• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

please, help me to understand.

D

DNA

Hello,:)
I'm new and have so many questions.:confused:
Where do I start?This is a very long and unusual story.Sorry.:redface:

I live in the U.K. but my family is in Italy.
A few years back my brother stopped all contact with our dad and family(paternal) and me.
In these last few years I gave birth to my son(7yo) who has a diagnosis of ASD(autistic spectruum disorder), most probably Asperger. The exeperience(s) with my son led me to think that I might now have been able to understand my brother a little better. So,after 8yrs,I plucked the courage to contact my brother (who lives with our mother:I stopped contact with my mother 10yrs ago), who in turn resumed contact with dad.
A very uncomfortable truth has come to light.
My brother has been in a few mental hospitals. He told me his diagnosis was manic depression with suicidal tendencies. He told me: there's nothing wrong with him; he doesn't need medication apart from occasionally a 'simple' anti-depressant and a 'light' sleeping tablet; he will never go back into hospitals; he doesn't ever want to see a psychiatrist and/or a psycologist; the tablets (antipsychotic) 'they' gave him made him ill......
3weeks ago (after only about a month worth of contact) my brother and I were chatting on the phone and the conversation 'digressed' more and more into a disjointed and incoherent string of sentences (that's how they came across to me anyway) until he lost his temper and hung up the phone. He (brother) then sent me a few e-mails across 3days of equally indeciphrable content. However, he continued to talk to dad, until 10days ago, when my brother followed a similar pattern of digression, lost his temper with dad....so now we have no contact.
Dad and I decided it was time to bite the bullet, so I phoned my mother. My mother (who constantly lies, exaggerate, victimises herself)told me that my brother has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and, because my brother is refusing medical help (tablets or otherwise),the only remaining solution is: for my brother to come on holiday to England, have an 'episode', and be taken into a therapeutic community as per advice of RETHINK. She also added that this has to be done with urgency before ''the subject in question reaches the point of no return (dementia)''.

Questions:
What are the stages of progression for schizophrenia and/or bipolar?

Can someone reach the point of 'no return'?

Can schizophrenia develop into dementia? (I thought dementia is a degenerative condition that affects the back of the brain, whereas schizophrenia afflicts the front of the brain and wouldn't be degenerative).

Which is the best way to handle someone who is talking disjointly and incoherently and ask for your opinion on their thoughts?

How does one handle an outburst of anger?(I know how to handle/care for my son, I can most times recognise the symptoms and bring him to 'safety')

Sorry about the length of the post and thank you for reading.

T

Twylight

Hi DNA,
it sound as if your brother has gone into a psychosis - this happens in Schizophrenia and can happen in Bipolar disorder.

A psychosis occurs when brain chemicals cause the mind to get very mixed up

The only real solution is medication ( anti - psychotics ) and they do work, but they are rather unpleasant to take.
I've never heard of a link between schizophrenia and dementia
Twylight

D

Dollit

I can't tell you the stages of progression of schizophrenia but as for bipolar it's very complicated. Severity, length of time of illness, whether treated, whether compounded by other things (i.e. drugs etc). Bipolar is an individual illness that has common criteria.

I reach the point of no return a lot (as a bipolar person) but that doesn't mean that there aren't ways around to living differently.

Can schizophrenia develop into dementia - ring Rethink! They'll know the answer to that.

If your brother is bipolar then he is saying something, making a series of quick progression of thought and then saying something else. If he's schizophrenic I really don't know that answer, not having had the experience.

The best thing you can do is find out exactly what your brother has and then pick up some on line leaflets at this link http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation.aspx

Anger is dealt with in the way you always deal with anger, being mentally ill doesn't make anger different but it can make you frustrated if people don't understand and you feel like you're talking another language.

L

leanne

hello dna, i to have only just joined the forum, im still abit confused but i sort of wanted to just say hi, i suffer from bi polar disorder, and i know that for the people on the outside who don't really understand the disorder it's quite a scarey thing, to have lost contact with your brother before he was diagnosed then have to find out years later must have been hard. this disorder is for me personaly has been really hard to cope with as i've hurt alot of people around me, your brother it sounds is struggling to cope, the only advise that i could give you is try and be there but in the background, when your brother has learned to cope im sure he will ask for the help and support. hope things work out.
take care.

D

DNA

thank you

Thank you,:)
for all the replies. It really feels better to talk to someone in the know.
Leanne, welcome to the forum too.:welcome:

The progression of schizophrenia to dementia was mentioned by my mother and in a link she had sent me but I had not found it anywhere else (including Rethink info).
Unfortunately my brother is refusing medication and again according to my mother there is no way on enforcing medication in Italy.
Thank you for the link.:)

I really don't know what my brother has. He said bipolar, my mother says schizophrenia. It's so confusing the similarities of symptoms given on the info pages. Having an insight of both be helpful.

Sorry if once again I ask some questions.

If I were to notice a conversation becoming strange,I should i deal with it?

When asked ''did you know that with a microwave oven you could create a weapon that could kill someone in another house and nobody would know?''my answer was ''no, I didn't know''.
but
When members of the family are getting described as beheaders,child molestors....or swear words and you are asked ''Do you agree?'' my answer of 'no' was obvoiusly not right.:(

Thank you

D

Dollit

The latter question, purely my opinion, seems to show evidence of psychosis which is basically losing touch with reality. If you can talk to his doctor then do so. Unless your brother was in hospital there's no way on enforcing a medication regime on someone in the UK either. If there was we'd all be taking what our psychs thought was best.

Asked directly a question like that it's best to hedge round it - ask him why he thinks that, tell him you've seen no evidence, that sort of thing.

D

DNA

Dollit,thank you.
Does someone loosing touch with reality get signs that this is happening? or is there a way for a carer to stop a psicosis at its initial stages?

I'm asking because in Asperger's sometimes an observer or the sufferer can recognise the signs preemptying a 'meltdown'. and if recognized in time the effects of a meltdown can be minimised and the catatonic state might only last a few minutes.

D

Dollit

You would know but they wouldn't. Psychosis from the sufferers point of view is a sort of normality. You lose touch with reality and it becomes your reality. He's showing obvious signs by the conversation I think - do remember I'm just giving you my opinion and it may be a good idea to perhaps run it past your GP for some information - it's obviously affecting you so some tips from him or her on how to deal with it may be an idea.

L

leanne

hello dna, i can't really comment on the aspergus as i don't know a thing about it but with your brother and his bipolar this and the schizophernia they are very hard to distinguise, as, in my opinion, they are very closely related, schizophernia is bipolar at it's worst, bipolar is just a mild form of it, i hope you find all the advise you need dna, i have surrered from this disorder and with the right help you can learn to live with it.
take care..xx

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DNA

Your answer is really helpful, and i'm really greatful for you sharing your experiences and opinions.

T

Twylight

When I go into psychosis I have to be hospitalised for usualy 5/6 weeks.

It takes that long for the medication to ' build up ', in the bloodstream

I'm schizophrenic.