Newly diagnosed with bulimia PLEASE HELP Eating Disorders Forum 1
L Please help Eating Disorders Forum 5
G Please help Eating Disorders Forum 4
Grimezxz Triggering - Please help Eating Disorders Forum 2
L Please help me ! Eating Disorders Forum 3
P Please Help - Binge/Restrict Cycle for Three Years... Eating Disorders Forum 2
P Do I some form of an eating disorder? (Please help I really need it) Eating Disorders Forum 4
T Help me, please Eating Disorders Forum 4
S Anorexia Help!! Please Eating Disorders Forum 6
S Please could someone help me Eating Disorders Forum 11
F I don't know where I'm at...please help Eating Disorders Forum 3
N Please help! I don't know what to do (potential trigger for some people) Eating Disorders Forum 6
S Please help, I feel so alone and completely hopeless. A combination of being underweight, parent problems, and moving out? Eating Disorders Forum 3
S Anorexia breakdown, please help Eating Disorders Forum 6
S Please help me help my young teenage daughter Eating Disorders Forum 1
I Disordered Eating? Or something else? Need help, please! Eating Disorders Forum 5
N Please help - worried about wife Eating Disorders Forum 3
A Help please! Eating Disorders Forum 2
H Please help Eating Disorders Forum 13
H Please help me...my daughter Eating Disorders Forum 5
T help please... Eating Disorders Forum 3
G new to forum help me please?? Eating Disorders Forum 7
M Please help me Eating Disorders Forum 6
A Girlfriend with Coeliac and ED. PLEASE HELP Eating Disorders Forum 3
P Please help. In a pickle. Eating Disorders Forum 12
K Please can anyone out there help me??? Eating Disorders Forum 7
M Please help me help my friend Eating Disorders Forum 15
S help me please Eating Disorders Forum 2
T help please help :’( Eating Disorders Forum 13
C help on 'recovery', ending the b.p. cycle. please ? Eating Disorders Forum 6
P PLEASE HELP afraid to eat? Eating Disorders Forum 4
K Hello, I’d like advice please Eating Disorders Forum 5
P Need some experienced advice please. Eating Disorders Forum 3
bluekii [Advice please] I have no control over my eating, and it's making me suicidal. Eating Disorders Forum 6
L New here... could use some words of advice with my ED PLEASE.. could be triggering if triggered easily Eating Disorders Forum 1
E Food - lots of it please Eating Disorders Forum 2
L Support needed please :) Eating Disorders Forum 1
N Recovery advice please Eating Disorders Forum 7
R New here and not sure if I'm overreacting? Please advise. Eating Disorders Forum 19
H Gf binge eating...advice please Eating Disorders Forum 11
Eve23 Advice please Eating Disorders Forum 1
K New to this site and New to accepting I have an eating disorder...advise please. Eating Disorders Forum 4
J Advice please? What is wrong with me? Eating Disorders Forum 2
O Girlfriend refusing treatment, some advice please!! Eating Disorders Forum 1
A Some advice please Eating Disorders Forum 4
R Recovery Tips Please! Eating Disorders Forum 2
Grimezxz NEW USER: Advice please? Eating Disorders Forum 6